forum

[Archived] osu icon laucnches, but nothing happened

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ascendrio
I just updated my windows display driver today, since I thought that it would fix the lag from osu, and I tried to launch osu after the update. When I clicked on the osu shorcut icon, the logo appears in the middle of the screen as usual, but after waiting for several seconds, the icon disappeared and nothing happened. Not even an error or the osu crash cilent appeared! I investigated a little more by using the task manager to see the osu!exe program. It turns out that when the osu logo appears in the middle of the screen, osu!exe was running. But, when the logo disappears, osu!exe suddenly vanished.

I tried:
- using "Run as administrator"
- reinstalling and updating osu!
But nothing happened...

Any help guys?

Edit : Here's some GIF links about how I can't install the new osu!
https://gyazo.com/767adb2a76c1a73e7a53443ed87d0db2
https://gyazo.com/2536484d69da5b0d9c13306d01be0446
Dntm8kmeeatu
Did you restart your computer? What GPU do you have? what Drivers did you install?
roxasNoXii
i had the same thing. what i did was go to the old osu website to download the old osu client. then in the settings or somewhere it would say update to the most recent osu which should fix it. if not just use the old osu client it still works like a charm and you get to use opengl or directx settings. ik its really weird how it worked for me but trust me it happened to my laptop where when i tried compatibility mode it broke my osu and reinstalling didnt work.
Topic Starter
Ascendrio

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Did you restart your computer? What GPU do you have? what Drivers did you install?

Yes I did, it didn't work. My GPU is Intel(R) HD Graphics 620. I installed a windows update (I don't know what version it is, but I'm pretty sure that's it's the latest one from yesterday) and a display adaptor driver from intel's website in an exe type file (Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 Version: 24.20.100.6194 (Latest) Date: 7/11/2018)

roxasNoXii wrote:

i had the same thing. what i did was go to the old osu website to download the old osu client. then in the settings or somewhere it would say update to the most recent osu which should fix it. if not just use the old osu client it still works like a charm and you get to use opengl or directx settings. ik its really weird how it worked for me but trust me it happened to my laptop where when i tried compatibility mode it broke my osu and reinstalling didnt work.

Ayy, the old osu cilent actually worked! The problem is, it doesn't show anything about "update to the most recent osu" in the settings....it just says that it's running on the latest osu version. To be honest, I would really want to use the osu cilent of today, not the old version. But, thanks for the help man! (If you could really find a way to update osu!, I would really appreciate it...)
Doge Owner
Try running the "osu!repair"
You'll find that in your osu! folder, however if you don't have the shortcut, try these steps:

1. Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard.
  2. While holding Shift, double click the osu! icon on your desktop.
  3. Continue holding Shift until you see the recovery dialog prompt.
  4. From there, click on the "Repair osu!" option
Topic Starter
Ascendrio

Doge Owner wrote:

You'll find that in your osu! folder, however if you don't have the shortcut, try these steps:

Err, when I installed the new osu!install program, there wasn't any osu! shortcut in the desktop
Doge Owner

Ascendrio wrote:

Doge Owner wrote:

Err, when I installed the new osu!install program, there wasn't any osu! shortcut in the desktop

Make your own desktop shortcut:
  1. Search "osu!" on your windows task-bar, right-click it and you'll see an option that says "open file location".
  2. Right-click it again and you'll see "Create shortcut".
  3. Then just drag it to your desktop and follow the steps above.
Topic Starter
Ascendrio

Doge Owner wrote:

Ascendrio wrote:

Doge Owner wrote:

1. Search "osu!" on your windows task-bar, right-click it and you'll see an option that says "open file location".

Alright, I now have the osu shorcut on my desktop. I did hold shift and then double clicked on the osu shortcut, but again, it's just the same! The logo appears and disappears again! I'm not sure if holding shift is working....cause I already waited for a minute.
Death
Please follow this guide to check for crash logs in your event viewer. Post any that you find here.

You also said in a previous post that your GPU drivers were from 1-2 days ago? Have you tried reinstalling them? It's possible something went wrong while updating. Or you may need to roll back a version.
Topic Starter
Ascendrio

Doge Owner wrote:

Ascendrio wrote:

Doge Owner wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately, nothing happened. I think I've seen this solution from a post from a year ago. I also tried those, and it didn't really worked. Well, thanks for the help tho! You helped me, even if it still doesn't work!

Death wrote:

Please follow this guide to check for crash logs in your event viewer. Post any that you find here.

You also said in a previous post that your GPU drivers were from 1-2 days ago? Have you tried reinstalling them? It's possible something went wrong while updating. Or you may need to roll back a version.

Alright, here's the crash log

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2018-07-27T15:13:55.415253900Z

EventRecordID 5521

Channel Application

Computer LAPTOP-GLV26V3J

Security

- EventData

osu!.exe
5b31f0d0
atioglxx.dll
57cac370
c0000005
00d68354
01d425bc6ea59974
C:\Users\LPDP\AppData\Local\osu!\osu!.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0309556.inf_amd64_b424d70a1d24b231\atioglxx.dll
b8b8e187-8ff6-4604-a94b-2da796ae1590

Hmm....I haven't tried reinstalling, I'll try now! About rolling back a version.....I can't go back to the previous version since windows already deleted the old files. I don't know about doing a clean install too...there's a lot of important files in my laptop.

Edit : Yeah, I reinstalled the driver and still nothing. Osu still won't open.
Death
It's definitely a graphics/driver issue based on the log you posted.

Try using Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall whatever drivers you have now and download the drivers for your GPU from AMD' website.
roxasNoXii
it should say on the bottom of the main menu of the old osu client that says update to the more stable version if i recall what i did during January to fix my osu on my laptop
Death

roxasNoXii wrote:

it should say on the bottom of the main menu of the old osu client that says update to the more stable version if i recall what i did during January to fix my osu on my laptop

Installing an older version of the game and then updating will most likely not do anything, and it could potentially cause more issues. There is no reason to do that, especially in the case of this issue.

You were likely experiencing some other issue not related to this, and there is a chance installing an older version of the client isn't actually what truly ended up fixing the issue.
show more