forum

Mechanical Keyboard Problem

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iSpR1Te
I'm not sure but I think that this is the right forums to post in because there is large amount of conversations of mechanical keyboards here.

Recently I bought this mechanical keyboard with red switches. http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFir ... +keyboards.

I've been searching google and the osu! forums for information about my problem. All that I could find was something slightly related to my issue possibly was thelewa mentioned that mechanical keyboards don't stand up to the constant pounding that osu! requires on a keyboard. Link t/80972/start=15

My problem is that just over a week of owning this keyboard I started to notice that my x key started to feel stiffer (take more force to press down) At first I thought it was just a faulty key or maybe i pressed to hard once. Then I moved to the keys c and v. I made sure that I didn't press very hard (especially with streaming) on the keys so if pressing to hard was the case then it wouldn't happen again. Well, after about 5 days or so, the v key started to feel stiff (require more force to press down).

This really surprised me because I used a laptop keyboard before I bought this mechanical keyboard for about 4 months and never had an issue with the key strokes. The only thing my laptop keyboard has is a slight clicky noise with the x key when I press it down but it doesn't affect the actually key press.

My question is do mechanical keyboards usually get stiffer over time as you use it? Do I just need to tough it out and get used to it?

Does anyone else have an issue like this?

Am I just pressing the keys to hard causing this problem?

I'm very confused and would like some answers because I thought mechanical keyboards were supposed to be more durable. :?
usa
do the keys feel more squishy? (do they not make as much sound and takes longer to press down and come back up)
if so, you might have something sticky down there and you'll want to clean it.

if not (or the cleaning didn't help at all), you have a faulty kb and you'll want to return it (a week is too short for it to break).
Amazon has a good return policy, and if you bought it from them, it shouldn't be too hard. gl
Topic Starter
iSpR1Te

usa wrote:

do the keys feel more squishy? (do they not make as much sound and takes longer to press down and come back up)
if so, you might have something sticky down there and you'll want to clean it.

if not (or the cleaning didn't help at all), you have a faulty kb and you'll want to return it (a week is too short for it to break).
Amazon has a good return policy, and if you bought it from them, it shouldn't be too hard. gl
Thanks for reply.

The keys are not squishy and I don't keep any food or drinks around my keyboard so I know for a FACT that there isn't anything under there. They just take more force to pressed down. For example, I have mechanical keyboard sample (has red, blue, brown, and black switches all in one) and the stiff keys start feeling more like black switches than red switches. I am considering sending it back depending on the answers I get in this thread.
boat
Quite frankly, it's probably just a placebo.

Switches do wear out, but not within such a short timeframe. There's nothing you can do but either get used to it or return it for a new one.
winber1
Generally, as far as I know, switches should feel easier to press when you use them more. Obviously when a long time has passed, like a year or so, then things like this will start to happen or the key stops working.

My z key currently does feel a little heavier than my other keys, but my x key feels lighter. But the difference is small. I am not entirely sure about blue switches, but as long as they don't feel that much heavier than the other keys, then there might not be a problem. However, how much does "that much" mean is up to your discretion.

I personally use red switches and my keys feel pretty much the same since I bought them like almost a year ago.
Mathsma
This happened to my Z, X, and C keys. It did not happen within a week but it happened within about a month or so for each key. Would buying new switches for each of these keys and then replacing them fix the problem?
Espionage724
I recall hearing somewhere that mechanical switches after a while would need to be greased to alleviate stiffness that would happen overtime. No idea how true this is though (can't exactly recall the inner-workings of a switch atm), but perhaps someone else has more feedback?
Soarezi
I've had this KB for 2 months now, no problems at all. Except my Z & X key's are shiny as hell LOL
nrl
Just switch your keybinds every few weeks.
Espionage724

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Just switch your keybinds every few weeks.
That's... avoiding the problem, not exactly solving it :p

Also: http://superuser.com/questions/313488/w ... -keyboards
nrl
It's not meant to solve the problem, it's just good practice. Personally, I'm with boat on this being a placebo effect.
raww_old
never had this problem on my reds after using it for a year, every key feels the same. (except the keys to the far right due to spilling soda :c)
Oinari-sama
Had my Quickfire TK Pro Brown for half a year now and the "osu'ed" keys are actually easier to press than others. I rotate k1/k2 every month and I can clearly tell the difference. (Up to my 7th keybinding pairs now)

Not sure how Reds are supposed to behave over time, but it could also be dust + condensation causing the problems.