forum

Editor: copy hitsounds/timesections/between maps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +38
Topic Starter
TKiller
1) Hitsounds

Pretty obvious, isn't it? Mappers tend to use same hitsounds for parts with same melody/rhythm, why not save up some pointless work of applying same hitsounds to different patterns then.

Select objects, copy hitsounds, go to the start of the next similiar pattern, paste, hitsounds get pasted to the object that exists at the respective time point (means it's not supposed to matter if it's a circle/slider beginning/end/spinner), if there is no object at the supposed place, the hitsound gets ignored and pasting procedure starts processing next hitsound.

Will the ability to copy-paste the hitsounds make newer maps more boring? Nope, remember how many times you've hit a stream with a single whistle/clap each 4 beats. Was pretty helpful to keep the rhythm.

The above suggestion is pretty basic, it can be developed further to be able to work at multi-bpm maps and I'm sure I'm missing something.

2) Timesections

Even more basic. "Barcode hitsounding" rings a bell? Sure it does. Point is, currently we can select more than one section in the timing window, but if you click the "Add" button, only the first one gets copied.

Select needed sections, click the adding button, timesections get copied with the same intervals between them and selected, click "Use current time", first section from the selection gets placed at the current time, later ones get moved respectively.

3) Copying objects between maps

More controversial feature. Lots of mappers like using the patterns they've seen somewhere else for their maps. This feauture will make it more handy.

Supposed to work same as copy-pasting objects in a single map, object codes get copied in the clipboard, when pasted the timings get changed respectively: intervals remain same (means objects don't go any additional processing because of different Slider Velcity setting/etc).

Would that make maps more boring/repetetive? I can agree that lazy mappers might overuse that on 1/1 mapped Easy difficulties. But for the rest - such factors as different settings and music speed are supposed to limit repetetivity to zero. This is more of an "inspiration" feature. Know some slider shape/jump pattern you like? Get it copied, play around with objects order, reverse some, flip, move few grinds , place some circles on slider beginnings/ends and it's already a completely different map. People do use this way of mapping already, I'm only suggesting to make it more handy.

So.
Waryas
Copying objects between maps
This might be interesting and would avoid lots of notepad work
mm201
Topic Starter
TKiller

mm201 wrote:

well, I don't check changelog every time and is that for a test build?

And there are two more features suggested anyway.

Good to see that something is already implemented tho.
mm201
#3 sounds more like a bug. Objects themselves should put into the clipboard in a custom format, not just their offsets.
#1 is where things get strange. This has been suggested before, but behaviour when object timings are different, and a good user interface, haven't been figured out by anyone. You're welcome to come up with ideas for this if you want.
Topic Starter
TKiller

mm201 wrote:

#3 sounds more like a bug. Objects themselves should put into the clipboard in a custom format, not just their offsets.
#1 is where things get strange. This has been suggested before, but behaviour when object timings are different, and a good user interface, haven't been figured out by anyone. You're welcome to come up with ideas for this if you want.
Copy-pasting objects works if you open different diffs of a single set within a single editing session using Ctrl-O menu.

But it doesn't work between different mapsets, which is what I'm suggesting.

I can try to think of a good enough way of implementing #1, will post later if I figure it out.
ziin
I would prefer a "export hitsounds to bookmarks" feature which lets you bookmark all the claps or whistles or finishes (you get to choose) including those on sliders.

Obviously slider hitsounds are a bit weird, but it would help significantly when comparing difficulties, and would also be useful even if you get this thought up and approved.

Either make the format so that it rewrites all the bookmarks, or change the osu file format to add in a separate hitsounds bookmark section (make them on bottom with bookmarks, and make them cyan or magenta). If you don't make a new bookmark section, then make sure you add a confirmation prompt: "Are you sure you wish to do this? This will overwrite ALL bookmarks on ALL difficulties."

The general process would be:
Open up insane (fully hitsounded)
Bookmark the claps
Open up Hard, Normal, Easy. Use the bookmark controls (ctrl left, right) to navigate between bookmarks and put a clap wherever it goes.
Open up insane again, this time bookmarking the finishes

repeat etc...

It's not ideal or anything, but it's better than what we have now. I used excel to try to copy/paste my hitsounds, and it sort of worked, but I didn't get all of them right, and didn't get the sliders at all.

I realize there's a push to get away from notepad editing, but I don't see the reason. Notepad is a powerful tool which lets you do a lot of things, often times better than the default editor. Copying things between maps is one of those things. I don't think we need to replace that.