forum

WarioWare Skinned! v1.5

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Behon
CHANGELOG
6/5/08- Initial preview build.
6/7/08- Redid everything using the pixelation advice given earlier, added EBASprite approaching circles, and added countdown graphics.
6/8/08- Changed slider graphics, life meter, and panel colors. Added new Beat and Elite Beat symbols. Changed circle overlay from yellow back to white. Several mod graphics have been replaced but there are still many others to go.
6/10/08- Finished mods. need to work on some of the text and figure out the spinner meter. I've also removed the hand cursor, as using the top-left corner and the fingertip has proven cumbersome.
6/18/08: FIRST PUBLIC BUILD IS OUT. Not final version. [link removed]
7/23/08: Next build out. Includes several graphical improvements and fewer custom sounds.
7/26/08: 1.2 out. Drop shadows applied to several graphics and hit graphics given more shading. Garlic reverse arrow flipped properly horizontal.
7/29/08: 1.3 out. Many sounds added, borders taken off hitcircles to look better.
9/4/08: 1.4. Combo burst graphic, new and improved cursor, cleaned up graphics.
9/5/08: 1.5. Lots of text graphics cleaned up as well as the cursor.

https://www.mediafire.com/?6locq8l0h64m4gx
WarioWare is one of my favorite series, so I figured I'd try my hand at skin-making with it.
xerxes_oli
most of it looks good the life bar looks pixelated you might wanna fix it... umm the spinner picture not the best you could have gone with...maybe the wario face from the wario smooth moves cover and is the red square-ish ball suppose to be the slider circle?
anywho i like the charaters at the scores,the beats,the back button and the slider beats
Topic Starter
Behon
The slider circle is from the Game Boy game, and looks much better and rounder in motion.

I'll try vectoring the health icons and spinner.

I still think I should replace the character parts. There's only room for three of them, so it would get repetitive.
awp
For the spinner, you might want to remove that background and do something else with it as well. WarioWare is crazy; there's a lot of fun stuff you can do.
ROMaster2
I'll be looking forward to this one!
LuigiHann
Wow, how'd I miss this?

My suggestion for the lifebar is to embrace the pixely-ness, and use "nearest neighbor" resizing instead of bicubic or bilinear, so there's no anti-aliasing. Given Warioware's craziness, intentional pixelization like that would fit right in. I'd just rather have it look blocky than blurry.

And yeah, the crazier the better, all around.
YoshiKart
Same here!

Maybe you could include the time bomb and string into the life bar, and use hit circles for something else. :P
Topic Starter
Behon

LuigiHann wrote:

My suggestion for the lifebar is to embrace the pixely-ness, and use "nearest neighbor" resizing instead of bicubic or bilinear, so there's no anti-aliasing. Given Warioware's craziness, intentional pixelization like that would fit right in. I'd just rather have it look blocky than blurry.
I didn't know there was something like that in Photoshop. Where can I adjust that?
peppy
When you are resizing, do it from the menu Image > Image Size.
In the dialog that appears, you will be able to choose the resize method near the bottom, which should give you a few options, one being nearest neighbour.
RemmyX25

YoshiKart wrote:

Same here!

Maybe you could include the time bomb and string into the life bar, and use hit circles for something else. :P
Thats a great idea for the hp bar! And I also really like the idea for the spinner. I look forward to this!
machol30
This is a great idea for a skin. The spinner is a little too blurry, but I like it. Lifebar (as most people already said) is too blocky and blurry. And the timebomb down sound much better. ;P I do love the hit circles, but I'm a little uncertain about the back-button.
YoshiKart
If only there was a way to put the health bar down at the bottom. That would be epic AND classic. =D
xerxes_oli

YoshiKart wrote:

If only there was a way to put the health bar down at the bottom. That would be epic AND classic. =D
maybe you should ask peppy
Topic Starter
Behon
Updates! Thanks to everyone for the Photoshop and health bar advice.

I've added a yellow border around the circles to go with Wario's normal clothes, but I'm still thinking about changing it. If anyone has ideas for the color or design of the border, let me know.

The rings that move inward were copied from the EBASprite pack. I felt they fit the style well.

And Peppy, if you think there might be a way to program a true-to-the-game rope meter at the bottom, let me know.

awp
remove the cursortrail if you haven't already - under a hand it looks pretty ugly.
RemmyX25
Definetly go with the time bomb w/string, and maybe make the fuse bigger as it gets to <No!> or something? I was thinking making the bomb get ready to explode instead, but I'm not sure if its possible to do that. Also, will you be using WarioWare voices for your countdown?
xerxes_oli
i think it looks pretty good
Topic Starter
Behon
In terms of voices, I've found a pack of Wario lines from Mario 64 and am already using some for the GO sound ("Here I go"), the pass section ("Wa ha ha"), the fail section ("Waaaaah"), and applause ("I'm-a gonna win"). I might try and rip some other voice samples from the Game Boy games. However, I do need some help. No matter how much I raise the volume of the samples, they're still very quiet when I use the skin in gameplay. Also, if someone thinks they can do a good Wario impression, lines for the countdown would be great.

And regarding the cursortrail, how do I remove it? I can't find a sprite or skin setting that turns it on and off.
awp
Mario Kart 64 fuck yeah

to remove cursortrail.png, replace it with an invisible .png - if you've got osu! Ends With You, count1.png is one such "invisible" png.
Topic Starter
Behon
I don't know if emulation talk is allowed here, but I'm trying to rip individual voice and sound samples from the GBA games but can't silence the other audio parts (ie turning off the music), not through ingame options or anything like ZSNES's audio channels. Does anyone know how to remedy this?
show more