forum

My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mm201
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday February 27, 2009 at 11:41:41 PM

Artist: My Chemical Romance
Title: Welcome to the Black Parade
BPM: 150
Filesize: 6845kb
Play Time: 04:02
Difficulties Available:
  1. Grand Marshal (4.39 stars, 363 notes)
  2. Mama (3.66 stars, 297 notes)
  3. Skull Troop (2.56 stars, 263 notes)
  4. The Patient (4.73 stars, 533 notes)
Download: My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
After spending 2 months or however long on this, I now understand exactly why the MCR-haters say they can't stand Gerard's voice. :P

Nonetheless, I spent tons of time on this, so I hope you'll all enjoy it. Comments/modding appreciated as always.

BAT #1: Larto
BAT #2: RemmyX25

Changelog:
Nov.1, 2008: Timing has been corrected to my satisfaction. On to Hard!
Nov. 27, 2008: Keep-alive post. Hard is halfway complete. Note the changes in difficulty names. Using the shorter "single" version of the song.
Jan. 28, 2009: Revived, and the two easiest difficulties have been completed, meaning this is complete.
Feb. 2, 2009: A small number of combo number adjustments.
Feb. 14, 2009: More combo number adjustments, thanks to Larto.
Feb. 16, 2009: Improved timing and added CheeseWarlock's suggestions.
Feb. 27, 2009: Altered a few hitsounds and implemented fufe's suggestions.
Seibei4211
02:16:56 (1,2) - Isn't this cheating? Wth? 8th's on a 194 BPM map is a pretty big dick move, man. 1,552 BPM is pretty fast. But eh. You could just wait and see what someone else thinks of this.

I was gonna check timing, but holy crap. Yeah, not 4:40am material for me.
DawnII
I suggest you use the version of Welcome to the Black Parade that was on the single, which essentially cuts out a minute of the song (1:00 to ~1:45). But since you've already mapped this one, I guess you might as well go through with it.

Timing (take with a grain of salt, UO could be flippy):
150 BPM/3,317 Offset
194/106,896
175.1/217,850

Other than that very good job with it.

Very cool use of custom sounds. I agree with Seibei, lose the 1/8 stacks. They are quite ridiculous. It will sound fine without them as well. Additionally:
04:06:84 (7,8,9) - I don't like how this sounds at all. Consider removing 8 or both 7 and 8.

The max score currently is likely too high to be considered for ranking. You could try playing with difficulty settings to lower the score, but I would suggest maybe toning down some of the streams in the 194 BPM sections. Other than that this map is very well made.
Topic Starter
mm201

DawnII wrote:

I agree with Seibei, lose the 1/8 stacks. They are quite ridiculous. It will sound fine without them as well.
I can hit usually them cleanly and I'm not that good a player. They don't really contribute much (aside from truly synching to the drum :P), so will do.

If I remove the first two sections (constant 1/3s), the score drops to the 8 million range. I might rework those sections, but that was what I had planned for Hard. Maybe I'll try to get an Easy, Normal, and Hard ranked, with an Insane at Approved.
foulcoon
Alright timing = wtfux

BPM: 150 / Offset: 3,330
194 / 108,150
173 / 212,325
176 / 223,425
194 / 247.650

All slowdowns between then.... Good Luck?

I'm never confident in any timing so... =/. You should force someone good to do it, but i could tell that some of your current offsets were off, so definitely take a look at what i've given you.
m980
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
mm201
Traditional bump since Bancho is down.

A note on the 1/6 stacks on Insane (changed from 1/8 to 1/6): These are the same kinds of quick doubles James used in Yoru Sou, so they are most certainly rankable. If I can FC them, so can you!

Comments/criticism/naziing appreciated as always!
Larto
Skull Troop:
01:34:43 (7) - New combo maybe
01:44:49 (8) - ^
02:24:23 (8) - ^
Don't have to say more.

This map is freaking awesome.
Unbelievable how many fascinating mappers we have here on osu!~
Topic Starter
mm201
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Larto
CheeseWarlock
Topic Starter
mm201

CheeseWarlock wrote:

[All difficulties]
Offset sounds generally a bit late. Can't handle any more of this song at the moment, though.
I've tweaked the offsets a little further. The first (slow) part is difficult to time because of how quiet the instrumentation is. I'm pretty confident about all the 194BPM sections now, barring any new standard being used for universal offsets. The others sound very good ingame now, too.

CheeseWarlock wrote:

The tick rate at the beginning doesn't work with the song. (Slider ticks on 1/2 beats, rhythm on 1/3 beats) I think the best solution would be to halve the BPM for the first few sections. (And that'll make the countdown nicer too, though you could fix that by setting it to half speed)
I'll half the countdown, but halving the BPM makes those sliders much too slow. Doubling the BPM + halving the tick rate for the other sections makes those sliders much too fast. In either case, I'm looking at a ton of work rebuilding the entire map from the ground up to reshape/respace the sliders. I find the 1/2 ticks work just fine.

CheeseWarlock wrote:

03:03:83 (1) - This spinner is the only thing that suffers from poor timing: it ends noticeably late.
That cymbal crash that the spinner is supposed to be synched to is actually mistimed. I've adjusted one of the sections to accommodate it.

CheeseWarlock wrote:

[The Patient]
01:02:38 (1) - This entire section between these two breaks irritates me a lot. You switch randomly between 1/2 and 1/3 snaps (I hear how it fits, but it's poorly implemented). Your streams are poorly spaced and ugly. Also, the slider speed could stand to be higher; it's the same as two of the other difficulties and the sliders feel so easy compared to the streams, jumps and everything else the hitcircles are doing.
The only spacing deviations were a separation by a couple grid squares to create note "groups." These have been removed and spaced uniformly. I removed most of the 1/2 sliders to try and improve flow.

Thanks for going out of your way to take a look at this.
fufe
[Patient]
•First thing that strikes me is its reallly hard for me to count the black drumrolls against the black background. But meh, ill live.
•01:50:786 - 1/8th hits they were talking about above? I couldnt read them at all. Its hard enough keeping up with the difficulty as is imo.
•Lastly, this is the most forgiving insane map ive played. You can miss almost 1½ combos and still stay alive in some parts. not hatin just statin p.p

[all]
•Another thing that stuck out to me were really fufin loud whistles on quiet drumbeats. I personally hate whistles as is so these loud ones made me cringe a little. At 03:28:584 it goes from BLAM LOUD WHISTLES to pleasant ones. I could understand the volume difference being intentional but the loud ones are starting to give me teh headache lol.

I was able to play through all of the hardest two and a section of the other two. Looks stable. I enjoyed it.
Topic Starter
mm201

fufe wrote:

[Patient]
•First thing that strikes me is its reallly hard for me to count the black drumrolls against the black background. But meh, ill live.
I could probably tweak the circle colours a little further, but lightening them too much would compromise their 'blackness'. Personally, I find them easy to see. What's your monitor gamma like? :P

fufe wrote:

•01:50:786 - 1/8th hits they were talking about above? I couldnt read them at all. Its hard enough keeping up with the difficulty as is imo.
3 votes against. Guess it's time to nix them. :(

fufe wrote:

•Lastly, this is the most forgiving insane map ive played. You can miss almost 1½ combos and still stay alive in some parts. not hatin just statin p.p
I had to lower the drain rate to keep the score from being > 14 million.

fufe wrote:

[all]
•Another thing that stuck out to me were really fufin loud whistles on quiet drumbeats. I personally hate whistles as is so these loud ones made me cringe a little. At 03:28:584 it goes from BLAM LOUD WHISTLES to pleasant ones. I could understand the volume difference being intentional but the loud ones are starting to give me teh headache lol.
I never touched their volume at all. I guess I'm just used to loud whistles. ^.^; Will lower them by 6db when I sign on osu! this evening.
insanityprawnboy
Larto
When I Was.
Not a BAT.
It wouldn't.
Even have mattered at all.
Because this map just rules.

Boxxybubbled.
RemmyX25
WHEN I WAS....

ranked.
RemmyX25
3/11/09
16:14 <RemmyX25> : WHEN I WAS
16:15 <Larto> : A YOUNG BOY
16:15 <CheeseWarlock> : MY FATHER
16:15 <Larto> : TOOK ME INTO THE CITY
16:15 <DawnII> : TO SEE A MARCHING BAND
16:15 <CheeseWarlock> : HE SAID SON WHEN
16:15 <Larto> : YOU GROW UP
16:15 <DawnII> : YA GROW UP
16:15 <LadySuburu> : ^
16:15 <CheeseWarlock> : frosted butts
16:15 <DawnII> : oh fuck I ruined it
16:15 <Leo> : :P
16:15 <LadySuburu> : Truth
16:15 <Larto> : Fuuck
16:15 <Larto> : Well
16:15 <Larto> : We got far
16:15 <Hayato_Saionji> : OSU!!!
16:15 <LadySuburu> : When you grow up: Ya grow up.
Keyboard_old
I love you for making this map !!!!
blade456
Managed to top the leaderboards on taiko mode on the paitient difficulty i feel so proud of myself
show more