posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DendiMyBrother
Admins, pls add osu! in Steam Greenlight
deadbeat
this has been asked for a lot, and it will never happen sorry
peppy
Why are we apologising? Why are we locking threads without providing reference or reasoning.
Ayachi-
abraker

peppy wrote:

Why are we apologising? Why are we locking threads without providing reference or reasoning.
Wait! Is it me or peppy has an interest in greenlighting osu?
The Gambler
Well I heard Minecraft got sold, why not osu?
abraker

The Gambler wrote:

PEPPY WOULD NEVER! You wouldn't, right? right??? :cry:

Besides, you don't need to sell the rights to greenlight.
The Gambler
As long as peppy is thinking about the #peppyjet, osu! is at risk.

OT: Pretty useless anyway as mods for osu! such as skins and stuff are already done by fans for free. Monetizing it would ruin the fanbase

Then again, why wouldn't peppy not have the right to sell his stuff?
LoliPantsu

The Gambler wrote:

minecraft is inferior to osu
DragonSlayer96
What would actually be a benefit to adding Osu! to Steam Greenlight? Just looking over the Greenlight section I found a few issues that we do better anyway or would cause issue.

1) What is Steam Greenlight?
Steam Greenlight is a system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the new games to be released on Steam. Developers post information, screenshots, and video for their game and seek a critical mass of community support in order to get selected for distribution. Steam Greenlight also helps developers get feedback from potential customers and start creating an active community around their game during the development process.

2) What do I need in order to submit my game?
You'll need a valid and non-limited Steam account (yes, that means you'll need to own a game on Steam). Then you'll need to fill out the submission form, including some information about you and your game. There's also a one-time $100 submission fee per Steam account. The submission will require:

A square branding image (similar to a box cover) to represent your game in lists and search
At least 1 video showing off your game or presenting your concept
At least 4 screenshots or images
A written description of the game along with the tentative system requirements.

3) Are there any restrictions on what can be posted?
Your game must not contain offensive material or violate copyright or intellectual property rights.

4) I have a free game – can I still submit it to Steam Greenlight?
Yes, you can submit your free game to Steam Greenlight. Note that once your game has been Greenlit and you are preparing for release, any in-game transactions or subscriptions available to Steam customers must be purchasable only by the Steam Wallet.

5) What is your revenue split?
We don’t discuss our revenue split publicly. Once your game goes through Steam Greenlight, we will get to those details.

1) This is exactly what we do to the game anyway. All of our efforts are posted on the forums. Whether it is a new feature, a bug fix, a new idea or even a new beatmap, it all can be found on the forum itself. Hell, just logging on and looking at the chats for long enough does that in a way because people are posting screenshots of what they did, saying they are streaming, linking beatmaps and speccing/playing. People who know the game can offer help immediately in #help or #modhelp and give you the aid you need in real time and can discuss it with you rather than post and wait which can greatly lengthen the time it takes.

2) In sort, Peppy needs to pay to get into steam. No one is going to watch at least 20 vids to see how this game works and what genres of music you can find on steam (hence why youtube and live streams are so popular for this). Also, screenshots of this game to no one who has seen it does not make any sense to them unless they see like the ranking panel. Seeing pics of gameplay (which i know a lot of people who only look at the pics before they get a game on Steam) does not look attractive. They see either circles in a line, circles spread out across a screen, fruit falling or a weird piano type deal for gameplay screenshots.

3) We all know about Konami here and what they did. People are still submitting Beatmania maps. Do I need to go further on this point?

4) In short, you would have to use the Steam store to get suptags and other merchandise offered through here. I have tried a few games where there was a way to do it on their own site itself and all it did was open up the Steam Wallet deal and saying to add funds to it. Also, you can stockpile things through Steam also so you can have like 130 name changes just stored up and just use them whenever you feel like. If someone would do this, I think Peppy might snap and that would not be good for any of us

5) Peppy has stated that he makes a living off of Osu (no other way to put it since he said he quit his job to run the game). This would mean everything we buy would cost more and I would not like to see that happen at all. I doubt anyone would want to see the price go up honestly.

And one more thing. Steam would have to be running in the background while you play. There are users who can only play Osu only if it is the only thing running. Making it so you have to have Steam up too will just drive those people away. If you think said people do not belong on Osu, you are sadly mistaken because there are mappers/modders and probably BN's/mods who can only play like this. It does not only affect the non-supporter who only comes on to play.
abraker

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

stuff
tl;dr... just kidding, it actually has some very good points. READ IT. To summarize, Steam only benefits game developer companies to rapidly popularize their games. And even so, this brings far more BAD things than good things. Just look at Notch's reason of not putting MC on Steam. The supporter, cutting edge updates, etc would all disappear.

This thread needs to be stickied for users wondering why osu! is not on Steam to know why. Unless someone comes up with a compelling counterargument, enough been said.
TABLETCLIX
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about adding osu! to steam greenlight, mainly because the small, friendly community has always grown on me. I can't really imagine osu! with a huge community like Minecraft, for example. I would also hate to have steam running in the background, as DragonSlayer96 pointed out;

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

Steam would have to be running in the background while you play. There are users who can only play Osu only if it is the only thing running. Making it so you have to have Steam up too will just drive those people away.
If I'm being honest with myself, I probably could run osu! and Steam simultaneously, but I hate doing so, because my computer does lag out, and occasionally freezes. Some days, I consider myself lucky to get osu! to run at all. Some machines just have days like that. :/
autoteleology

DragonSlayer96 wrote:

stuff
That is an excellent argument.
Howl

abraker wrote:

peppy wrote:

Wait! Is it me or peppy has an interest in greenlighting osu?
That's probably not it. What I think he means is that "Why are we closing this thread without giving a reason to the OP about why this won't happen?", because in deadbeat's post there was no reasoning behind the fact that osu! isn't going to be on steam. Once [ S a k u r a ] linked those threads, the thread could have been closed. osu!, as ephemeral, peppy, deadbeat, XPJ38 as well as many others pointed out, won't ever be on the steam's store.

That being said the debate (which can't even be called as debate as i think everyone here (if I'm not a fucktard and have read incorrectly) agrees on the fact that osu! shouldn't be on steam) on this thread is pretty much useless.