forum

[invalid] [web] Allowing maps to be frozen in qualified

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
CXu
If a map for example has a minor new combo issue, or a slight spacing issue that isn't caught until the map is almost making it into ranked, it would have to be DQd and wait through the whole qualified queue again. This sucks.

So QATs might not DQ these kinds of maps, since the issue is so minor and don't really affect gameplay much or at all, but there's no real reason to not fix these things. So instead, I'd like for the QATs to have two options: disqualifying a map, and freezing a map.

Freezing a map will result the map's position to be frozen in the queue. If it's at the 8th spot in the queue, it will go back to being in the 8th spot after the map is unfrozen. For every other map in qualified, frozen maps "don't exist". So if the 4th map is frozen, maps 1-3 and 5-7 gets ranked during the next cycle.

Freezing maps can also be useful for when a QAT wants more discussion for a questionable pattern. If the conclusion is to keep the pattern, there's no reason to DQ the map, so it can keep going through the queue from where it was. If the pattern is changed, the QAT can DQ the map as usual.

Of course, wipe scores whenever the map is changed. This should be fine as the scores get wiped when they're ranked anyway.
Bara-
So this is kinda like Self-DQ'ing?
But the map 'stays' in place for the cap?

I really like that!
Topic Starter
CXu
Well, not really self-DQing. It would still be the QAT doing the freezing, it's just for minor issues so you don't end up at the back of the queue again.
It does stay in place though.
Rivals_7
It' should be have a snowflake icon or something to clarify that "this" map is freezed due to minor issues xD

I like this idea though
Bara-
Okay!
I understand this
AND I WANT THIS
xChippy
Great idea, it allows a more smooth ranking process and on top of that it's a possible way to calm down people in situations like CXu has explained above which can possibly lead to discomfort to the mappers side, and as well to the BN/QAT team.

Support hue
abraker
Not a bad idea! Anything to speed up the ranking process without sacrificing beatmap quality is TOTALLY worth it!
Arzenvald
xAx this will be helping so much, map i'v qualified got dq ed twice by request just to fix small stuff...

uh well not so big but really important, i support this.. (how to give a votes anyway o.o)
peppy
Fuck that for a joke.
peppy
If a small issue was found, there are likely more issues. More time in qualified is a GODO THING.

Stop rushing.
OzzyOzrock
yeah tbh your map is basically guaranteed to get ranked anyways so just deal with whatever changes need to be made and stay patient
Topic Starter
CXu

peppy wrote:

If a small issue was found, there are likely more issues. More time in qualified is a GODO THING.

Stop rushing.
Except not really.

More time in qualified is a good thing, except when you end up staying there for 3 months because "rofl new combo"

Edit:

And btw, it does extend the time in qualified. You get the extended time from when it gets frozen to when it gets unfrozen. For bigger issues, where patterns are changed, DQ as always. It just makes that time more in line with the severity of the issue. A new combo fix doesn't need another week (or more) of people looking at that new combo. Unless you think every other pattern in a map should be checked more extensively. If that's the case, make the qualifcation period longer, or the requirements for a qualification stricter.

Oh, and yesyes, you're a busy and bigger man and all, but it wouldn't hurt to you know, not go "fuck that for a joke".
PyaKura

ExUsagi wrote:

xAx this will be helping so much, map i'v qualified got dq ed twice by request just to fix small stuff...
Hi ~

No but seriously I've requested 2 DQs on my map to fix very minor things and I'm currently going through my 3rd rerank process in 2 weeks. Honestly I wouldn't mind if it only affected me but I really do feel bad for requesting a DQ and then calling the BNs back twice although they have a lot of other requests to fulfill.

Supporting although it's been flagged as invalid..
JBHyperion
Nice idea on paper, but I get the feeling modders would start to cut corners if they know they don't have to pick up on the "little stuff" anymore, which will lead to a reduction in modding quality in the long term.

Also, what qualifies as "small issues" anyway? This is another subjective point, and two QATs may see things differently. I just feel this would create even more of a subjective "grey area" than we have already, and uncertainty and confusion will hinder the ranking process, not help it.
Topic Starter
CXu
Tbh, I feel like there's a much higher chance that QATs "cut corners" right now. Most issues would still warrant a DQ, I'm only talking about the things that don't really affect gameplay. If there is a NC that should be there that isn't (Like if this was getting ranked soon: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/637489 00:10:350 (4) - should probably have a NC) on the last day before being ranked, I'm not sure QATs would really DQ because of that, + I'd assume people looking for the bigger issues already did during the other days the map is in qualified. There also seems to be some discussion about the diffname for the hardest diff. It's not quite clear if it's against the rules or not, and it would be helpful to freeze the map while this is getting sorted out, especially if the map has been in qualified for a while.

As for small issues, I mean things that don't or barely affect gameplay, such as new combo, metadata, diffnames, or say 0.1x spacing inconsistency in a star-pattern or manual spacing being off by a little bit or things like that.
Myxo

CXu wrote:

As for small issues, I mean things that don't or barely affect gameplay, such as new combo We usually don't disqualify for New Combo issues, except when they create readability problems or the complete NCing makes no sense at all. Why would someone disqualify for a single missing new combo when it, as you said, doesn't have an impact on gameplay?, metadata No, metadata is not a minor issue, the map should be in Qualified longer again to doublecheck it, diffnames If a disqualify for diffnames is reasonable (which they usually aren't in my opinion but that's another topic), then it's just like metadata not minor, or say 0.1x spacing inconsistency in a star-pattern or manual spacing being off by a little bit or things like that Who would disqualify for that? Then I might as well disqualify for a blanket that is 3 pixels off.
Yeah so my conclusion is, freezing maps in this way doesn't make sense.
What would make more sense is that a map gets back to where it was when it is requalified without changes (aka when the disqualification was determined invalid). But even then, more time in Qualified shouldn't hurt anybody.
Topic Starter
CXu

Desperate-kun wrote:

CXu wrote:

As for small issues, I mean things that don't or barely affect gameplay, such as new combo We usually don't disqualify for New Combo issues, except when they create readability problems or the complete NCing makes no sense at all. Why would someone disqualify for a single missing new combo when it, as you said, doesn't have an impact on gameplay? - You wouldn't. That's the point., metadata No, metadata is not a minor issue, the map should be in Qualified longer again to doublecheck it, diffnames If a disqualify for diffnames is reasonable (which they usually aren't in my opinion but that's another topic), then it's just like metadata not minor, or say 0.1x spacing inconsistency in a star-pattern or manual spacing being off by a little bit or things like that Who would disqualify for that? Then I might as well disqualify for a blanket that is 3 pixels off. - Yes, no one would DQ for that. But it's still a flaw in the map, and there's no reason to not fix it if it's discovered. That's why I'm proposing this.
Yeah so my conclusion is, freezing maps in this way doesn't make sense.
What would make more sense is that a map gets back to where it was when it is requalified without changes (aka when the disqualification was determined invalid). But even then, more time in Qualified shouldn't hurt anybody.
Metadata isn't only the title though. If they misspelled a tag, didn't put in the Japanese as source (I dunno if this is something that's encouraged or not) or something like that. Yes, I agree if the title/artist is wrong, it should be DQd, as there's a good chance it's hard to find out the correct one if the mapper got it wrong the first time.

And if a diffname is wrong, and is changed to "xyz's Extra", you think it needs to go through another 10 days of qualification?

And well, yes, more time in qualification won't hurt the map, but we're not having a 1 year qualification time either. That would most likely piss off the mapper, and any players who likes the map and wants to set a ranked score. It's a compromise at some point, and I think this is a fair compromise for a map with minor issues, as well as when a discussion leads to no changes (as you've pointed out).
Myxo
Minor issues is not objective enough, it would be debatable what is minor and what isn't. Anyway, peppy denied it though I suppose the discussion is pointless right now.
Topic Starter
CXu
Well, if the whole map follows NCs on downbeat, and one combo happens to not have an NC there, when the song is the same as other parts of the map, then I'd say yes, it's objectively a small mistake that can be fixed, but is currently not worth fixing right now if it's discovered late (if it's discovered within a few hours of qualification, then sure go ahead).

If a tag is misspelled, that's also objectively a mistake. If the issue affects gameplay, then it's no longer minor.

And well yeah, peppy did deny it, but his post doesn't convince me that this is a "fuck that for a joke" or whatever.