forum

DDR/Stepmania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mysterypea
Pretty popular game. It started the innovative training and song games ( well. A big revolution i must say )
Discuss
Oddbrother
DDR:
I used to be a major fan of the DDR series. But as of today, it disappoints because of their US home console versions, because there are too many home-version exclusive songs, so very few of them good, and not enough songs created by the DDR All-Stars. In the middle, they got Extreme 2 right. Only the arcade versions have the best songs.

I'm currently playing on Trick/Standard/Difficult level. I do play some Maniac/Heavy/Expert songs, but I can't clear songs that are 8 or higher, or are high VOLTAGE or CHAOS.

Stepmania:
The first time I laid eyes on this (September 1998), I jumped for joy. What better than to make your own songs to step to? But from what I've seen with a lot of Stepmania communities, keyboard step-charts are overrated. This I believe! Also, [cough]carpal-tunnel syndrome![/cough]

When Roxor games got hold of the Stepmania engine to make their arcade and PS2 game, In the Groove, I was quite surprised by their song list and graphics. When they made In the Groove 2, that's where it grabbed me by the arms. What better than to show off to your friends by dancing to your own stepcharts and songs?

From the bad side, Konami sues Roxor for the game, takes their rights, and goes on with the series, making me lose all due respect for them, and going back to playing their trails as they get messier and messier. :(

Currently owned:
Dance Dance Revolution (PC)
Konamix (PSOne)
Disney Mix (PSOne)
DDRMAX (PS2)
DDRMAX2 (PS2)
Extreme (PS2)
Extreme 2 (PS2)
SuperNOVA (PS2)
SuperNOVA2 (PS2)

Favorite Game: Disney's Rave/Disney Mix (PSOne)
Not only does it have you reminisce on your childhood with some good and some classy songs, but also they don't disappoint when they see players want a challenge. Usually most kids DDR games are far too easy. But in this game, they help you enjoy your past while sticking to your present performance at the same time. Also, it was the first to introduce a new game mode (apart from Konamix), Magic Rave.

Favorite Song: B4U by Naoki
The song pretty much represents the game itself (apart from Dance Dance Revolution by DDR All-Stars), and the steps fit very well to my appeal, though I have yet to form a freestyle routine out of it.
awp

Oddbrother wrote:

DDR:
Stepmania:
The first time I laid eyes on this (September 1998), I jumped for joy. What better than to make your own songs to step to? But from what I've seen with a lot of Stepmania communities, keyboard step-charts are overrated. This I believe! Also, [cough]carpal-tunnel syndrome![/cough]
I much prefer stepmania over DDR and proverbially jumped for joy when I discovered it as well, because DDR tends to have about half a dozen good songs per disc. I once was absolutely amazing at using the keyboard, but I prefer to dumb the difficulty down to ~5 or 6 step and dance on a mat (thank you, ps2/usb conversion input device). Even though the only mat I have is stuffed in a closet at my parents house and probably doesn't work, back in the good ol' days I had lots of fun, mainly with the video game packs.
Starrodkirby86
Discuss I shall!

I began DDR in Fourth Grade and immediately sucked. After a life-changing experience in 6th Grade, I became hooked and bought Extreme for PS2 (US of course). In about a week or so, I came from a Light to Heavy. Of course, I have played very much, and can pass the majority of ten footers and such, which makes me happy. Not to be a boaster, but people call me crazy and I'm one of the best in my middle school. I get in grown toenails from playing too much in arcades. Consequently, I get rusty over time. But not in terms of rhythm. It's more in stamina. That's a big weakness I have.

---

For Stepmania, I got it after I became the Avid DDR fan. Great stuff it is. I created over 128 simfiles, which are downloadable at sites (Not all). I'm not an uploader at Bemanistyle for one, and other cases I sucked making them. It's similar to beatmapping experience, especially Eiji's. :P
I play it online (Hence the signature), and I'm at a stable rank. I think I have over 2500 songs, which is 8 gigs. :P

And by the way, I remember this subject a long ways ago...o.o; Oh well.
EiJi
I discovered Stepmania many years ago and have since been playing it. Used to be a daily thing, ~5 hours a day. But now days I may only chip in an hour a week.

I can pretty much do any heavy song that isn't too fast, about over 200 bpm. I use keyboard and only use one hand. I tried learning two hands, but never for the intention of using two to play. I was gonna try and two player with both hands, seemed like a fun idea.

As for my Stepmania, I have over 7gb of songs.
Risse_old
Have played DDR (Stepmania/ITG) for 3 years. In ITG can clear most 8's. 9's and 10's if I have good luck. :P

I've had 4 pads now, newest one is Impact Dancepad modded with wood. Still dreaming of a Cobal Flux. :/
Starrodkirby86

Risse wrote:

Have played DDR (Stepmania/ITG) for 3 years. In ITG can clear most 8's. 9's and 10's if I have good luck. :P

I've had 4 pads now, newest one is Impact Dancepad modded with wood. Still dreaming of a Cobal Flux. :/
Don't we all?

All of my pads are crap. They're soft, flimsy ones worth twenty dollars that I had to rebuy three-four times or something. :P

If you want to go more specfic with difficulties, on DDR the highest I can do is 10 (But not all), and on Stepmania the highest I can do is 15 (But not all since a lot of 15 footers stepped by people have atrocious jacks at a high BPM). It's fun doing 16ths on a BPM like 250. :D
Card N'FoRcE
I discovered it about a year and a half ago and i bought a dance pad about 6 months ago.
I can do levels until 4-5 feet and I enjoy it a lot.
Anyway I also play StepMania for keyboard levels.

Maybe it's because I like every kind of musical game :D
Cecilthemos
I play Arcade DDR only (About 3 hours each Friday)
Stepmania I play in my freetime.
I got into DDR in 6th grade (4 years ago)
But didn't get into it until a year ago.
Favorite song is Hana Ranman by Terra.
The hardest song I can do on foot is Max 300 on Maniac (Working on Unlimited)
I can do a lot more 10s on Stepmania though, and one 14 step.
[deleted user]

Oddbrother wrote:

Stepmania:
The first time I laid eyes on this (September 1998)
Uh, Stepmania didn't exist in 1998. :)

Oddbrother wrote:

When Roxor games got hold of the Stepmania engine to make their arcade and PS2 game, In the Groove
Roxor didn't get a hold of anything. The developers were made up of a lot of the main people who worked on Stepmania.
Loginer
I can't clear anything higher than a 7-footer. <_< ;_; >.> :'<
With a mat, that is. I hate using the keyboard. :3
Starrodkirby86

sanchny wrote:

Oddbrother wrote:

Stepmania:
The first time I laid eyes on this (September 1998)
Uh, Stepmania didn't exist in 1998. :)

Oddbrother wrote:

When Roxor games got hold of the Stepmania engine to make their arcade and PS2 game, In the Groove
Roxor didn't get a hold of anything. The developers were made up of a lot of the main people who worked on Stepmania.
I think he was confused with DDR in 1998. :P

And yeah, but the ITG game was mainly composed of the Stepmania engine, but you probably knew that...

Anyone play online here, like 4.0? :geek:

Loginer wrote:

I can't clear anything higher than a 7-footer. <_< ;_; >.> :'<
With a mat, that is. I hate using the keyboard. :3
Aw, poor you. I know you have the rhythm and probably the sight-reading, so all you really need to do is learn the crossovers and the fact you need to move the body quicker. :D
awp
My brother is excellent at DDR. I've seen him clear 9 and 10 step songs on the mat, and it's not a pretty sight. You need to move your feet so fast you don't have any time but to look like a spaz with constipation.
Starrodkirby86

awp wrote:

My brother is excellent at DDR. I've seen him clear 9 and 10 step songs on the mat, and it's not a pretty sight. You need to move your feet so fast you don't have any time but to look like a spaz with constipation.
Lol, likewise here, except I'm the one that's spazzing on the pad. :O

It's pretty though. Except on bar, it's more tame. :( It's easy to read the ten footers even on x1, so if it looks like a mess than oh well. I wonder why people are in awe about these performanc--oh wait, yeah now I know. :P
Cecilthemos

awp wrote:

Not trying to say you're bad at DDR, but it's always funny to hear how people see people who can do the hardest songs, doing the Maxes feels natural to me, but to someone like you, it looks like a spaz-attack.
awp
He's not dancing at all though - he's stomping on the right arrows, at the right time.

I can keep up with the lower songs at 7 foot or so well enough, but I like my comfort zone of ~5-foot songs. Gives me room to do spins, face the wrong way, drop onto my hands, etc.
chan

awp wrote:

He's not dancing at all though - he's stomping on the right arrows, at the right time.
I thought that was what DDR was all about :S

Actually looking coordinated and in control is just too hardcore for me.
Mogsy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp

chan wrote:

Actually looking coordinated and in control is just too hardcore for me.
That's why I play on a difficulty easier than what I'm capable of =}

I find it to be more fun.

Or, if I'm drunk at the time, I can't keep up with anything more. And often when I'm playing DDR I'm also drunk. Though I haven't played DDR very often at all in the last two years (perhaps twice?).
Starrodkirby86

Mogsworth wrote:

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

Anyone play online here, like 4.0? :geek:
I would if StepMania 4.0 didn't suck so bad. D:
As for DDR/ITG/PiU skills...nonexistent. I barely do the medium difficulties on pad.
StepMania...keyboard only, 10-12 footer keyboard files, J5.
And I've only been playing SM for about three years, if you count the time I gave up all DDR-related rhythm games for Pop'n.
4.0 is such a frail version, but I highly dislike the latest build by the StepMania group. I use the one that Dog_E suggested (Which Dog_E is some moderator I believe over at the SMOnline community). That one is more efficient, like they didn't remove the animated banners and online works A-OK.

On the regards of DDR being dancing, it's not true dancing. Freestyling to DDR is dancing however, which I feel is a very good thing to do. If I can still remember all of Spin the Disc on Heavy, I can freestyle that. :D It's very nice.

Lastly, if you stay at one certain difficulty you'll never fledge on to harder heights..try a cata sometime. :D
show more