forum

[added] [Editor Mode] Move placed notes using Keyboard

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +28
Topic Starter
Lanturn
The whole idea of this is to be able to nudge placed notes by 1 grid coordinate using the keyboard's arrow keys. I normally come to points when editing songs where I just want to move notes slightly to either stack a note properly (If Control+G fails miserably since it sometimes adjusts the tail end by a bit when you revert it back) or when I want to make a perfect distance gap between two notes using the top right prev/next as a guide. This saves headaches for people who try to use their mouse without grid snap.

I wouldn't suggest it being directly on the arrow keys as people use it to scroll / speed up the song and such, so I would propose it being used while holding down control/shift/alt or some other combination so notes aren't accidentally moved because it would be annoying not noticing you moved a note slightly when hitting the arrow key by accident.

Ideas so far...
Ctrl/Alt + arrows | nudges a note.
+shift to the above | nudges a note 1 grid snap
Numpad | nudges a note. (can add shift as well)
Ability to move nodes in sliders.
Ability to rebind the hotkeys to whatever we want.

For those who don't understand, hopefully this picture makes sense.

theowest
The title is fine for now I think.

and it's not exactly 1 pixel, more like one grid coordinate?

This will help a lot when you are trying to create 0.0x distances from polygon generated patterns.
Topic Starter
Lanturn
Oh, I just assumed it was a pixel but it makes sense if it wasn't since everyone has different resolutions. I'll update that thanks.
DakeDekaane
Actually I find this useful, sometimes it's very tiring to aim to the exact coordinate where I want to put an object, for some symmetry patterns I make. (I map without grid snap)
Also, this could be done for slider nodes/anchors too? inb4 no
Please do~ :3
MillhioreF
I was just gonna suggest this, then I realized someone just did. All my yes.
(Maybe it could be Alt+arrows?)
Oinari-sama

Lanturn wrote:

First off... I need a better title. So someone suggest something please.

The whole idea of this is to be able to move placed notes by 1 grid coordinate using the keyboard's arrow keys.
That motion is referred to as "nudging" in many programs. The user can "nudge" a note to up/down/left/right by pressing hotkey+arrow.
[Luanny]
yup it should work just like moving SB objects with keyboard
support
Topic Starter
Lanturn
Updated the main post slightly. Thanks for the support so far guys. Glad I'm not the only one who wants this :)
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

Control arrows makes more sense than Alternate arrows.
Oinari-sama

theowest wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

Control arrows makes more sense than Alternate arrows.
Yeah most of the programs I use go with Ctrl+Arrow tap for nudging. Alt is usually reserved for menu items, where a user hit Alt first to highlight the menu then navigate the trees with arrow tap (instead of pressing at the same time).
Topic Starter
Lanturn
So another thing I was thinking, just as an added bonus, though it probably wouldn't matter that much since its easy enough to do with the mouse. Maybe if you held down shift + ctrl/alt and nudged the note over, it could move it one grid snap as well. What do you guys think? It'd be good for tiny grids and useful for making stuff symmetrical when doing horizontal flips.
theowest

Lanturn wrote:

So another thing I was thinking, just as an added bonus, though it probably wouldn't matter that much since its easy enough to do with the mouse. Maybe if you held down shift + ctrl/alt and nudged the note over, it could move it one grid snap as well. What do you guys think? It'd be good for tiny grids and useful for making stuff symmetrical when doing horizontal flips.
That's a nice thought, alternative to having to nudge it with your mouse by temporarily turning off the distance spacing.
TheVileOne
I agree. I hope that if grid snap is turned off, we can move in 1 pixel increments. That would be so useful.

I would prefer if I could remap the command though. 1 keypress per button would allow this. I want to use numpad.
Mithos
I'll support this. Most graphic editors like photoshop and the yearbook editor I use allow for arrow movements.
Topic Starter
Lanturn
It's been awhile since I made this thread. I've recently been having to use my touchpad and it's a bit frustrating. Also i really like dekaane's idea of nudging the nodes of sliders around. Maybe a direct click after selecting the slider would enable it since you can't directly select them.

Things we have so far:

Ctrl/Alt + arrows | nudges a note.
+shift to the above | nudges a note 1 grid snap
Numpad | nudges a note. (can add shift as well)
Ability to move nodes in sliders.
Ability to rebind the hotkeys to whatever we want.

Great list so far. Keep those ideas pouring in!
MillhioreF
Added!
Topic Starter
Lanturn
Hurray!

Thanks for adding this! :D

Arrows -> One Grid Snap
Shift+Arrows -> One Coord (ex, x45 -> x46)

Just in-case anyone is wondering.
Eni
!!
samplefish
Boop
Oinari-sama
yay~~
show more