forum

Approach rate: 10

posted
Total Posts
show more
jesse1412

Wishy22 wrote:

Start by playing maps with a spacing big enough to get follow points appear between each hit. When you just start playing HR you will be using follow points for real for the first time in your osu! life, they really help A LOT when you just begin. You'll notice this after a few hours/days of practice, if you play any map where you don't really get follow points because the spacing is too small, you gonna have a lot of trouble reading the map.

It may take time to "warm up" your reading skills too, for example, I find it very hard to read AR 10 when I just start playing (since I'm not really active at all), but after a few minutes I can play it normally. So yeah if today you are doing GREAT after a practice and tomorrow you suck, it's normal.
or you could remove the follow points and get used to actually playing the AR... follow points make the map appear at a lower AR if you use them correctly which is why I've started removing them.
G0r

Winshley wrote:

So I'm the one who's being a weirdo for memorizing all the notes' location for AR10 maps then? :P
I've only just begun to be able to HD HR maps with good accuracy, but for me it's not memorization. I can see the circles for sure as they come. You do begin to get super comfortable with the map after you play it fifty times trying to do it, and that obviously is when I get my best accuracy play throughs, but I believe that quick reactions to what I am seeing is more important to me with this mod than memorization. I always imagined that very high speed HR maps might have to be memorized, though. Some of the HR play that I've seen is so fast that I can't imagine myself doing it by sight yet. That might just be my inexperience, though. It always looks impossible until it's not.
darkmiz
All pros can do AR 10, it's pure reflex after practicing for a while.
Some people like cookiezi even read AR 11.
sCam
The only two AR10 songs I have practiced on is Airman, and a difficulty I slapped AR10 on YuYu Metal on. It's pretty fun. Try double time, and hardrock to get used to AR10. Or spam Nightcore mod on your fav songs ;3
silmarilen
AR8+DT is actually really close to AR10 for practice
CXu
Screw AR10 and streams, ok.
silmarilen
says the person that HR's every insane out there
JesusYamato
The holy grail of HR training is masterpiece
You can't be considered a hr player if you haven't fc'd masterpiece.
Masterpiece = baby's first hr, it's a initiation ritual.
CXu

silmarilen wrote:

Who me? :?
Aqo
>AR11

There's a lot of random mentions of AR11... does AR above 10 actually exist in this game? It feels like DT just makes note density higher on maps which gives you less time to spend on reading each note's relative spacing and timing from the previous note, so you get the illusion the AR is higher because you have less time to think, but is the approach time from the initial object appearance actually any different? Can anybody give a citation on this?
silmarilen
the time between the approach circle appearing and the approach circle hitting the note also decreases so yes, technically it increases the AR
Aqo
Is this tied to BPM or is it a DT-specific thing?

For example if I took two maps that have AR10 in their default setting.

Map A is 200bpm
Map B is 300bpm

with nomod, would the AR for maps A and B be:
1. identical
2. higher for map B

with DT on map A and nomod on map B, would the AR be:
1. higher for map A
2. identical

?

(logic would dictate that the only possible combinations are either 1&1, or 2&2)
silmarilen
they are both identical, because AR isnt linked to bpm.
also AR doesnt increase by 1.5x like the bpm when putting on DT
Aqo

silmarilen wrote:

they are both identical, because AR isnt linked to bpm.
also AR doesnt increase by 1.5x like the bpm when putting on DT
But this is the opposite of what you said earlier just now. It means the AR doesn't go up.

silmarilen wrote:

the time between the approach circle appearing and the approach circle hitting the note also decreases so yes, technically it increases the AR
quoting to make it clear -
if the time for stated above decreases with DT, it means the AR goes up. This means that if maps A and B had the same AR with nomod in their map settings, then if map A is played with DT it should have higher AR than map B with nomod, according to what you said.
Zare

Aqo wrote:

Is this tied to BPM or is it a DT-specific thing?

For example if I took two maps that have AR10 in their default setting.

Map A is 200bpm
Map B is 300bpm

with nomod, would the AR for maps A and B be:
1. identical
2. higher for map B

with DT on map A and nomod on map B, would the AR be:
1. higher for map A
2. identical

?

(logic would dictate that the only possible combinations are either 1&1, or 2&2)
As AR is absolute, not relative, the answer for the first question would defintely be 1.
Also, if DT really increases the absolute Value of the AR, the second would also be 1, since the AR of Map A increased due to DT, and the AR of map B didn't (cuz no DT)
silmarilen
oh sorry i misread it.
in case 2, 1 is indeed correct.
Aqo
In other words, if you want to play a certain map (that exact map) with higher AR, you would need to:

1. Take the map's song into audacity and reduce its speed by 33%
2. Make a new map for the slowed down song, copy the layout from the original map and use a lower bpm accordingly
3. Play the new map with DT - it'll be exactly like the original map, only with higher AR

Is this correct?

BRB making AR11 mappack. yay? wtf really. why does osu work like this
silmarilen
i guess, im no expert on editing maps.
Tom69_old
DT increases the AR by more than 1 and by less than 2. In fact AR9 < AR8 + DT < AR10 < AR9 + DT < AR11.
To be exact, AR11 (if one uses the normal MS formula of osu!) is equal to AR10 + DT and not to AR9 + DT.

However: Many people refer to AR11 as AR9+DT and to AR10+DT as AR12.
Winshley

Tom94 wrote:

DT increases the AR by more than 1 and by less than 2. In fact AR9 < AR8 + DT < AR10 < AR9 + DT < AR11.
To be exact, AR11 (if one uses the normal MS formula of osu!) is equal to AR10 + DT and not to AR9 + DT.

Indeed. To be specific though, AR9+DT is a little above AR10, but it's below AR11. AR10+DT is the true AR11.

I assume so because it could be similar to the OD timing calculation. After all, OD and AR are the same settings before late 2010. Based on the millisecond calculations, AR9+DT is like... AR10.3333. :lol:

Going further with the calculations, DT adds more AR if it's lower. AR0+DT becomes AR4.3333. I haven't tried this yet, so I won't confirm this just yet.
Rei Hakurei

Winshley wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

Indeed. To be specific though, AR9+DT is a little above AR10, but it's below AR11. AR10+DT is the true AR11.

I assume so because it could be similar to the OD timing calculation. After all, OD and AR are the same settings before late 2010. Based on the millisecond calculations, AR9+DT is like... AR10.3333. :lol:

Going further with the calculations, DT adds more AR if it's lower. AR0+DT becomes AR4.3333. I haven't tried this yet, so I won't confirm this just yet.

you're right. AR11 is AR10 + DT because, AR11 might be calculated with same formula like AR>5

but AR0+DT is AR5 actually :3
Wishy
Aqo just shut up AR 9 + DT makes "AR 11" since it's faster than AR 10 it's not an illusion whatsoever, it's just faster and unless you're retarded and blind you will notice how fast it is compared to AR 10, you don't need any citation or explanation, just go and see.

You are always looking for an explanation for everything just GO, PLAY, SEE and you'll not only save HUGE amounts of time but also get decent at damn playing.
Kanye West

Wishy22 wrote:

Aqo just shut up AR 9 + DT makes "AR 11" since it's faster than AR 10 it's not an illusion whatsoever, it's just faster and unless you're retarded and blind you will notice how fast it is compared to HR 10, you don't need any citation or explanation, just go and see.

You are always looking for an explanation for everything just GO, PLAY, SEE and you'll not only save HUGE amounts of time but also get decent at damn playing.
+1
Purple

CXu wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

Who me? :?
Yeah you. You thought we wouldn't notice??

Oh and AFAIK: AR8 -> AR9 -> AR8 DT -> AR10 -> AR9 DT -> AR9.8 DT -> AR10 DT. I think.
Wishy

Purlpo wrote:

Yeah you. You thought we wouldn't notice??

Oh and AFAIK: AR8 -> AR9 -> AR8 DT -> AR7 HR -> AR10 -> AR9 DT -> AR7 HR DT -> AR10 DT. I think.
Fixed.
silmarilen
isnt it ar8dt = ar7hr?
Aqo

Wishy22 wrote:

Aqo just shut up AR 9 + DT makes "AR 11" since it's faster than AR 10 it's not an illusion whatsoever, it's just faster and unless you're retarded and blind you will notice how fast it is compared to AR 10, you don't need any citation or explanation, just go and see.
what are you even replying to
and god your reading comprehensions are terrible, people just now explained how AR9+DT is barely different from AR10 (400ms vs 450ms). If you really want AR11 you need AR10+DT
silmarilen
even if AR9+DT is 10.33, its still a huge difference with AR10.
Zare
btw, I love how simple "How can I play XYZ??? D:" threads always turn into huge discussions about the game, it's mechanics, gameplay styles or fights about pp.
Aqo

silmarilen wrote:

even if AR9+DT is 10.33, its still a huge difference with AR10.
not really "huge". It's there but...
The human reaction time on average is approximately 200~250ms. AR11 being 300ms means you only have 50~100ms to execute the action you perceive, or in other words, if a circle appears on the screen with AR11, you have 1/10 of a second to jump to it.

With 400ms (AR9+DT) it's 150~200 and with 450ms (AR10) it's 200~250, it is a difference indeed but not as significant as other levels of difference before or after it. (regular AR9 is twice the time post-reaction compared to AR10, the difference between AR10 and AR9+DT is 4x smaller compared to AR9 vs AR10, that's why 9+DT is really just 10.3 and not 11).

btw Rei_Fan49 thanks a ton for posting those tables! BIG BIG useful! <3
Sup A Noob
So much science, I'd rather stick with the artistry and play the game.
thelewa
Damn, my reaction time is about 5 seconds

I guess I can't play this game at all
jesse1412

Zarerion wrote:

btw, I love how simple "How can I play XYZ??? D:" threads always turn into huge discussions about the game, it's mechanics, gameplay styles or fights about pp.
I love how you sum up everything that needs to be said in the first post and yet we keep getting more threads asking how to improve. We really should just have one thread for all this rather than dividing it in to multiple threads; or rather a "how to improve" thread collection linking to many previous threads so we stop getting these every 2 weeks.

In reality the answer to how to improve X is to practice regardless of what your are asking, every other tip will be about your peripherals (mech kb, tablet) and other peoples experience with said peripherals (full area tablet, high mouse sensitivity).
Sup A Noob
Not fast enough for AR10 unless the map's stupidly predictable, because I don't memorise maps.

thelewa, you need...spiritual enlightenment.
silmarilen
the question is answered and people decide to start discussions in the threads. i actually dont see the problem with that.
Sup A Noob
The discussion is nice and all. We all love learning new things as long as we don't insult one another's mother or something.

The thread though, we have too many of these. I swear it's all psychological, these questions, and the solution to these are also psychological.
jesse1412

silmarilen wrote:

the question is answered and people decide to start discussions in the threads. i actually dont see the problem with that.
the problem isn't the discussion, it's the fact that there are like 8 threads per months asking how to get better. It's nice for people to want to become better but it's just becoming clutter.
thelewa
jesse1412 will you tell me how to become better if I make a thread
jesse1412

thelewa wrote:

jesse1412 will you tell me how to become better if I make a thread
sure I will. Go ahead, it's not like we don't have enough "help me improve at X". Try to be creative though, instead of saying "help with stream pls" make a thread called "I need help pleasuring my women", that way it's different and slightly more creepy.
thelewa
You should've posted that earlier
show more