forum

F2 - Random Button working like a MP3 Player

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +35
Topic Starter
Hula
It's been annoying me for a while now that I can hit F2 and get a song, then 5 random hits later it's back on that song. But of course I didn't want to play this song so now I have to hit f2 at least once more.

So the suggestion is that everytime you random it blacklists the song which it chose, so your next randoms don't include this song. But, if you play a map the blacklist is cleared. This way it becomes more like a MP3 players' shuffle function, which I always thought it was meant to replicate.

Edit: Turns out this is definitely not a bug, but when you hit f2, it's weighted on how many maps are in a mapset. So, basically my suggestion is to give every song an even weighting?
Raging Bull
osu! is not mp3 player. This will most likely get denied.

p/2552844
VoidnOwO

Raging Bull wrote:

I can't read
Raging Bull

BRBP wrote:

Raging Bull wrote:

I can't read

Apparently I cannot, misleading title.
Stefan
Sounds more like an issue to me.
Drafura

Hula wrote:

So the suggestion is that everytime you random it blacklists the song which it chose, so your next randoms don't include this song.
Why don't you just delete the map ? I don't want my maps to be blacklisted when I press F2...
TakuMii

Drafura wrote:

Hula wrote:

So the suggestion is that everytime you random it blacklists the song which it chose, so your next randoms don't include this song.
Why don't you just delete the map ? I don't want my maps to be blacklisted when I press F2...
No, he doesn't want F2 to go back to the same song after a couple of presses. What he meant by 'blacklisting' is that F2 wouldn't go back to the same song until all the other songs have been selected or until you leave the song select menu.
Topic Starter
Hula
Uh, no offense but why is like all but 1 of the posts trying to work out what the 4 simple lines I wrote mean?

Stefan wrote:

Explain? Since I think this has been the case for months, but got highlighted to me in the latest Random button update. Can't say if it's true for when you click Random as it is for F2, since clicking Random keeps the scrolling.
Oinari-sama

Hula wrote:

Uh, no offense but why is like all but 1 of the posts trying to work out what the 4 simple lines I wrote mean?
That means the 4 "simple lines" you wrote did not communicate your thoughts effectively. While I don't expect to see professional writings on a forum, it'll be good if people can simplify their posts when trying to convey important messages (if they cannot communicate effectively).

I'm not picking on you Hula, but since you asked, I'm going to use your original post as an example of how to simplify and communicate more efficiently:

Hula wrote:

It's been annoying me for a while now that I can hit F2 and get a song, then 5 random hits later it's back on that song. But of course I didn't want to play this song so now I have to hit f2 at least once more.
Keep a long story short. All of the above could've been summarised as "Random does not function properly at the moment." Writing verbally is usually a bad idea when one tries to convey important idea/messages. It makes the topic a lot harder to read. In contrast, writing verbally is totally acceptable where entertainment is more important than ideas (eg Off Topic).

Hula wrote:

So the suggestion is that everytime you random it blacklists the song which it chose, so your next randoms don't include this song. But, if you play a map the blacklist is cleared. This way it becomes more like a MP3 players' shuffle function, which I always thought it was meant to replicate.
This is your proposed solution to the current situation, ie the most important part of your post. Once again simplify! You want people to read it and understand thoroughly what you are trying to say, so keep it simple. This paragraph could've been summarised as:

"Please change how Random behaves so that we won't get the same song in a row."

Now compare this revised post with the OP:
Fix How F2 Behaves
Random does not function properly at the moment. Please change how Random behaves so that we won't get the same song in a row.

On Topic:

Stefan wrote:

Yeah this is more like a bug that needs fixing...
Topic Starter
Hula

Oinari-sama wrote:

Hula wrote:

That means the 4 "simple lines" you wrote did not communicate your thoughts effectively. While I don't expect to see professional writings on a forum, it'll be good if people can simplify their posts when trying to convey important messages (if they cannot communicate effectively).

I'm not picking on you Hula, but since you asked, I'm going to use your original post as an example of how to simplify and communicate more efficiently:

Hula wrote:

Keep a long story short. All of the above could've been summarised as "Random does not function properly at the moment." Writing verbally is usually a bad idea when one tries to convey important idea/messages. It makes the topic a lot harder to read. In contrast, writing verbally is totally acceptable where entertainment is more important than ideas (eg Off Topic).

Hula wrote:

This is your proposed solution to the current situation, ie the most important part of your post. Once again simplify! You want people to read it and understand thoroughly what you are trying to say, so keep it simple. This paragraph could've been summarised as:

"Please change how Random behaves so that we won't get the same song in a row."

Now compare this revised post with the OP:
Fix How F2 Behaves
Random does not function properly at the moment. Please change how Random behaves so that we won't get the same song in a row.

On Topic:

Stefan wrote:

Yeah this is more like a bug that needs fixing...
-A* a-level english

going to bug forum.
Topic Starter
Hula
Actually, is it possible to unresolve this? As it turns out it isn't a bug, and that f2 is working fine, but when randomising it's weighted on how many maps in a mapset.
deadbeat
i guess i can do that for you :p
Wishy
I have no idea how F2 behaves but it is true that it always gets to the same songs.
Topic Starter
Hula
I didn't want someone trying to educate me, I found it insulting.

Anyway, I really want this not to be weighted on the number of maps but just on the number of songs. That way we should be getting less of the same songs popping up within the same song duration.

Also, thanks deadbeat
Marcin
Cleared up thread, please behave here.
NeVMiku
bump

want.
winber1
i've always wondered about this. I get back to the same song a good using f2 quite often. and by quite often around 1 out of 50-100 tries, despite having like 5k songs, each with around 3-4 beatmaps. the chances of this happening statistically is pretty much improbable, especially since it happens consistently with this only around 50-100 tries. But that's just me idk.

I'm quite sure i have not even pressed the f2 button 5k times.

I'm more curious as to know if f2 is truly supposed to be random or not than really needing this request, but it would be a nice small thing to add.