forum

[Archived] Tablet timeout when playing osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NicOwO
Problem Details:
Recently I've started playing longer maps and noticed that after 5 minutes or so without the pen touching the tablet it just stops tracking. I'm using a Huion h610 pro. Any help is appreciated regarding fixing this issue.

osu! version: 20170731.1beta
Wingman626
Hello There!

Hopefully we can get your peripheral device fixed so you can get back into the "rhythm" of things......

yeah, horrible pun, forget about that.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Back in 2015 when i used to patrol the "Help" forums Religiously, there would always be a problem with the Huion Line of tablets.
Problems would range from a simple driver issue to a manufacturer defect all the way down to something simple as a worn-out pen. so in order to narrow down the list of possible issues that could be hindering your playtime, i like to go through a checklist of my own that i use during my rounds of IT work, both on the job and with my own devices at home.

Troubleshooting Tips
1.) What Activity May Be Causing This Issue And How Often Does This Occur?

Although you have stated that this tablet is of course for you gaming sessions, you should check out if any other variables trigger the same event. that way, it'll help you figure out if it's only the game that causes this problem or if the issue happens no matter what you do with your system.

finding out the frequency that the problem happens to ''happen'' is great information as well. does this happen every time you open the game? or maybe it doesn't fix itself no matter how many times you restart the application and a PC restart is your go-to solution that you always.. well... "go-to"

information like this goes a long way into figuring out what it is that you do that triggers a problem which in turn will help you avoid it in the future.

2.) Is the device Wireless? If So, Are The Batteries Fully Charged?

Sometimes, the majority of problems that stem from device functionality can be fixed by the most simple of solutions (kind of like, unplugging it and plugging it back in. super simple, but it's always what you do first naturally). maybe you forgot to charge your device. or maybe the device uses AA or AAA batteries and they need replacing. OR maybe the device is wired instead of wireless.

have you tried maneuvering the cable around to see if the device connects or disconnects? do you see any noticeable damage on the wire insulation?

the wiring could be kinked inside the insulation and requires that you position the cable in a certain way.

and a quick warning to products with damaged and/or exposed wiring; if possible, disconnect or remove the power source for the damaged device and set it aside as anything electrical that is damaged poses a safety hazard.

3.) Can I Replicate This Issue On Another Computer? Or Do I Have Another Of The Same Device To Test?

Sometimes a Problem Could have a simple solution. so before doing a million and one troubleshooting theories, a simple thing you can do to find the root cause is to unplug the device from the PC with the Issue and transfer the device to another PC to try and replicate the problems there.

install the device and let Your OS install the necessary drivers to run the device itself (Do not install any latest drivers from the manufacturers website yet).

if the same issue occurs, you can narrow down this issue to a problem that could be with the device itself or a problem with the application.

if everything appears to be fine, go ahead and install the latest drivers for the device and test the product again. if the problem does not happen, then you now know that there might be a hidden gremlin thats waiting to be found on your original PC that could fix this issue. if the problem does occur again, you now have shortened your list of theories to that of driver incompatibility or device function and you should try downgrading your driver (if possible) to test and see if device functionality returns.

additionally, if you have a 2nd device of the same make and model, you can unplug the problematic device and plug in the second device to see if it could be a hardware fault.

4.) Have I Changed My Settings Recently And Have I Or Have I Not Updated My Drivers?

This Question Can Apply to multiple things other than what you are having trouble with. perhaps you changed your settings for your device recently which was followed by this unexplained occurrence. or maybe you updated your drivers in which the software may not be compatible with the current application build.
or it could be the other way around! maybe you updated the application you use with the device and the version of the application suddenly doesn't work with your device.

from here you can formulate a theory and retrace your steps to go back into a version that did not have this issue for either your device or your application. execute your theory and jot down the results and see what works for you.

Can I Use The OS Or The Included Software With My Device To Test Functionality?

Usually, certain product manufacturers like Intel or Western Digital, include troubleshooting applications with the product or make them available to download to help test your application and check if it is operating within set factory guidelines and will let you know if there is a problem that could easily be fixed or if it requires that you replace your product.

or sometimes, when it comes to devices like joysticks or tablets, the device settings VIA windows usually comes pre-built with tracking that shows in real-time if the device is functioning. it will show you a map of all the buttons and show an axis graph that will track with position the device is in (axis graph usually for joysticks, but there may be a similar test to show where on the pad the pen is touching)

check your device to see if it is functioning as it should.
if something on the device isn't performing as it should be or the device fails at everything you threw at it and then some, Refer to Mambo #5

5.) If All Else Fails, It's Time To Throw In The Towel.

as they always say, your time is as valuable as the money in your wallet. you have made it to this step and have run out of ideas. before you pull out the rest of your hair, know that you are never alone. Refer to your Manufacturer Warranty OR Third-Party Warranty that may have been purchased at the Point-Of-Sale and give "them friendly folks a call".

make sure to let them know the issue you have encountered and the steps you have took to fix the issue. the representative on the other hand will let you know what can be done about the product and you can request to either replace the product for free or to get a refund so that you can spend that cash on another device for your needs.

if you don't have warranty or if the warranty on your device has expired, then investing in a new device should be your last decision if all else fails

Hopefully this information will help you with your device. i encourage other readers who may have other information that may be helpful to 'chime in' and comment to help with this situation.

and as always, if OP has any further issues under this same topic, do not be afraid to reply.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Huion Pens have a sleep function to prevent battery drain, you will need to incorporate tapping the pen to the tablet often enough into your play style.
Wingman626

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Huion Pens have a sleep function to prevent battery drain, ....

well, will you look at that. i was aware of the sleep function, but i wasn't aware that the pen has to touch the tablet constantly to keep the device powered on.

then again, pen tablets were designed for things other than gaming, so i'm not surprised.

thanks for that info, that will save me a lot of headaches for when i buy my First pen tablet device.