forum

Toggle appearing slider tick

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +32
Topic Starter
Naikaze
I see that the new slider tick is different. It appears just before you click the slider start.
This really makes it hard to see Slider Velocity changes, maybe make a toggle to make it like the old one?
It would really help to have the old slider tick and not the new appearing one, because they're usually used for seeing SV Changes.

Thanks.
theramdans

Gatyaa420 wrote:

I see that the new slider tick is different. It appears just before you click the slider start.
This really makes it hard to see Slider Velocity changes, maybe make a toggle to make it like the old one?
It would really help to have the old slider tick and not the new appearing one, because they're usually used for seeing SV Changes.

Thanks.
Yep same as my thought,,,totally agreed
Frizz
Yea I find it frustating as well so supporting.
deadbeat
btw, just so someone doesn't try use this,

chan wrote:

Guidelines:

1. Don't request a toggle for disabling [insert new feature here] unless you want peppy to come to your house with a baseball bat.
this doesn't apply here, it's a valid request
peppy
No, sorry. The timing changes here are relative to the velocity and have been tested to make sense.
deadbeat
invalid then?
ryza

peppy wrote:

No, sorry. The timing changes here are relative to the velocity and have been tested to make sense.
When you see a slider, usually you would plan out how to play it ahead of time, and decides on your course of action. You cannot plan it out correctly if you do not receive all information about the slider before you have to hit it. It just does not work.

You read drastic SV changes by the position of the slider tick, that's one of the main reasons why SV changes can work. If you hit the slider expecting a certain SV and only realize that the SV changes after you hit it, it is likely you will miss (depending on how drastic the change is)
Sakura
Mappers shouldn't be using drastic SV changes to begin with.
Frizz
What's done is done, there is a considerable amount of maps that has been ranked/approved with drastic SV changes. Sure the fading in slider ticks is a plus for the sake of aesthetics but some players tend to rely on slider ticks to help sightreading on extreme maps.

My suggestion is to add an option in skin.ini for enabling or disabling fade-in slider ticks.
Tshemmp
Take this map for example http://osu.ppy.sh/b/164183.
03:18:461 (1) - this slider fits prefectly but it is impossible to read with the new slider tick behaviour, leading to assured combo breaks unless you know the map. It was perfectly readable before the change.
ryza

Sakura wrote:

If they fit the song and were readable with the old behaviour, they were a great technique and fun to play

I think saying something like this is just wrong
Aqo

Sakura wrote:

This is a wrong mindset. Mappers should be allowed to do everything they could do before. There is no reason that things that were previously readable and playable would become unreadable with a new skin.

Changes are supposed to lead to improvement, not to take a step back.
Kodora
Hmm, i think it will be better if people will be able to disable this new sliderticks if they not want it, right?
Aqo
The problem with reading sliders is that, unlike circles, you need to move on them from the moment you click. Unless you make sliders either snake at exactly the tempo of the AR as a forced gameplay feature (which would be nice but only if actually done right), or make the first slider tick always show instantly when the slider appears regardless of the tempo that the rest appear, sliders are unreadable with this update because there is no way to plan ahead on the first 1/2 of the slider (in the case of tick rate 2. with lower tickrates it's even worse).

The new behavior might make sense in theory but without slider snaking it reads poorly.
karma_komodo
or just make a toggle (maybe in skin.ini) to go back to all old in-game animations.
Rokk
I support this completely.

Why not make it a toggle? It's really hard to read SV changes now, without memorization.

Silynn wrote:

peppy wrote:

When you see a slider, usually you would plan out how to play it ahead of time, and decides on your course of action. You cannot plan it out correctly if you do not receive all information about the slider before you have to hit it. It just does not work.

You read drastic SV changes by the position of the slider tick, that's one of the main reasons why SV changes can work. If you hit the slider expecting a certain SV and only realize that the SV changes after you hit it, it is likely you will miss (depending on how drastic the change is)
This is exactly why we need a toggle.
jesse1412
I'm just going to delete slider ticks because at this point they're just a distraction.
GladiOol
The human race as a whole is generally allergic to change, so when things like this are implemented there is usually an initial push for it to be removed. The important part is educating and waiting for acceptance. - Dean Herbert aka peppy.

Source

I do want the toggle by the way
Luvdic
Well, for what it's worth, there are some slider that makes a circle like pattern like this:
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/662592

Some people wouldn't even care to go around the whole slider because there are no slider ticks, and they would just move their cursor to the slider end, but then suddenly a slider tick appears: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/662594 and there's already not enough time to react so you combo break
Horo

Sakura wrote:

Tell that to those who've made 80% of all approved maps.
GoldenWolf

ErufenRito wrote:

Well, for what it's worth, there are some slider that makes a circle like pattern like this:
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/662592

Some people wouldn't even care to go around the whole slider because there are no slider ticks, and they would just move their cursor to the slider end, but then suddenly a slider tick appears: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/662594 and there's already not enough time to react so you combo break
This is exactly why I kind of "draw" the slider, avoided countless sliderbreak like that : D
But the only thing I need to know is at what speed I have to follow the slider, and with sliderticks appearing at the last moment (or at least only after hitting the slider) I don't have time to read them, and it often end up in a sliderbreak with drastic SV changes.

Seriously, I have nothing against anything in the new skin (not even the "I click on watch replay instead of Back to Menu") but that slidertick behavior ... It may eventually look nice, but it plays very bad and ruins the gameplay a bit.
laport
I completely agree with the OP, because I came to this forum with the same idea.
After I tested them with an open mind, I could not get used to the sliderticks and removed them completely. But this was even worse for me, so I had no choice but to accept this new animation.
I loved the old slider ticks because they indicate speed changes, when reading far ahead.
When I am playing with tablet, I tend to read further ahead than when I play with mouse, where I have to keep track of the cursor always, so automatically when playing with mouse these ticks are not too bad, but still too close to the action, not too much ahead. Playing with tablet is now simply annoying.
After severely testing on more difficult than your average hard/insane maps, these new ticks are not helpful at all, they look nice, so a toggle would be cool, also to make transition better

I bought Sim City the other week, it was tested but still there are major bugs, because they only gave pre-purchasing beta testers 1 hour to demo the game before launch. Nobody noticed spectators can build airfields and train-stations and destroy your city with parks all of which using the money of the player that is being spectated. And now EA is giving me a new free game to dry my tears.
Rokk
I really hope peppy doesn't dismiss our constructive criticism as "Being allergic to change". Some changes are good, I love how the new menu looks. But the falling X's in Taiko is unacceptable, and the new slider tick behaviour makes reading SV changes nearly impossible.
Phenomz-_old

Teraku wrote:

I really hope peppy doesn't dismiss our constructive criticism as "Being allergic to change".
>as always

Supporting this but no stars, damn.
theowest

Teraku wrote:

But the falling X's in Taiko is unacceptable
this part is definitely true t/123349/
mm201
Ticks definitely fade in waaay too late. I understand the motivation to make them represent the SV but they should begin to expand as soon as the slider itself fades in. The current behaviour makes SV unreadable on high ARs.