forum

[resolved] Game Lag: Common Causes and Solutions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mm201
Simply telling us that you are experiencing "lag" is very unhelpful. "Lag" could be used to describe one of many possible symptoms, each having many different possible causes. Here are some of the different kinds of lag you might encounter:

1. The game's behaviour (either audio, video, or both) is delayed from realtime.
    This could be a result of input lag--your mouse's actions are delayed. Possibly there are too many devices on your USB channel? If the lag is system-global, this is probably the case.
    It could also be a result of output lag. Check that your video isn't set to prerender too many frames, and that there aren't too many filters, splitters, etc. between your PC and your monitor. Also, some HDTVs add a frame lag to perform dejuddering and such. Make sure any such filters are turned off.
  2. The game's performance is choppy.
    This might simply be a result of low machine specs. Go into options and enable the FPS counter. If it's a value below 60 and the frame limiter is off, your graphics card might not be powerful enough to handle the game. Also check that other 3d apps in the background aren't eating up some of your precious graphics performance. If this is not enough, try checking the Low End PC option. DO NOT try switching to OpenGL to improve performance! At present, osu!'s OpenGL engine is neither as optimized nor as feature-rich as the Direct3D renderer. It is there for compatability reasons.
  3. Occasional momentary freezeups.
    Check if another background process is monopolizing your system for brief moments. This could be caused by other games, web browsers, or server apps (including file sharing/torrents). Close all other background programs and tray icons and see if the problem persists.
  4. FPS drops sharply after an update.
    This is known to happen to some users after some updates. Restart your PC to fix it in 99% of cases.
Some other quick solutions to improve performance.

-You can get higher FPS by having a fullscreen window open behind osu! when you're playing in windowed. Running the game in full-screen will also increase FPS usually.

-Certain resolutions automatically set the game up to use High Definition textures. Set LowResolution to 1 in the config to force the game to use the normal resolution textures for any resolution. Do this by turning off osu! and opening your .cfg file with a text editor. It will be the name of your computer in your osu! folder. Save changes.

Please discuss any issues related to any kind of lag in this topic.
Randy96
Oh awesome topic

<integrated into OP>
Randy96
Private (lol) message by teteu28
Hello, I read the topic but I do not quite understand ... how can I know:
" Check that your video isn't set to prerender too many frames, and that there aren't too many filters, splitters, etc. between your PC and your monitor."

sorry for the inconvenience ...
Topic Starter
mm201
Maximum prerendered frames (Nvidia):

ATI should be something similar.

Video processing devices should be pretty uncommon unless you're hooked up to an HDTV or projector. Look for media center type boxes and digital repeaters between your computer and the display.
_Angel

MetalMario201 wrote:

1. The game's behaviour (either audio, video, or both) is delayed from realtime.
    This could be a result of input lag--your mouse's actions are delayed. Possibly there are too many devices on your USB channel? If the lag is system-global, this is probably the case.
    It could also be a result of output lag. Check that your video isn't set to prerender too many frames, and that there aren't too many filters, splitters, etc. between your PC and your monitor. Also, some HDTVs add a frame lag to perform dejuddering and such. Make sure any such filters are turned off.
Changing priority of the Osu.exe in task manager from "normal" to "low" is helped me to avoid delay with tablet.
You can add this to the list :3
Jodyza
Hello, I'm playing osu! for a couple of months now and since a month or so, osu! starts to lag every 7/8 minutes while in-game. After 2 minutes it's gone. But after another 7 minutes it starts to lag again. The framerate drops from 149 FPS to 15-30 FPS. There are no other programs or processes running. Only Windows itself and the necessary processes. I've scanned my whole computer 3 times for trojans and viruses. All my drivers are up to date. I'm using Direct 3D. Resolution is 1920x1080, but lower gives the same effect. I've already read some other topics but I couldn't find an answer. I've no idea what to do, can someone please help me with this.

System specs:
Windows 7 64x
8 GB Ram
NvidiA 120 GT 1GB
AMD 2,63 Ghz Quadcore

My PC is a year old now and it's quite fast. It can run games like GTA IV, but why can't it run osu! ?

Sorry for my English, it's not the best. :)
Axel
Try putting Frame Limit on 60.
awp
Do you have an antivirus installed on your machine? AVG in particular tends to do this.
Jodyza

bRiGhT wrote:

Try putting Frame Limit on 60.
I will try it tomorrow, my mother is a bit angry now because it's 00:18 here. :)

Yes, I have an antivirus program on my computer. Microsoft Security Essentials, which also up to date.
Fabi
Try running the game with only 1 core processor.
Ibuki Suika
same to you
Topic Starter
mm201
Jodyza

Ever17 wrote:

Try running the game with only 1 core processor.
How can I do that?

The 60 Frames Limit didn't help, when I turned it on the mouse was slower, so I clicked everything miss :(. Unlimited gives me 500 frames. so I switched back to 120

EDIT: If I change the number of maximum prerendered frames, to which number must it be set? It's now 3.
My brother just said it also happens to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on this computer.
Fabi
Task Manager > look for osu.exe > right click establish affinity > 1 core.
Topic Starter
mm201
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I've merged your thread into the correct place. Please continue discussion here.
Jodyza

Ever17 wrote:

Task Manager > look for osu.exe > right click establish affinity > 1 core.
I tried it and it starts to lag again. But not as much as before. The framerate when it lags is now 40-45. It's still not playable because it skips frames and the mouse moves too slow.

I don't know why it lags because the computer is fast enough...
It even runs on my grandma's old computer!

I will continue in this topic.
Fabi
Re do it again, but now with just the necessary windows process and osu! AMD processors x2 x4 or more than 2 core don't" sympathize" with nvidia graphic card.

EDIT: By the way, graphic card temperature while playing osu! ? You can use HWMonitor to check max temp.
Jodyza
I made this screen of HWMonitor.

At 115 °C it starts to lag, I think the temperature is way too high!
Osu! is running on 1 core, there are no other processes running.

EDIT: I just went to a computer shop and they told me that my graphic card is dying :(
So I need to buy a new one... Maybe a GeForce GT 220 or a GeForce GTS 250.
Natteke
Also when you spend too much time mapping, osu starts lagging like hell. Highlighing a single circle takes 2 seconds and same goes to applying a hitsound and adding sliders/circles and so on.

Restarting osu! helps, however, if you turn osu! off, it's still turned on if I check the task manager. So I need to kill osu! task and then run osu! again to continue mapping.

WTF?
Sushi
For information. (kind of hint for complementing MM's Post)

If you have occasionally freezes, you can use Windows' tool to see "what's happening on your disk"

If you're on Win7 (I know for XP the tool is lol), go to Execute (Windows + R) and enter "perfmon /res".

The performance monitor will open (sorry french screens)

Access the Hard drives tab (or whatever it's called), then sort everything by writing

let it cool down for a second, don't mind the "System" accesses.

Play osu!, and when you get a freeze, check the perfmon to see what may cause it (this is how I found out that chrome was occasionally writing stuff)

There you go o/

This post was for everyone
show more