forum

How fit local offset properly.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer
Step 1: Play a song listen to it.

Step 2: Make your hitsound match to the beat A.K.A tap to the song well to the rythm. (Since some skins have delay on their hitsounds i recommend you rohulk skin since the hitsound it's short, you can add his hitsounds to your usuall skin if you think your skin hitsounds are to long or have delay)

Step 3: Watch the replay and check where your hits are on the indicator.

Step 4: Play sometimes moving each time the local offset to where the indicator says until place it properly.

I like to move it exact to the point where i hit the earlier note at all the song, since if i listen well the beat having good timing i shouldn't never hit earlier playing the song properly
So i can have good acc if i can understand the beat and i don't have any other issues what can make my acc lower. Like bad reading or miss by aiming.

Also you can do it while playing, but you can lose the beat meanwhile and start hitting by circle approach rate if you're used to do it.
You can set shortcuts at options menu to change local offset.

I write this since a time i go i was searching info and i only find a setup wizard telling me to set my global offset to -67 when i have it to -1 xD. Where it have to be.
KupcaH
:thinking:
1Alone
Lol all I did is just play with effect volume at zero, turn on the indicator, and play a map and see where the indicator goes. Then use the universal offset and estimate the offset needed after seeing the indicator then repeat until when you play it hits around the blue part. Turn your effect volume back up and voila your acc skyrocketed :D
For local beatmap offset I don't really do that much of a modification but if I really sense that something is wrong I'll probably just try and err until I get the indicator right

Also no offense but it's kinda hard to get your instruction
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer

1Alone wrote:

Lol all I did is just play with effect volume at zero, turn on the indicator, and play a map and see where the indicator goes. Then use the universal offset and estimate the offset needed after seeing the indicator then repeat until when you play it hits around the blue part. Turn your effect volume back up and voila your acc skyrocketed :D

Also no offense but it's kinda hard to get your instruction
Without match the hitsound with the beat it's hardest to set it, at least for me. I play a lot of songs without hitsounds, usually at technicall maps and even used to play without sounds it's hard to me set wel the offsetl without using the hitsounds. Btw if you're listening your keyboard while playing without hitsounds can make you play unconsistenly the beat since the keyboard sound isn't as precise as hitsounds are.
Hiro-Senpai
i was too scrub for these global offset things. I am just setting a local offset to every map however works best. Sometimes it is -10 sometimes -20 but i usually never go to +
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

i was too scrub for these global offset things. I am just setting a local offset to every map however works best. Sometimes it is -10 sometimes -20 but i usually never go to +
If you're interested, i set my global offset using this song sightreading it using hidden with 20% hitsounds 100% music, i was using cookiezi skin because i was testing some hitsounds: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/417492

I just remember the places where i did hit perfectly in timming while playing, check the tap on the replay and move the global offset to fit the indicator lines to where i wish them to be (Usually the average of hits on the middle)

I set them to fit into od10 left side since i hit in the right timming or late 99% of circles for some reason xD I do only hit earlier the slidders because i mostly use them while playing to fit my tap to the beat because x100 at slidders don't drop acc. I did sigthread more maps and make sure more maps are well syncronized too, after set my global offset. My global offset It's +1 right now. I move it into -1 +4 range because my fingers don't move at same speed playing 1 hour than playing 8. Also i don't keep same finger/hand position all the songs. At burst/shorts streams maps or fast bpm i play with my hand flying xD. At technical maps i play with my hand resting at keyboard. So i move the offset a couple ms since having the hand over the keyboard i tap slower but with more finger control.
timemon
Is offset an issue in osu? Ranked maps are at least timed properly maybe a little bit off but not affecting anything.
Genuinely curious, because i never mess with the offset. And is there a way to check for latency by a machine?

I map a little. I know it's not something to brag about but I know all of my maps are mistimed.
Its easy for me to notice wrong offset because the error is a lot more blatant than in ranked maps. (Like 10-20 ms off)
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer

timemon wrote:

Is offset an issue in osu? Ranked maps are at least timed properly maybe a little bit off but not affecting anything.
Genuinely curious, because i never mess with the offset. And is there a way to check for latency by a machine?

I map a little. I know it's not something to brag about but I know all of my maps are mistimed.
Its easy for me to notice wrong offset because the error is a lot more blatant than in ranked maps. (Like 10-20 ms off)
It's more a personal preference than an issue. If you're consistent hitting early or late or just in time, you can move offset to have more range to x300.
I'll explain better myself: In my case i never hit earlier than the rythm. Then If i move my offset to make my perfect timed hits to the left i have the double ms to hit later a circle and still into x300 range. Explained: Imagine i have -10+10 to hit a circle into x300 range. I'm playing a map and hitting +1 later to the rythm the circles what i hit well timmed. So If i make those +1 be -10 using the offset, i can hit a circle 20ms before the beat and it will be a x300. That's what you can see at the map what i post, i move the offset to fit my tapping to less ms, having more time to react to a beat what i don't expect for some reasson.

That SS will be a 97/98% If i didn't move the offset as you can see.
abraker
Use this map to find global offset: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/173084
Just close your eyes and hit to the beat
timemon
mildly interesting: I set the OD to 10 on the map above^ and tried with eyes open and eye closed. You can guess which.

Rhythm game at its finest
-Makishima S-
Offset is not a problem when you know how to play.
It have more use for DT due distorted music.

Additionally presented example is a bad behaviour. Compensating lack of speed and reading issues with positive offset will not lead anywhere good.
Players often use offset to compensate too slow map for their normal speed (negative offset).
Jukkii
taiga is exactly on point here, using offset to compensate for your own playing errors is a very bad practice, only use local offset when you know the map is timed wrongly.
as for global offset

-Jukke- wrote:

you should have your universal offset at 0 always.
universal offset is only used as a very last resort for hardware- or software-based problems like audio delay through your sound card and the like. if you do not have problems like that which you cant fix, dont change your universal offset. your universal offset should be 0. local offset is used for when the map you are playing is timed wrongly and you are always hitting too early or too late by the same amount. dont try to use offset to "fix" your accurcay if your accuracy is bad. most likely its just you being bad, not the map.
abraker

timemon wrote:

mildly interesting: I set the OD to 10 on the map above^ and tried with eyes open and eye closed. You can guess which.

Rhythm game at its finest
It's more of a wack-the-circle game than a rhythm game

Though people who play HDFL in taiko... those are something
timemon
You can't hear music with your eyes closed afterall
Caradine
"using offset to compensate for your own playing errors is a very bad practice"
true but i never saw anyone do it other than plz enjoy game