forum

[added] Unranked, Qualified, Ranked and......COMMUNITY maps!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
Pogge
Hello!

I will try to keep this as short as possible, but basically I had the following idea in mind:

What if there was a new map status called "community" maps

(could be called something else like "priority" or "loved" maps, but I will just go with community for now)
What is "community" maps?

Ever played fun unranked maps like Flower Dance, Escape With The Clouds, Routine, etc. and wanted to compare your scores with your friends, global or country but can't because the map is not ranked?

Well this is why we need something like community maps:

Community maps would basically be popular unranked maps which would be defined as "community" once it would receive an X number of favourites or kudosu. For example, if an unranked map would receive 50 favourites/kudosu, the beatmap creator would have the option to publish the map as a community map, thus activating the maps rankings to be seen publicly. They would still be able to work on the map to try to qualify it for ranked and in that case, the final ranked version would replace the community one, pretty simple.
Of course no pp would be given for playing these community maps which is an important factor to consider.

Currently, you can only view your friends score on an unranked map if they send you their replay for the map, which you would then be able to see under "Local Rankings", but this takes a lot of effort and a feature like this would definitely make unranked maps more interesting and fun.

Obviously this features would require the user to have osu! supporter
So what do you think?

Let me know if you support this feature, what else you think could be done, if I missed something out, or why this would be a bad idea!
Thanks for reading!
Endaris
Search function is a happy thing.
I call it graveyarded.
Lanturn
t/268130
Marked invalid. I doubt this'll go through as well.
Pawsu
As much as this is very nicely organized and explained, this has been requested before: t/188842/start=0
t/310573. I'll surely find more as I get home.
Topic Starter
Pogge
I understand that guys, but all of those threads ask for rankings on unranked or graveyarded maps - I can understand it's impossible to have a ranking for unranked/graveyarded maps, simply because literally "every" map would have a ranking in that case, but that's why I'm suggesting a NEW status called community maps or something where the map has to prove to the community that it's "playable", and who does that? The community! The ideas on the other threads may seem very similar to mine, but it's still completely different. Thanks for the input though!
abraker
You guys are oversearching today. Just go on the next page or something :P
Something similiar has been requested and it has sooooo many stars

t/293841
Endaris

Pogge wrote:

I understand that guys, but all of those threads ask for rankings on unranked or graveyarded maps - I can understand it's impossible to have a ranking for unranked/graveyarded maps, simply because literally "every" map would have a ranking in that case, but that's why I'm suggesting a NEW status called community maps or something where the map has to prove to the community that it's "playable", and who does that? The community! The ideas on the other threads may seem very similar to mine, but it's still completely different. Thanks for the input though!
Every map is playable.
Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGkG6nFQPvc

And that map would deserve such a scoreboard more than "Flower Dance Jump practice #564786"
Pawsu

abraker wrote:

t/293841
OH WHOOPS, that's right...
this is a duplicate, please put further thoughts into that thread
Topic Starter
Pogge

abraker wrote:

t/293841
Oh.. thanks for that link, I actually haven't seen that thread before but interesting to see how many stars it has. I guess that really shows the game would need something like this to make it more fun, as I don't see any big disadvantages in having this small feature. :s

Endaris wrote:

Pogge wrote:

Every map is playable.
Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGkG6nFQPvc

And that map would deserve such a scoreboard more than "Flower Dance Jump practice #564786"
Yes, the map has been favourited 237 times which is a lot, hence why it would qualify as a "community" map. As long as there is some type of identification that a map is being loved by the community, then the map should have a ranking, that's all I'm trying to say. :P
Lanturn
Eh. That other request is to perma rank odd unrankable otherwise maps, which is not this request.

Basically the whole idea of scoreboards on unranked maps will probably never see the light of day though.

Also, this technically means I could community rank https://osu.ppy.sh/s/90935
Endaris
Favorites are an unlimited resource. I just have to team up with some other mappers and we all favorite each other's maps, bam, scoreboards happening.
Also visit my F4F-Queue(tm)
abraker
To consider if a map is popular or not I would look at how many new top scores are made on it for a week or two after some random waiting period and compare that to a threshold. Its a catch 22 using this way to measure whether maps are to be qualified for this or not, but favorites and play count are too ubiquitous.
XinCrin
Old approved beatmap system. Deleted
Topic Starter
Pogge

Lanturn wrote:

Also, this technically means I could community rank https://osu.ppy.sh/s/90935
Why is that a bad thing? No pp would be given anyway, so you could just use NF to make scores, it'd be quite funny to see an FC NF score on the map (assuming you die at the end anyway, without NF).

Endaris wrote:

Favorites are an unlimited resource. I just have to team up with some other mappers and we all favorite each other's maps, bam, scoreboards happening.
Also visit my F4F-Queue(tm)
That's my only concern, as well. Maybe Kudosu would work better? Or a new point system where you would get 1 point each month, and can use these points to give your favourite maps - but this would require more work obviously and I don't know if it they would have the right people for this. =(

XinCrin wrote:

Old approved beatmap system. Deleted
Eh?
abraker

Pogge wrote:

(could be called something else like "priority" or "loved" maps, but I will just go with community for now)
Loved it is...

request complete?
Stefan
Well, OP pretty much describes how Loved works. So yeap, added.
Purps
LOL
Sandy Hoey
Thanks for the valuable contribution to a thread that is for an already added request. Thank you...