forum

Taiko Specific Map Guidelines

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rokodo
These guidelines are based on authentic Taiko no Tatsujin games and should be followed in order to produce a fun and enjoyable taiko specific map.

Note Colours and Sounds

Red (Don) = Normal hitsound
Blue (Ka/Kat) = Clap or Whistle
Big Note = Finish

Difficulty Settings and Song Setup

It is hard to comment on these as they require qualitative decision making, but for a standard difficulty similar to Taiko no Tatsujin settings, use this setup:

Custom combo colours do not really matter to taiko as they will be overridden in actual gameplay. The case is the same with combo numbering, but you may wish to use the numbering to mark out red/blue notes visually within edit mode (assuming no custom colours have been set):

Remember to set other settings accordingly:

(More details on some of these can be found in the sections below.)

Stack leniency doesn't apply to a taiko map, I just leave the setting as it is default or the same as the map I am working from in the case of a guest map. Set Taiko as the allowed mode.

Countdown

Don't use countdown on a taiko specific map. If the notes start too quickly, add a lead-in time.

Slider Velocity

1.4 is the standard slider velocity that is recommended to be used in taiko specific maps.
1.5 and 1.6 may be tolerable in some cases with a slower BPM.
The slider velocity figure affects the spacing of all the notes in taiko mode.

Finish Notes

These notes should not be used in 1/4 or 1/6 or 1/8 streams, even at the beginning or the end. This is because the player is supposed to hit this type of note with both keys corresponding to the note's colour. To be safe, leave at least a 1/2 beat between a finish note and any other note or object in the map.

Below - 1/2 beat spacing between a normal circle and a finish circle in a taiko specific map (1.4 slider velocity):

There is an exception to the finish note rule, see note streams below.*

Note Streams

For the majority of maps, only 1/2 or 1/4 beat note streams should be used.

For some maps, a sequence of 4 notes in a 1/6 stream may be used. Below is a visual example of this under 1.4 slider velocity:

For some of the hardest maps, 1/6 or 1/8 patterns weaved into 1/4 streams may be acceptable, especially at the beginning or end of the streams. This is not recommended unless you know what you are doing or have access to someone who is knowledgeable about authentic Taiko no Tatsujin maps. Below is an example of a 1/8 pattern weaved into a 1/4 stream (1.4 slider velocity):

Some songs may have sections where a 1/3 stream is more appropriate within certain sections of it (1.4 slider velocity):

*Here lies the exception to the finish note rule, where it may be used at the end of a 1/3 beat stream as long as that stream does not have any objects after it within a 1/2 beat space:

Kiai Time

Kiai (a concept based on Taiko no Tatsujin's "go go time") sections are only to be used for the chorus(es) of a song. Do not use short "flashes" of kiai like you might use in an osu! standard map. The maximum number of kiai sections to be used in a taiko specific map is 3.

Note Combo

The majority of authentic Taiko no Tatsujin maps are kept to 999 notes or below. This does not have to be enforced in osu!
Special note combos may be used to signify certain points of relevance. For example, in Taiko no Tatsujin 765 is a Namco reference.
Refer to someone with current knowledge of authentic games to find out more.

Sliders

Drumrolls in Taiko no Tatsujin. Use sparingly within a map and keep a 1/2 beat space between them and any other object. Try not to put sliders one after each other - 2 or 3 in a row may be acceptable in some cases.

Spinners

These should be used sparingly as they represent the bonus notes from Taiko no Tatsujin. Not completing a spinner does not effect whether you full combo or S a map. Do not put more than 2 spinners in a row.
Normal use: Leave at least a 1/2 beat between a note and a spinner, or 1/2 a beat between a slider and a spinner.
Exception use: You may put a spinner at the end of a note stream, 1/4, 1/6 or 1/8.

BPM Changes

Unnecessary BPM changes are not recommended unless the song has a relatively low BPM. In this case, 2 x BPM should only be used for kiai time.

When changing BPM it is advisable not to have notes visually overlapping during gameplay as this is unnecessarily confusing for the player. One method of remedying this is to use a series of slowing slider velocity sections:

Note in the example above that multiple slider velocities are used to show a visual slowdown of notes, without the 0.5 section being "overlapped" by the final note preceding it.

Break Sections

Taiko specific maps should not contain any break sections whatsoever.

Custom Hitbursts

These can be overridden by a taiko skin at the player's discretion. It is therefore advised not to assign custom hitbursts to a taiko map.

Custom Hitsounds

Don't use them in taiko specific maps. Keep volume at a consistent level (e.g. 70%) in keeping with the song throughout all timing sections, with the beat still somewhat audible. A softer song calls for a softer drumbeat, but not an inaudible one.
lepidopodus
My thinkings about this guidelines.

Rokodo wrote:

Slider Velocity

1.4 is the standard slider velocity that is recommended to be used in taiko specific maps. 1.6 is becoming increasingly popular, however.
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND to use SV 1.4, and actually, I hate other slider velocity.

Rokodo wrote:

Finish Notes

These notes should not be used in 1/4 or 1/6 or 1/8 streams, even at the beginning or the end. This is because the player is supposed to hit this type of note with both keys corresponding to the note's colour. To be safe, leave at least a 1/2 beat between a finish note and any other note or object in the map.
Also, big notes in 1/4, 1/6, 1/8 are too hard for reading patterns.

Rokodo wrote:

Kiai Time

Kiai sections are only to be used for the chorus(es) of a song. Do not use short "flashes" of kiai like you might do for a standard map. The maximum number of kiai sections to be used in a taiko specific map is 3.
Maximum number of Kiai isn't that important as I think, but usually they don't need to be used over 3 times because of composition of the songs.

Rokodo wrote:

Note Combo

Keep the circle count of taiko specific maps at 999 or below. (In accordance with Taiko no Tatsujin rules.)
My case I don't care others making maps over 999 combos if the song is too long, but I tend to keep this rule.

Rokodo wrote:

BPM Changes

Unnecessary BPM changes are not recommended unless the song has a relatively low BPM. In this case, 2 x BPM should only be used for kiai time.
Sometimes 2 x BPM is used in whole song, though it's rare.

Rokodo wrote:

Break Sections

Taiko specific maps should not contain any break sections whatsoever.
I don't care about this when I map full ver. (like over 3:30 min) of the song, but I tend to avoid to put breaks. It can be replaced by relatively simple patterns...

Rokodo wrote:

Custom Hitbursts

At the time of writing there is no way to turn of custom hitbursts in map sets unless the files were deleted from the beatmap folder. It is highly recommended that you do not use custom hitbursts if there is a taiko specifc map in the mapset. The hitbursts at the time of writing this guide cannot be overridden with the standard taiko skin hitbursts.
Yeah, some hitbursts are really annoying when playing taiko.

Rokodo wrote:

Custom Sounds

Don't use them in taiko specific maps. Keep volume at 100% on Normal setting.
If 'forcing taiko skin' option is turned on, custom hitsound don't work, though it seems other custom sound effects work.
I tend to use relatively loud hitsound, but it can be varied if the volume of the song is too low.

Maybe we need to discuss about the guidelines, and make it more 'solid'? As more and more taiko specific maps are made, we need some kind of standard.
MMzz
Only gonna right on the ones I have a discussion about.

Rokodo wrote:

Slider Velocity

1.4 is the standard slider velocity that is recommended to be used in taiko specific maps. 1.6 is becoming increasingly popular, however.
This is one of the strongest things that needs to be enforced into making a tako map. Even if the song has a slow BPM I find it annoying that people but Slider Velocity up past 1.40.

Rokodo wrote:

Finish Notes

Below - 1/2 beat spacing between a normal circle and a finish circle in a taiko specific map (1.4 slider velocity):
This is the biggest thing that needs to be in play.
Although I don't see much of it when I go and Mod maps.

Rokodo wrote:

Note Combo

Keep the circle count of taiko specific maps at 999 or below. (In accordance with Taiko no Tatsujin rules.)
This is somthing I wanna argue about. I don't really think it's a "RULE" but more of another one of those weird things Namco does. But this should only be depending on the time of the song.

Lepidopodus wrote:

Maybe we need to discuss about the guidelines, and make it more 'solid'? As more and more taiko specific maps are made, we need some kind of standard.
A nice "solid" mapping criteria would be nice, but I wouldn't want to take it so far that the mapper's creativity gets taken away just because it's not "Authentic"
lepidopodus
Maybe we should make and distinguish some rules and recommendations...

EDIT: And I think we should mention about measures and barlines.
MMzz

lepidopodus wrote:

Maybe we should make and distinguish some rules and recommendations...

EDIT: And I think we should mention about measures and barlines.
And the proper use and placement of 1/3 - 1/6 - 1/8.
crystalsuicune
About the whole "no combos over 999" thing..it's actually because the current
system for AC!Taiko cannot support over 999 notes.
I bet that 765 will go over 1000
notes if they can get around this technical limitation.

So I suppose this shouldn't be an actual rule,
especially when songs used in osu! can be pretty long.

2xBPM for the whole song..?*stares at Ryougen*Only the beginning's on its original BPM..
lepidopodus
Actually I think that 999 combo rule is some kind of tradition.
arien666

lepidopodus wrote:

^

Also, Is that rule effective for TaikOsu???
MMzz

lepidopodus wrote:

MittenMasterzz wrote:

I don't really think it's a "RULE" but more of another one of those weird things Namco does.
Like I said.
But I can see the point where Crystal-Don is comming from.
Roga-don

arken1015 wrote:

Also, Is that rule effective for TaikOsu???
I think no.
As I remember, Peppy already said that it was NOT a taiko no tatsujin simulator, even the score rules are different :?
lepidopodus
for TaikOsu? Well you should consider them, but TaikOsu is basically Standard map so I think it's not manditory.
And Oviously Osu Taiko mode is somewhat different from TnT simulator. Well actually some of mechanisms is somewhat different.
But we can implement some aspects from TnT though.
MMzz

lepidopodus wrote:

for TaikOsu? Well you should consider them, but TaikOsu is basically Standard map so I think it's not manditory.
And Oviously Osu Taiko mode is somewhat different from TnT simulator. Well actually some of mechanisms is somewhat different.
But we can implement some aspects from TnT though.
Yes, like the fact TnT's accuracy is 10x Stricter.
Zekira
2xBPM for the whole song..?*stares at Ryougen*Only the beginning's on its original BPM..
Family Dondon actually runs on 244 BPM with HS0.5, while the lower difficulties run on 122 BPM, as can be noted by the speed of the characters; this may prove that the Taiko no Tatsujin engine couldn't support 1/8 or something

Also, I don't think the 999 thingy is a rule. As crystal said, the only thing that's preventing 765 from going over 999 is more of technical than a tradition actually: I'm pretty sure 765 wanted to keep ddddkdddddddkdddddddkdddddddkdddkkkkddddkkkkddddkkddkkddkkddkkddd in Bachio-sensei Ura, but couldn't
arien666

Zekira wrote:

Family Dondon actually runs on 244 BPM with HS0.5, while the lower difficulties run on 122 BPM, as can be noted by the speed of the characters; this may prove that the Taiko no Tatsujin engine couldn't support 1/8 or something
Also, Hataraku :3
Umm???

Then, does TnT support 1/6 notes??? [Tenjiku is not HS2]
lepidopodus

arken1015 wrote:

Then, does TnT support 1/6 notes??? [Tenjiku is not HS2]
TnT Supports 1/6 notes.
lepidopodus
Maybe we should debate about this one again but kinda hard to gather those 'minorities lurking in somewhere between majorities'.
(Or making new topic or something like that.)

Wake up guys... *sigh*

EDIT: And I really think we should mention here about measures and barlines.

EDIT 2:
Well we should do something with these issues.

Countdown: Permit or not
Slider Velocity: Force/recommend some value or leave it to mappers to set freely
Finish Notes in 1/4 streams: Allow it or not
Kiai Time: Should use/leave it to mappers & Set some restrictions/leave it to mappers
Note Combo: Limited to 999/no restrictions
Drum rolls: Not to use short drum rolls/spam drum rolls etc.
Spinners: Restrict them by some way or not
Overlapped notes by BPM Changes: same as above.
Break Sections: Allow it or not
Custom Hitbursts: No way to fix this currently
Measures and Barlines etc...
1/8 notes
Sudden change of Scroll speed

Feel free to add issues. I know it's knida useless effort but well, I just wanted to try. Just don't laugh at me.
Topic Starter
Rokodo

lepidopodus wrote:

Maybe we should debate about this one again but kinda hard to gather those 'minorities lurking in somewhere between majorities'.
(Or making new topic or something like that.)

Wake up guys... *sigh*

EDIT: And I really think we should mention here about measures and barlines.

EDIT 2:
Well we should do something with these issues.

Countdown: Permit or not
Slider Velocity: Force/recommend some value or leave it to mappers to set freely
Finish Notes in 1/4 streams: Allow it or not
Kiai Time: Should use/leave it to mappers & Set some restrictions/leave it to mappers
Note Combo: Limited to 999/no restrictions
Drum rolls: Not to use short drum rolls/spam drum rolls etc.
Spinners: Restrict them by some way or not
Overlapped notes by BPM Changes: same as above.
Break Sections: Allow it or not
Custom Hitbursts: No way to fix this currently
Measures and Barlines etc...

Feel free to add issues. I know it's knida useless effort but well, I just wanted to try. Just don't laugh at me.
My personal thoughts on this:

Countdowns in taiko specific maps should not be permitted. Period.

There should be a warning for changing slider velocity like some sort of hint popup stating that 1.4 is the visual optimum based on authentic Taiko no Tatsujin games, and that this should generally be used as a default or base (i.e. not kiai time) velocity for maps. I also think some people might be confused by 1/3 + 1/6 or 'odd beat' timed maps (e.g. Metal Hawk) from TnT as they appear to use a different slider velocity if you do not recognize that the beats are not even such as is the case in 1/2 or 1/4 streams.

Note combo... I still prefer to map to 999 or under but we cannot stop people from mapping over this 'limit'.
We used to say no 1/8 in taiko maps, then Namco ruined that anyway. So I won't tell people what to do here anymore. It's really personal preference.

Finish notes should rarely be used in 1/4 timing let alone streams. There are a couple of exceptions, i.e. using a faster custom slider velocity and adding a few finishes such as D KD KD. As long as the notes aren't visually overlapping cases like this are acceptable for short periods of a map:

1/4 finish notes on 1.75x velocity.

Overlapping notes on BPM changes can be avoided if the mapper knows what s/he is doing, just make sure that the notes between different BPM sections are at least 1 beat apart and it should be readable. Sometimes slowdown just cannot be helped, even in my maps:

As long as the BPM is not going from insanely fast to insanely slow I think this is ok. It is subject to opinion.

Spinners cannot really be regulated but they shouldn't be used one after the other or for long periods, say for more than 4 beats.

Again, kiai time is hard to regulate in terms of how many times people use it. However, there should be a warning dialog as I would like to see when changing slider velocity for taiko specific maps that states it should be used for consistent periods during a) the chorus of the song or b) the ending section of the song if there is no notable chorus. I'm personally sick of seeing these kiai 'flashes' in taiko specific map attempts.

Break sections should not be permitted where possible, and forced ones can be deleted with minimal knowledge after the completion of a beatmap using Notepad if required. The only trouble is if the taiko difficulty is the only map in the set then you cannot export an osz as going back into the taiko difficulty will result in a break section being automatically added again. orz

Drum rolls are really determined by osu! and so the number of beats on them cannot be controlled as such. Repetitive drum rolls i.e. more than 2 in a row on taiko specific difficulties should really be avoided.

As for measures and barlines, I usually leave tick rate (which should control the amount of barlines as is my understanding) at 1 or set to 0.5. It doesn't seem to matter what you set it to in osu! below 1 at the moment.
lepidopodus
I mostly agreed with Rokodo.

Rokodo wrote:

We used to say no 1/8 in taiko maps, then Namco ruined that anyway. So I won't tell people what to do here anymore. It's really personal preference.
I think we should avoid to use 1/8, cause it usually too overlapped(and this means hard to read them properly), and hard to hit(as player should tap keys twice faster than 1/4). Most of case 1/8 does not match the song a lot. But we can't prohibit to use 1/8s, as Rokodo said.

Rokodo wrote:

Finish notes should rarely be used in 1/4 timing let alone streams. There are a couple of exceptions, i.e. using a faster custom slider velocity and adding a few finishes such as D KD KD. As long as the notes aren't visually overlapping cases like this are acceptable for short periods of a map:
So we need exact standard of that... I should think about that.

Rokodo wrote:

Spinners cannot really be regulated but they shouldn't be used one after the other or for long periods, say for more than 4 beats.
I think it shouldn't too close to next notes, as it can interupt hitting it. Of course, spamming spinners should be avoided.

Rokodo wrote:

Break sections should not be permitted where possible, and forced ones can be deleted with minimal knowledge after the completion of a beatmap using Notepad if required. The only trouble is if the taiko difficulty is the only map in the set then you cannot export an osz as going back into the taiko difficulty will result in a break section being automatically added again. orz
We don't need Break section in short maps but in the case that the map is long or osu automatically add those, it can be permitted.

Rokodo wrote:

As for measures and barlines, I usually leave tick rate (which should control the amount of barlines as is my understanding) at 1 or set to 0.5. It doesn't seem to matter what you set it to in osu! below 1 at the moment.
Uh... tick rate aren't affect barlines that way as I know. I mean, lots of mappers in osu ignore barlines, but in Taiko barlines are actually appeared when you play the game so I think we should check that barlines are placed properly.

EDIT:
Countdown: X
Slider Velocity: 1.4 recommend?
1/8 notes: Avoid
Finish Notes in 1/4 streams: X (need standard)
Kiai Time: no restrictions
Note Combo: no restrictions
Drum rolls: Avoid use this over two in a row.
Spinners: End of sppiner should be at least 1/2 away from the next note.
Sudden change of Scroll speed: Need warning
Overlapped notes by BPM Changes: Avoid
Break Sections: allow with certain circumtances
Measures and Barlines: Should be checked

uh.... something like this?
Zekira
Countdown: DISABLE.
Slider Velocity: 1.4 unless special cases occur.
1/8 notes: 1/8 isn't usually practical on any rhythm game, not just Taiko.
Finish Notes in 1/4 streams: NO, unless you're going for something special.
Drum rolls: Only use when called for.
Spinners: No restrictions, just no overlapping.
Sudden change of Scroll speed: Avoid using anything higher than 3x and lower than 0.33x.
Overlapped notes by BPM Changes: NO.
Break Sections: try right-clicking to eliminate.
Measures and Barlines: Definitely. If it is necessary to keep adding red lines, do it.
lepidopodus

Zekira wrote:

Countdown: DISABLE.
Slider Velocity: 1.4 unless special cases occur.
1/8 notes: 1/8 isn't usually practical on any rhythm game, not just Taiko.
Finish Notes in 1/4 streams: NO, unless you're going for something special.
Drum rolls: Only use when called for.
Spinners: No restrictions, just no overlapping.
Sudden change of Scroll speed: Avoid using anything higher than 3x and lower than 0.33x.
Overlapped notes by BPM Changes: NO.
Break Sections: try right-clicking to eliminate.
Measures and Barlines: Definitely. If it is necessary to keep adding red lines, do it.
Slighty different with mine, hmm....

For slider velosity we may recommend to use it but cannot force it, as it can be one feature of osu Taiko. Actually I experienced some mappers who even avoid using 1.4 cause they think it's too slow.

For spinners, yeah it shouldn't be overlapped, but if BPM is quite high, is it possible to interfere next note 'technically', not by visually or something like that?

For scroll change, yeah, we should avoid using too hight, and I think we restrict the lowest limit cause if it's too slow it's almost impossible to hit them. (It's slighty different with high speeds, as putting high speed mapper force the players to memorize some part (possilbe, but shouldn't be used too much) but if it's too low... You know, we really need great accuracy to hit the notes, as the notes are way tooo slow.) I think the lowest limit should be x0.5. Anyway, should we force putting warning if there's sudden, and big SV change?

What do you think about limits to use finish note, Zekira? How long should the distance between the big notes and other notes be?
show more