forum

NES Classic

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Level-Up!
Just a skin based on several Nintendo games.
Edit:Download is a few posts down.

Note: The original beat explosions are below the new ones are there because when I was going to remove them, I realized they looked a bit better this way in my opinion.

LuigiHann
Hmm. Here are my opinions, feel free to take them with a grain of salt.

Things I like:
-The flag as the score bar
-Morph ball samus
-The general look of the beat explosions

Things I think could be improved:
-Things that aren't skinned should be (followpoint, sliderscorepoint, and the spinner background)
-While I do like the use of Link as the reverse arrow, the size of the sprite makes it awkward. Maybe shrink him a bit, so that he doesn't extend so far beyond the edges of the circle. Also, why the GBC sprite instead of an NES one?
-The hit circles as "?" Blocks is clever, but you seem to be placing a square peg in a round whole, so to speak. Maybe lose the straight edges, and just paste the ? mark onto a blank circle. If you want, you could then try to add a border to the circle (probably on the "overlay" image) to make it look more like the ? blocks.
-I see what you mean about the star explosions looking good behind yours, but I suggest at least tracing over them yourself on a new layer. That way you'd have the benefit of that star shape, but none of the original skin actually shows.
-I feel like there should be some kind of game logic behind the choice of sprites for the beat explosions. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it as far as I can tell. They all look good, but as a set they don't feel cohesive. Although I just noticed that the Elite Beat is a sort of combination of the 300 and the regular Beat, so maybe I'm not giving you enough credit. In any case, you should consider throwing in a sprite of Beat. :P

Things I object to on a fundamental level:
-Pokemon. Not that I have anything against Pokemon, but it doesn't fit the theme.

I know that seems like a lot of complaints, but they're mostly small nitpicks that just require a lot of words to explain. It's still good.
Topic Starter
Level-Up!
Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll see what I can do.
Kylecito
Please include screenshots on first post!
Topic Starter
Level-Up!
Update.

Again, a Note: I haven't had a chance to try tracing the beat explosions yet, LuigiHann. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Download: NES Classic.rar
Gilrad
My only gripe with it is how dark it is. Maybe it's just me, but skins seem to be more playable when they have brighter colors.
peppy
Sorry your screenshot got lost in an unfortunate upppy server move. Might want to put a new one up! (can just use the forum attachment support).
RemmyX25
I've got to hand it to you, this is one of my favorite skins next to the ouendan and EBA ones. So many good memories. One question... what did you use for the 50 marker?
Topic Starter
Level-Up!
The blocks from Tetris.
peppy
Hey Level-Up could you please reupload your skin/screenshot using forum attachments? upppy lost a bit of data including your skin last week, unforutnately ;(
peppy
Added this skin to the updater :).
Topic Starter
Level-Up!
Gah! I forgot to update with the latest version!

Updated.

Download: NESClassic.rar
peppy
Updated! I like the new additions :).
hadoken_zero
Congratration!

???
LuigiHann

hadoken_zero wrote:

Congratration!

???
Presumably, he's referencing the ending to Ghosts 'n Goblins, among other things.

Edit: aww.
awp
Conglaturation !!!

YOU HAVE COMPLETED A GREAT GAME.
Nekorom
You have pooved the justice in our world
gou32

awp wrote:

Conglaturation !!!

YOU HAVE COMPLETED A GREAT GAME.

LOL ghostbusters (the game) sucked
chibilawl