forum

Taiko Questions and Advice Thread.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MMzz
Use this for all your questions related to Taiko instead of clogging up the sub-forum.
Don't know how to play Taiko or how the game even works? Look here. t/175867

Want tips on how and what to play? Ask here.
Want to know some good hardware to invest in? Ask here. (Or use this thread where people post what equipment they use t/282991)
Mapping questions? Sure why not.
See some sort of bug? TECH SUPPORT

Go here for general discussion about Taiko. t/102414
Or make your own thread for specific topics!

Ask away!
Raiden
Hey there and thanks for this post MMzz!!

I've got a quick question:

I recently switched to full alternate style and I'm doing quite good (imo) but I've got some trouble when starting patterns (ddk kkd not so much now because they're very frequent) with my RIGHT HAND (no I'm not left-handed) and that makes my full-alt learning more difficult. Should I make a custom map filled with patterns and start all of them with my right hand? Thanks again!!
kouzuki_karen

Raiden wrote:

I recently switched to full alternate style and I'm doing quite good (imo) but I've got some trouble when starting patterns (ddk kkd not so much now because they're very frequent) with my RIGHT HAND (no I'm not left-handed) and that makes my full-alt learning more difficult. Should I make a custom map filled with patterns and start all of them with my right hand? Thanks again!!
you could try mapping a reasonably fast song that you can have basic 3 note triples followed by 2 notes and repeat, like "ddk d k ddk d k". then play it until you are satisfied with your accuracy and try mixing the patterns / making them harder.

I also have a question: how to improve stamina? When I do a stream of a bpm as low as 170 I start losing accuracy after 40-50 notes, and start missing altogether around 15 notes after that.
Luna
I made this map specifically to practice low-ish BPM stream consistency, so it might be just what you need. The basic stream pattern is super simple, but it's very long.
[Ayase Eli]

Raiden wrote:

This depends on how "full-alt" you want to be. If your idea of full-alt means that you switch the HAND you play the note with every time (RLRLRLRL), then that makes some patterns unnecessarily difficult. If you swap hands only every time there is a repeated don or kat, then you can solve most of your problems just through practice of your bad patterns. I would suggest just finding out exactly how you like to do different patterns rather than forcing yourself to follow the guidelines of "full-alt".
Raiden

Potatocracy wrote:

Raiden wrote:

This depends on how "full-alt" you want to be. If your idea of full-alt means that you switch the HAND you play the note with every time (RLRLRLRL), then that makes some patterns unnecessarily difficult. If you swap hands only every time there is a repeated don or kat, then you can solve most of your problems just through practice of your bad patterns. I would suggest just finding out exactly how you like to do different patterns rather than forcing yourself to follow the guidelines of "full-alt".
I decided to RLRLRLRL and learn strictly that because in the end it'll be better than just semi-alting. Right now I can start (after some practice) patterns with my right hand so I'm getting quite better at it imo
goatlife
any advice on how to hit blue blue red blue blue red blue blue red streams?
Nofool
^ depends on your playstyle i guess ?

The full alt way is the best for them imo, config example : df jk

Then it would look like like this if you play a kkdkkdkkd pattern, starting with your right hand :
kdjdkfkdj

Another way to see it : cut it as 3 kkd patterns in a row, and then play the first one by starting with your right hand, the second one by starting with you left hand, and the last one with you right hand again etc (assuming you started the pattern with your right hand and know how to full alt a single kkd pattern).

Your best perf is Holy orders, some tricky ddkddkddk... patterns in it, no idea if you played them the full alt way but if so, then you know the move already. Well do you really need advice on that x_x ? you look pretty good and i guess you can play them already.
Topic Starter
MMzz
I remember learning those patterns by just grinding them until my fingers realized how they worked.

The way I used think when approaching them is by looking at the the start. Looking at the kkd or kkdkk at the start helps me graps the rhythm immediately and prepare mentally for bringing in my other d finger for the off beats.

By now it is muscle memory so I don't even have to think. But an interesting way of learned these patterns (or any in general) is just breaking them down.
goatlife

Nofool wrote:

Another way to see it : cut it as 3 kkd patterns in a row, and then play the first one by starting with your right hand, the second one by starting with you left hand, and the last one with you right hand again etc (assuming you started the pattern with your right hand and know how to full alt a single kkd pattern).
My playstyle is zxm,

Yeah I'm trying to do this method except with ,zm z,xbut I'm have the hardest time getting it down. I can play Holy Orders fine though it's just when the pattern is switched it's really hard.

But yeah I guess I'm gonna grind the pattern till I get it down. Are there any maps that can help me progress?
lolcubes
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/122658 kana's diff is good to learn that pattern. Just spam it until you can consistently FC it.
[Ayase Eli]
Yeah any small pattern like that you can nail down by just spamming it. Sometimes if I don't have a song to play for a certain pattern, I will start a song and try to play that pattern over and over in time with the music, ignoring the beatmap itself. Or one with a super long intro. My bane is kdd's D:
goatlife
thank you both! :D
[Ayase Eli]
Not that I understand why a hero like you would need tips on how to play Taiko :3
Aldwych
Still learning how2dkkkd.

Any advice? Because currently, i'm single tapping it on bpm < 130, and hoping on more. Maybe making a full map of dkkkd pattern just to force myself.
the_robot
Could somebody give me some advice on playing high bpm songs? (over 210 without mods)? Even if it is a song with relatively simple patterns like the oni difficulty for "Hit and Run in 1920 A.D" my fingers just can't keep up once the bpm kicks up.
Topic Starter
MMzz
Find the highest BPM you can play comfortably and work your way up. You will need to train your self physically and mentally. (To read the notes and hit them properly without getting tired) Do not force your self into a really fast BPM at the start. It can cause physical strain and damage to your hands, and you will develop bad habits for hitting patterns and bad accuracy.
Raiden

MMzz wrote:

Find the highest BPM you can play comfortably and work your way up. You will need to train your self physically and mentally. (To read the notes and hit them properly without getting tired) Do not force your self into a really fast BPM at the start. It can cause physical strain and damage to your hands, and you will develop bad habits for hitting patterns and bad accuracy.
This, basically.

I did start to practice patterns in a very low BPM environment (around 130) and worked my way up. Now I can consistently do any pattern at 180-200 bpm (sometimes even higher). So yeah, listen to this guy, he knows some sht :3
dewero
Hi! How do you know which finger to end on with long single color streams that end in the other color e.g ddddddddk.
Topic Starter
MMzz

dewero wrote:

Hi! How do you know which finger to end on with long single color streams that end in the other color e.g ddddddddk.
Counting helps! Or paying attention to even/odd number of colored notes. I did this early on because It was hard to differentiate where to end streams, when i figured this out I was improving my streaming abilities greatly. This also helps a lot with learning more complicated streams, because you keep counting and know how to transition properly. Using single tap, even numbers end on main hand, odd end of off hand. I'm sure it works similar ways in other playstyles.
show more