forum

Butch Hartman & Ron Jones - The Fairly OddParents Theme Song

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:32:07 AM

Artist: Butch Hartman & Ron Jones
Title: The Fairly OddParents Theme Song - German [HD]
BPM: 101
Filesize: 835kb
Play Time: 00:40
Difficulties Available:
  1. Advanced (2.26 stars, 72 notes)
  2. Easy (0.93 stars, 40 notes)
  3. Hard (3.15 stars, 142 notes)
  4. Insane (4.05 stars, 142 notes)
  5. Very easy (0.89 stars, 34 notes)
Download: Butch Hartman & Ron Jones - The Fairly OddParents Theme Song - German [HD]
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Mods:
Maxylan
Maxylan
I don't believe in sugar-coating mods. So when I see a new mapper, I will try to be as nice as possible, but it will not come in the way of communicating forth a good mod that you can learn from. When you said this was the first map you where trying to get ranked I thought you had already mapped for a while but this looks like the first map you've ever made o.o

M4M From my queue
[General]
Let me start this of by saying, you will never get this ranked... It's the sad truth with alot of maps that you make as a new mapper, and that is okay! Every new mapper creates unrankable stuff as they're learning to put the pieces together.
I will not point out individual errors in each difficulty, as the mod would be so long that I could create a book out of it and publish it. Instead I will give you examples of errors from your "Hard" difficulty as they occur in all your other difficulties as well, and I will tell you how you can improve as a mapper by giving advice.

- First and foremost. Your timing is off by a lot. Not only is the offset wrong but the main white tick should be starting on 00:01:605 if you listen to the "Timing" menu on the top. Some other technicalities include, but are not limited to:
AR being disproportionatly high (9) compared to CS (3)
No hitsounds. You just put "Soft" on everything. Believe it or not to get a map ranked you need to hitsound individual objects to match sounds in your song.
No background and preview image.
00:36:357 (9,10) - Objects in the middle of each other [size=85]("how do you even.... what?!")

Not checking AiMod.[/size]

- Secondly, this map is too complex for your current mapping skill. Not only is the BPM too low on 101 for anyone to make anything interesting, or if you reverse it, BPM 202 is too high to make something good even for a few experienced mappers. But even with good BPM this meme-map has too many sounds that needs emphasising, and doing so effectively would require you to already have alot of mapping knowledge.

- You miss alot of sounds/Map nonexistant sounds. Yes, let's give you an example to know what I'm talking about:
00:00:268 (2) - Nonexistant sound/Not important.
00:00:417 (3) - Slider starts on nonexistant sound.
00:00:417 (3) - Slider ends at a disproportionally important sound.
If you don't already get what I mean, you need to listen very carefully to sounds on certain ticks before you map. My method, is to always listen 2-3 seconds ahead over and over too see what instruments are on all ticks, and what instruments are the most important, and what instruments have the highest priority to be emphasized. It's a long and complex way of mapping, but everyone is different, and that way is just what I use to make sure that I don't miss to map sounds or map over sounds that doesn't exist.

- It looks like and feels like none of the objects in your map, circle or slider, have any meaning whatsoever between being where they are. In your mod to me, you brought up this:

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

i feel like this jump lacks the proper intensity
It's a valid point! And that's what strikes me as odd because you can to some extent analyze maps and question why a certain object should be where it is yet none of these objects have any sense of flow, aesthetics, space, emphasis, rythm. Nothing! If I where to ask you why 00:08:139 (7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) - looks the way it does, the most valid, and the best possible answer I can imagine you giving me is "I just placed circles to the beat" and that's not enough to justify object placements.

- You need to read the ranking criteria. Which can be found "here".
00:17:941 (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11) - This stream is what reminded me to bring this up, because Hard difficulties must not have more than 5 circles in streams. That's just a minor problem, but it got me thinking that you had clearly not read it. It contains a ton of useful information to help you improve your mapping! And it deserves to be looked over not just because the stream I just mentioned needs fixing. This entire map needs it.

- You should not push maps to ranked. This reddit thread contains insanely useful information for new and aspiring mappers regarding learning mapping and experiencing the ranking process. When you're just starting out mapping, you should have already been playing osu enough to know what a good map looks like, If I where to place your map next to something ranked, you'd know you're wasting valuable time asking for mods and waiting for BN's and QAT's.
Key to learning mapping when you're just starting out, is mapping, mapping, mapping. And scrapping a bad map, scrapping a bad map, scrapping a bad map. And learning each time you open a new song in the editor. If you scrap this song, and soon after try to publish the next beatmap you make. All you'll get is mods like this one telling you to improve your mapping skills before asking mods.

[Positive Takeaway]

DON'T LET THIS MOD DISCOURAGE YOU FROM MAPPING!
Like I said earlier, I am harsh in my mods. But that is because when I started out mapping and didn't even know what a mod was, as soon as I recieved a harsh mod it made me feel like shit, and made me loose my motivation. That being said it was the most helpful mod I had ever recieved, because the next time I opened a song in the editor I remember what he said in the back of my mind like a shadow following me, and all of a sudden I had reasons and thought put into each object placed!

Watch youtube tutorials!
"pishifat" and "A mo" are two really great mappers who post regularly on youtube with tutorials on mapping, ranging from tutorials for the absolute begginers to even experienced mappers, and everything in between. They cover the must-know methods and explain steps mappers can take to improve the quality of their maps. I started watching them when I was about as good as you at mapping, and although it didn't stick with me until after I recieved my first harsh mod. In the end I do remember most if not all of what they said. And my mapping style currently derives from their modern and tested-and-proven methods.

MAP MORE! Map better!

I hope you learnt!
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Maxylan wrote:

I don't believe in sugar-coating mods. So when I see a new mapper, I will try to be as nice as possible, but it will not come in the way of communicating forth a good mod that you can learn from. When you said this was the first map you where trying to get ranked I thought you had already mapped for a while but this looks like the first map you've ever made o.o

M4M From my queue
[General]
Let me start this of by saying, you will never get this ranked... It's the sad truth with alot of maps that you make as a new mapper, and that is okay! Every new mapper creates unrankable stuff as they're learning to put the pieces together.
I will not point out individual errors in each difficulty, as the mod would be so long that I could create a book out of it and publish it. Instead I will give you examples of errors from your "Hard" difficulty as they occur in all your other difficulties as well, and I will tell you how you can improve as a mapper by giving advice.

- First and foremost. Your timing is off by a lot. Not only is the offset wrong but the main white tick should be starting on 00:01:605 if you listen to the "Timing" menu on the top. Some other technicalities include, but are not limited to:
AR being disproportionatly high (9) compared to CS (3)
No hitsounds. You just put "Soft" on everything. Believe it or not to get a map ranked you need to hitsound individual objects to match sounds in your song.
No background and preview image.
00:36:357 (9,10) - Objects in the middle of each other [size=85]("how do you even.... what?!")

Not checking AiMod.[/size]

- Secondly, this map is too complex for your current mapping skill. Not only is the BPM too low on 101 for anyone to make anything interesting, or if you reverse it, BPM 202 is too high to make something good even for a few experienced mappers. But even with good BPM this meme-map has too many sounds that needs emphasising, and doing so effectively would require you to already have alot of mapping knowledge.

- You miss alot of sounds/Map nonexistant sounds. Yes, let's give you an example to know what I'm talking about:
00:00:268 (2) - Nonexistant sound/Not important.
00:00:417 (3) - Slider starts on nonexistant sound.
00:00:417 (3) - Slider ends at a disproportionally important sound.
If you don't already get what I mean, you need to listen very carefully to sounds on certain ticks before you map. My method, is to always listen 2-3 seconds ahead over and over too see what instruments are on all ticks, and what instruments are the most important, and what instruments have the highest priority to be emphasized. It's a long and complex way of mapping, but everyone is different, and that way is just what I use to make sure that I don't miss to map sounds or map over sounds that doesn't exist.

- It looks like and feels like none of the objects in your map, circle or slider, have any meaning whatsoever between being where they are. In your mod to me, you brought up this:

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

i feel like this jump lacks the proper intensity
It's a valid point! And that's what strikes me as odd because you can to some extent analyze maps and question why a certain object should be where it is yet none of these objects have any sense of flow, aesthetics, space, emphasis, rythm. Nothing! If I where to ask you why 00:08:139 (7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) - looks the way it does, the most valid, and the best possible answer I can imagine you giving me is "I just placed circles to the beat" and that's not enough to justify object placements.

- You need to read the ranking criteria. Which can be found "here".
00:17:941 (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11) - This stream is what reminded me to bring this up, because Hard difficulties must not have more than 5 circles in streams. That's just a minor problem, but it got me thinking that you had clearly not read it. It contains a ton of useful information to help you improve your mapping! And it deserves to be looked over not just because the stream I just mentioned needs fixing. This entire map needs it.

- You should not push maps to ranked. This reddit thread contains insanely useful information for new and aspiring mappers regarding learning mapping and experiencing the ranking process. When you're just starting out mapping, you should have already been playing osu enough to know what a good map looks like, If I where to place your map next to something ranked, you'd know you're wasting valuable time asking for mods and waiting for BN's and QAT's.
Key to learning mapping when you're just starting out, is mapping, mapping, mapping. And scrapping a bad map, scrapping a bad map, scrapping a bad map. And learning each time you open a new song in the editor. If you scrap this song, and soon after try to publish the next beatmap you make. All you'll get is mods like this one telling you to improve your mapping skills before asking mods.

[Positive Takeaway]

DON'T LET THIS MOD DISCOURAGE YOU FROM MAPPING!
Like I said earlier, I am harsh in my mods. But that is because when I started out mapping and didn't even know what a mod was, as soon as I recieved a harsh mod it made me feel like shit, and made me loose my motivation. That being said it was the most helpful mod I had ever recieved, because the next time I opened a song in the editor I remember what he said in the back of my mind like a shadow following me, and all of a sudden I had reasons and thought put into each object placed!

Watch youtube tutorials!
"pishifat" and "A mo" are two really great mappers who post regularly on youtube with tutorials on mapping, ranging from tutorials for the absolute begginers to even experienced mappers, and everything in between. They cover the must-know methods and explain steps mappers can take to improve the quality of their maps. I started watching them when I was about as good as you at mapping, and although it didn't stick with me until after I recieved my first harsh mod. In the end I do remember most if not all of what they said. And my mapping style currently derives from their modern and tested-and-proven methods.

MAP MORE! Map better!

I hope you learnt!
Thanks so much for this, i'll rewatch pishifat's videos and try to come up with a map that's at least playable. Good point with the bpm thing, this song is too hard to make interesting without turning it into a pp map.

And if I may ask, what would be a better offset to use?
Maxylan

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

And if I may ask, what would be a better offset to use?
You need to listen carefully to a song on around 25% to 50% to know where to place your first red line which indicates the start of the song. I did link in my mod the currect point you should've used for your red line, but because your red line was flawed from the start, the point I linked will probably be off by around 6-8ms. You'll have to listen carefully and see that for yourself. But like you said you where going to start on a new map, so that's not nesessary :)

Glad you found it helpful! For your new song, I'd recommend finding something with around 120-140 BPM with enough sounds to keep it interesting while still not having so many sounds it'll be impossible to know what to map and how. And remember to always think before placing an object on a tick in the map!
Somi
m4m

General

1. Double BPM (200)
  2. Most (if not all) objects seem randomly placed - distance spacing could probably help them a lot

Insane

1. 00:00:417 (2) - should be placed at 00:00:862 -
  2. 00:04:278 (2,3,4) - Stack these
There really isn't a whole lot to mod since the BPM is off and the objects seem randomly placed
Simuzax
[General]
BPM should be 200 if i'm not mistaking
Offset should be smth around 98

[Mapping]
This seems to be your very first std map, and... it's not good in any meanings. :?
Looks like you listened to that song, got very excited with things in mind and mapped the whole thing without thinking much about it

00:00:120 (1,2,3,4) - this for example, every circle has the same spacing, which isn't right considering 00:00:417 (2,3,4) - are 3 sounds close to each other, they should have less spacing

00:01:011 (5) - this slider starts on a not very important sound, which is okay but, it ends on a very important, this isn't okay, stronger sounds should have clickable objects, or at least sliderheads and sliderends should follow a sound with similar intensity

00:17:496 (7) - from here, the notes just start rotating the same space over and over, notes should be distributed in the map, otherwise it becomes boring

You may be not very happy about it but, i really recommend you mapping another song which some decent mapper has already mapped and then as you map, you can look at the other person's map to see if youre doing a great job and not just randomly putting circles

Getting good at mapping is the same as getting good at playing, you just need to map more and gain experience

You can PM me in-game any time if you see me online, i'll be glad with trying to help you
PotatoJet
From my queue (even tho it's closed)

General

Too lazy to put bg? :^)

Very Easy

What is this mapping? You need to step up your game! (I'm just saying this because you run a mapping contest now)

00:00:120 (1,2,3) Please make it so that (1) is not on top of (2) and (3) is more further. Currently, it's a mess visually.
00:02:761 Why this spacing? It's not even on distance snap!
00:03:684 (6) uncomfortable slider
00:06:231 to 00:10:881 This whole part needs to be changed. If the title is 'Very Easy' (which should be easier than 'Easy') it shouldn't have this many objects.

Whole diff needs to be remapped, sorry.

Honestly your mapping needs to be improved. I suggest, what Sizumax said (look at another mapper that ranked a map and do the same) try and check out how they map and choose the same song. Right now, it's like what everyone previously said: you're placing circles randomly (not randomly as in it's just anywhere but random as in it has no meaning.)

Also, why is everybody saying this is your first map? xd did they even check your profile?

Gl with this map! :D (or future maps)
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

PotatoJet wrote:

From my queue (even tho it's closed)

General

Too lazy to put bg? :^)

Very Easy

What is this mapping? You need to step up your game! (I'm just saying this because you run a mapping contest now)

00:00:120 (1,2,3) Please make it so that (1) is not on top of (2) and (3) is more further. Currently, it's a mess visually.
00:02:761 Why this spacing? It's not even on distance snap!
00:03:684 (6) uncomfortable slider
00:06:231 to 00:10:881 This whole part needs to be changed. If the title is 'Very Easy' (which should be easier than 'Easy') it shouldn't have this many objects.

Whole diff needs to be remapped, sorry.

Honestly your mapping needs to be improved. I suggest, what Sizumax said (look at another mapper that ranked a map and do the same) try and check out how they map and choose the same song. Right now, it's like what everyone previously said: you're placing circles randomly (not randomly as in it's just anywhere but random as in it has no meaning.)

Also, why is everybody saying this is your first map? xd did they even check your profile?

Gl with this map! :D (or future maps)
I tried to imitate the 'jumpy' style of modern maps with the insane diff. but I did it wrong
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.