forum

Storyboarding the fail sequence

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +72
Topic Starter
K2J
As it stands, when you fail a song, failsound plays immediately after the HP reaches zero, the game speed winds down, and the hit objects go off in various directions, all before the fail image and Retry/Quit options appear. Now, it's possible to skin the fail image and the failsound, but they occur at different times. You could add some silence to the failsound, but it's a workaround that I suspect may not work the same on all systems.

In EBA, there are actually two failsounds: one immediately as the song fails (the record winding down, akin to what osu! does natively) and one when the "Regroup?" menu pops up (the one currently used as the failsound in the EliteBeatOsu skin). In addition, an entire scene occurs, relevant to the story at hand, before the generalized failure message.

So, here's what I propose: a way to storyboard the failing sequence, probably with a separate file from the main file. The failsound still plays where it does now, and when the main screen fades out, the storyboard plays. After the storyboard runs, the Retry/Quit options appear. Just as now, if the mouse is clicked at any time, it skips straight to the end, jumping over everything else in the storyboard.

I know this seems like a minor issue, but it's always been something that's bugged me - the rest of osu! seems perfect for emulating the stories of the DS games, save the failure sequences. Even for really simple things, like the garage door in EliteBeatOsu coming down from above instead of just fading in.
Remco32
Extra storyboard opportunity's?
I'm in!
Larto
Sounds pretty cool, and I definitely want this.

I can't imagine yet, how to do this in the SBE, though, maybe clicking on an extra button "Storyboard Fail Sequence"...

Anyways, that'd be cool. And if this is going to be implemented, I want m980 to add the Fail Sequence in YTI, because that's such a sad Fail </3

------------------------
m980 Edit

I would've done this, but then there's the problem with people who don't like the fail scene (Sinistro). And they would kill me. Also Full Submit = Kill Scores?
------------------------
awp
It would be cool to skin this in skins as well, for when a storyboarded failure is not present.
Sinistro
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
K2J
Bump.
Derekku
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
m980
Yes plz
Torran
Support.
machol30
I would definitely love to see this feature implemented, yes.
rust45
I didn't show my support here? Well I do now.
qlum
support +?
Xiao_old
As long as you can skip storyboarded fails I don't mind.
Starrodkirby86
And I was just thinking about this too.

I'd like this to be implemented~
Zerostarry
Support. orz.
Sleep Powder
Echo
If this gets used in more than once out of every a hundred maps, I'll eat my hat.
peppy
Topic Starter
K2J
If you're leaning towards a denial, can I at least reach a compromise of having a sample explicitly for when the Retry screen appears, along with the current failsound?
awp

Echo wrote:

If this gets used in more than once out of every a hundred maps, I'll eat my hat.
Are you talking 100 maps overall, 100 completed maps, or 100 above average maps? I wouldn't want to discourage anyone who puts more than minimal effort into the presentation aspect of beatmapping.

@K2J NO COMPROMISING! Without the visual component it's all for naught!
show more