forum

[Archived] Low FPS on Higher End Laptop

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CreationTNT
Problem Details: So a couple of weeks ago I purchased a brand new ASUS Q524UQ-BI7T20 2-in-1 laptop.
Specs: (Windows 10) Intel Core i7-7500U, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, 12 GB RAM, 2TB HDD
When I ran Osu, the laptop could get 240 FPS with all the settings turned up and input lag was ~4 ms.

But then a couple of days ago, I decided to exchange the laptop for a higher end one and I decided on the ASUS Q534UX-BI7T22 4K UHD 2-in-1 laptop, which is basically an upgrade to the one I had.
Specs: (Windows 10) Intel Core i7-7500U, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD
So when I ran Osu! on the new laptop, the FPS was drastically lower, hovering around 60-90 FPS with an input lag of 10-16 ms.

Things that I tried doing:
Using fullscreen
Forcing Osu to use the GPU to run instead of Intel graphics
Changed resolution in Osu, as well as the .cfg file
Using the "High Performance" setting on the NVIDIA Control Panel
Changing the FPS limiter
Reinstalling Osu

At first I assumed it had something to do with the fact that it was a 4K display so I downloaded and ran a couple of other games.
But I was able to get higher FPS on the newer laptop as compared to the one I had. For example, on my first laptop that I bought, I was able to run League of Legends on high settings with about 80 FPS. On the newer laptop, I was able to get over 120 FPS on high settings.

I am really not sure what the problem is considering that I am able to run other games better and smoother, but struggles when it comes to Osu.

osu! version: 20170731.2 (latest)
Laurakko
set GeForce experience's battery boost to off if it isn't, make sure windows performance profile is set to high performance (and if you didn't do it already, change program specific settings in the Nvidia control panel to prefer high performance in osu, turn vsync off, ect.) restart after you've done so
Topic Starter
CreationTNT

Lassikko wrote:

set GeForce experience's battery boost to off if it isn't, make sure windows performance profile is set to high performance (and if you didn't do it already, change program specific settings in the Nvidia control panel to prefer high performance in osu, turn vsync off, ect.) restart after you've done so
The game does run a bit better now. But running the game with the "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" option actually makes the game lag more.
I actually do believe the issue is running the game on 4K as I noticed that when I lower the res to 1920x1080 the performance is similar the first laptop I had purchased. The problem with lowering the res is that it makes the screen super tiny.

Thanks. I will make a new post addressing the other issue.
Laurakko
you can decrease the resolution in windows, so then it won't be "super tiny"
Dntm8kmeeatu

Lassikko wrote:

you can decrease the resolution in windows, so then it won't be "super tiny"
Just disable letterboxing