forum

Menu Background Button VS (in-game scoreboard)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +16
Topic Starter
WickedEpiphany
Ok, so I've been thinking to myself why there hasn't been some kind of different file name for the menu-background button and the in game scoreboard. I've always wanted to have a different scoreboard image but since it is classified under the same file name it is impossible to do. (to my knowledge so far)

I just wanted to know why this hasn't been addressed? Maybe it's just not been considered before or even considered not important? I don't know but I just wanted everyone's opinion on this.
Luna
Huh, I never really thought about that, but you've got a point. It really makes little sense that they'd use the same element.
Topic Starter
WickedEpiphany
Yea, sorry bout the slow response have been up to a few things. I really don't understand why they haven't made something like that. Today I also noticed that the leaderboards are also effected by this, depending on what menu-background you have. If this was added I think it would really further the presentation of a skin.
theowest
pretty much this then t/121443 ?
Luna
No, this request has nothing to do with the result screen. The elements in question appear during gameplay and on the song select screen.
RBRat3
Reason why the element is shared is because it keeps osu! lightweight. The button itself gets colored throughout game screens instead of having individual button images per screen with a different shape and or color which would add some fat onto osu!'s ever growing love handles.

No one likes a fat cookie :P

But im sure an exception could be applied to just custom skins.
Topic Starter
WickedEpiphany
@ theowest what luna said

I see how that makes sense but in reality all that needs to happen is to create 3 different file names for Leaderboards (at song selection), (in-game) scoreboard, and the menu-background button. Actually I don't mind if there isn't one for leaderboards but I'd just like the further customization it would add. I don't think they have to do anything to the current vanilla Osu! skin (they could just put the current look for each file name), but like you said leave it for custom skins.

And thanks for taking the time to look at the thread :> I appreciate everyone's opinion
darkmiz
From the skinning tutorial:

MLGnom wrote:

[box=Menu-button-background]This part appears in few places, but main usage is in song selection screen as background for beatmaps info.

Can we separate it into different elements for song menu, score leader board panel, etc?
DexFrild
inet-pwnZ
menu-button-background.png

is used 3 Times as I counted ( Leadboards and Multiplayer and Song selection )

since skin update 2.2 you can use thumbnails on your skin
but it looks a bit odd in mulitplayer screen if no song is selected and you use a skin based on this thumbnail usage
same applys for category looks also odd since category does not use thumbnails

also I think it brings more creativity to skining if you can skin these elements individually

example
menu-button-background-mp.png
menu-button-background-leaderboard.png
menu-button-background-song.png
menu-button-background-category.png

Current Looks (for better understanding)
Multiplayer Lobby
Category
Leaderboards
Song