forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
dung eater

-Chronopolis- wrote:

How do you handle your mouse for these things?
Lower dpi, zero wrist usage for up/down movement using arm/fingers (wrist for some vertical movement) to move mouse.

Various stacks of singles, you just have to find the things they correspond to in the song and tap. It's easier to singletap mixed stacks of whatever imo. Alternating takes more concentration.
ZenithPhantasm

-Chronopolis- wrote:

(I play mouse keyboard.)

For the longest time I used some jerky motions to make the hardest jumps. They were still aimed and I had some success, but the problem was that those motions changed my wrist orientation in a way that wasn't always reversible (often downwards, with the mouse stuck against the bottom of my palm), and often I would get to this part were I couldn't aim at a certain angle any more. and angle. When it was only large jumps I would just use my forearm, but switching was hard.

Last few days I switched to a more snappy style with recoverable movements which doesn't suffer that much from my wrist getting stuck in a awkward position.

Two things mess me up though:

Slider followed with a single on the end of the slider
AND
Bunch of singles, but with some consecutive singles stacked.
Oh also sliders which are slow but you have to jump fast between. I keep getting tempted to sling my wrist a bit for that, not so good.

How do you handle your mouse for these things?
It sounds like you're not reading it properly. Perhaps switch to a skin that doesn't have slider ends?
agubelu
Hi guys, I started playing about 6 months ago and I feel like I've been improving steadily until the last two months or so. I can pass ~5 star maps with 95%ish accuracy but I can't FC them because I always miss some notes.

I feel somewhat frustrated because I feel like I'm not improving anymore, it doesn't matter how many times I try I always end up failing some random circles.

Do you guys think I should keep practicing those maps I feel comfortable with until I can FC them easily and then move on to something harder, or just start trying stuff I can barely pass (like 80% acc)? I'm afraid I can end up having some bad habits if I do the latter.

Thank y'all, have a nice day~
Yuudachi-kun
Keep playing those maps until you DO fc them; I very rarely get a one play fc. A lot of the times it's those one miss or slider break, but at the other end of the tunnel is 130+pp

e: actually at 30k you should try 4.3-4.7. You can gain a lot that way.
agubelu
The thing is I dont really care about ranking and PP, my main motivation is just self-improvement, that feeling that you get when you play a map that used to be hard and now feels like a piece of cake (also to be able to play more difficult maps b/c they are more fun imo).

Thats why I want to know your opinion about whether or not spamming >5.5 star maps to raise my skill ceiling is a wise idea.

Ranking just kinda comes naturally, I guess.
sayonara_sekai
turn back now, FCing is an incredibly useful skill to have.

maybe 1000 of the 1700 A's I have are 1x misses. you dont want to become this, its not a good time.
Yuudachi-kun

agubelu wrote:

The thing is I dont really care about ranking and PP, my main motivation is just self-improvement, that feeling that you get when you play a map that used to be hard and now feels like a piece of cake (also to be able to play more difficult maps b/c they are more fun imo).

Thats why I want to know your opinion about whether or not spamming >5.5 star maps to raise my skill ceiling is a wise idea.

Ranking just kinda comes naturally, I guess.
Spamming songs for fc just above your level raises your skill level, not spamming image material and airman 500 times a day.
dinopwn
for singletaps i don't have space to move my arm up and down since the table is too big what do i do
kutora
Hmm interesting thoughts. I really just read up on Jumps and Single Taps andd skimmed through Squares.
I can't really agree with jumps because I think it's a lot more about being comfortable at your current sensitivity.
For instance, I have my sensitivity on my mouse at 6000dpi which is something I need to actually function using a PC now. Used to be 5500 when I still played osu! with a mouse.
I've tried changing my sensitivity a lot when it comes to osu! but I found that once you think you found something you think works, it's going to take a long time to get used to it again. For me I switched from 3500dpi to 5000 to 5500. I tried going back down but once I did I found it crippling cause I couldn't play decently on a lower sensitivity and my "muscle memory" I guess couldn't go back to a higher sensitivity unless if given at least a month. Also if I remember correctly I had osu! set to about a 1.3x sensitivity too.
I basically got it to a point where I would only have to move my wrist and fingers (wrist for left and right, fingers for up and down) within a very small field but I liked it, maybe other people who are used to higher sensitivities will too??

Too be honest, I think getting a tablet would help out a lot of people just cause it's a more natural position to hold a pen then a mouse (for most people at least) and I found it to help with accuracy a lot. Went from around 94% to 98% now.
With this I also have my sensitivity bumped up, again so I only have to use my wrist. I guess I just find there to be more control because of what you're pivoting is closer to the pen. Would also depend on how much control you have over your forearm muscles.. That or maybe I just really like higher sensitivities.. I really don't know but hey, at least I'm trying to add on ;D
Almost

kutora wrote:

Hmm interesting thoughts. I really just read up on Jumps and Single Taps andd skimmed through Squares.
I can't really agree with jumps because I think it's a lot more about being comfortable at your current sensitivity.
For instance, I have my sensitivity on my mouse at 6000dpi which is something I need to actually function using a PC now. Used to be 5500 when I still played osu! with a mouse.
I've tried changing my sensitivity a lot when it comes to osu! but I found that once you think you found something you think works, it's going to take a long time to get used to it again. For me I switched from 3500dpi to 5000 to 5500. I tried going back down but once I did I found it crippling cause I couldn't play decently on a lower sensitivity and my "muscle memory" I guess couldn't go back to a higher sensitivity unless if given at least a month. Also if I remember correctly I had osu! set to about a 1.3x sensitivity too.
I basically got it to a point where I would only have to move my wrist and fingers (wrist for left and right, fingers for up and down) within a very small field but I liked it, maybe other people who are used to higher sensitivities will too??
It doesn't take a month to adjust your sensitivity. If you just change your sensitivity a small amount at a time and get used to it through gameplay/general use, it shouldn't take too long. Also, jumping is more about reading than your actually ability to aim your cursor. Most misses you get is through poor reading.

kutora wrote:

Too be honest, I think getting a tablet would help out a lot of people just cause it's a more natural position to hold a pen then a mouse (for most people at least) and I found it to help with accuracy a lot. Went from around 94% to 98% now.
With this I also have my sensitivity bumped up, again so I only have to use my wrist. I guess I just find there to be more control because of what you're pivoting is closer to the pen. Would also depend on how much control you have over your forearm muscles.. That or maybe I just really like higher sensitivities.. I really don't know but hey, at least I'm trying to add on ;D
If you have a good mouse, then they are around the same (except I find tablet pulls ahead on long songs that don't have many breaks).

dinopwn wrote:

for singletaps i don't have space to move my arm up and down since the table is too big what do i do
Don't move your arm up and down I guess??
Rainbowrat_old
Очень хочется что бы мульти игра разделяла экран на 2 половины, если вдвоём играть, и так шло соревнование
Girakoth
Hey guys!

I'm kinda new to Osu! (well, I started two months ago), and right now I'm trying to beat hard maps.
But I'm having a really bad time with this T.T

Well, let me explain. I can do easy / normal maps without problems and perfect chain almost all of them. But hard maps are, well, hard XD
I can deal with hard maps when the notes are placed in a logical manner (for exemple, this map : https://osu.ppy.sh/s/71561)
But with those who have randomly placed notes (I don't have any exemple in mind), it start to fuck up my brain and it's not always easy to follow. Same goes for short sliders that have long duration, I fail them most of the time because I don't know when they'll stop.

I also have some accuracy problem on fast maps, but I think it will change with practice.

So, do you have any tips to improve this? Should I continue with hard maps or first try to do easy / normal maps with mods?
Yuudachi-kun
Mods are dumb. Play more hards and fc them. Also buy a tablet.
Girakoth
Well, I would like to do si but for now I have to save money :/
Do you have affordable ones in mind?
Yuudachi-kun
Huion 420 is cheap at $30 and works well for me. I can't speak about any other tablet, but the size of the H420 is small enough that full area is not a huge problem like on some big-ass tablets.
Girakoth
I'll check this, thanks ^^
Yamashita Kenta
need tips in 4k mania how to be a pro.
sakurahime-
game is hard D:
Riesu
No matter how hard I try, I can never get the streams right! >.<
DestroNova
I find myself using a mouse sometimes over a pad, some songs I find are easier.
Ikikaera
I've been playing for over 1 year now, and my maximum streaming speed for long streams is still at ~160 BPM.
My speed, even in singletaps, hasn't improved over the last 4 months. It's pretty frustrating.

-edit-

I guess I just wasn't working hard enough.
maelander
I am newbie. I have been playing osu for a week after 2 years of inactivity. (played for like a month or two back in 2012-2013). I didnt know you could use keyboard ZX lol, been playing with the mouse clicks till I read this some days ago and I got a little better. I have a question: I use X to "single tap", when you talk about triples and the pattern zxz zxz is it for X or Z tappers? I'm struggling to make triples combined with sliders (and also doubles). I want to know if I should be doing triples like ZXZ ZXZ as I use X for tapping. thanks~
uberpancake

maelander wrote:

I am newbie. I have been playing osu for a week after 2 years of inactivity. (played for like a month or two back in 2012-2013). I didnt know you could use keyboard ZX lol, been playing with the mouse clicks till I read this some days ago and I got a little better. I have a question: I use X to "single tap", when you talk about triples and the pattern zxz zxz is it for X or Z tappers? I'm struggling to make triples combined with sliders (and also doubles). I want to know if I should be doing triples like ZXZ ZXZ as I use X for tapping. thanks~
I think the norm is doing it like xzx xzx if you single with x
FrenchFries1009
I'm a noob at OSU.
Barusamikosu

FrenchFries1009 wrote:

I'm a noob at OSU.
Welcome to osu.
quit while you still can
Yolshka

maelander wrote:

I am a fairly new player myself, and i also tap with the "X" key. which means i use my index finger.I tried tapping Z with the middle finger, but it just doesn't feel as comfortable.

What i usually do is "XZX" for triples because it feels easier that way.Obviously if you feel more comfortable using "ZXZ" while tapping with "X" you could do so, it is preference.A lot a of the top players actually tap with "Z", but i cant help it, so fck that.
Also when I see the triples coming i raise my index finger higher than i do at the end of the slider.It will make the finger switch easier.
The combination though is different, i hold "X" while i press "ZXZ", raising finger a little higher. I don't think there is another trick to do this because you have to hold the button to slide.

As for doubles, i am horrible at them, trying to avoid doing it as much as possible, which i guess is wrong if you want to learn how to do those.
When i do meet them though i use ZX. Tried XZ but it didn't really work.

So my advice would be to just try the different variations and see what feels right for you

But then again i am just a guy babling, so.......maybe there's a secret unique technique that immidiately gives you perfect triples.
This is actually pretty interesting, i guess we have to just wait till a more experienced fellow makes a comment here.
Yuudachi-kun
18 ms offset now
Windows aero on for the 2-4 ms of input lag

This is why I cannot od9 ever.
E m i

Kheldragar wrote:

18 ms offset now
Windows aero on for the 2-4 ms of input lag

This is why I cannot od9 ever.
do not be retarded, my friend
i wouldn't tap late if i had 50ms more latency because i would listen to the hitsounds, and so can you
Yuudachi-kun
I don't think I've ever tried to listen to hitsounds. I just look at the approach circles when I try to acc.
ZenithPhantasm

Barusamikosu wrote:

FrenchFries1009 wrote:

I'm a noob at OSU.
Welcome to osu.
quit while you still can

Obligatory
SERAPH-SENPAI
thanks a lot, this helped me a ton!

+1 :D
gintoki147

ShadyAngel wrote:

So my advice would be to just try the different variations and see what feels right for you
I fully alternate, but for triples sequences I prefer doing XZX XZX XZX.
I sucked at doubles too. Now I try to read them as individual notes, not doubles, so I alternate normally like ZX ZX ZX ZX. It's working so far.
SpiduhBMX
So i just got a Huion H420 today and am allready better with it than i was with mouse. I had some slight aches in my wrist and forearm with mouse and am experiencing them mostly in my wrist with Tab (After a few hours of play). (Possible Carpal tunnel? Don't care. Im addicted to this game.) I have a 1600x900 screen and i run osu fullscreen 1600x900 and i had my tab area set on Screen ratio which makes it 16:9 instad of 4:3. Should i make my Tab area smaller? How small should i go? Is there anything i can do that may help with the aches? Also, i was wondering if i could get your oppinions on my tapstyle. I generally go zxzxzxzxzx to the point i will usually have exactly half and half for z and x.
-sev

SpiduhBMX wrote:

Possible Carpal tunnel? Don't care. Im addicted to this game.
Oh you will care when the pain starts hindering your everyday activities.

SpiduhBMX wrote:

Is there anything i can do that may help with the aches?
Stretch. Take breaks. Long ones if necessary.
SpiduhBMX

Kaienyuu wrote:

SpiduhBMX wrote:

Well, ok, i do care, i don't want it to get horribly bad, but i do want to become quite good at osu. /me hopes

SpiduhBMX wrote:

Stretch. Take breaks. Long ones if necessary.[/quote]
I've done some CT stretches a few days and i usually try to when i go to play Osu!, but i find my wrist actually hurts more after i do it. I think that's just me way overstretching though. My wrists do make an audible click or crack when i bend them back and forth though. But i've had that for a while from BMX.
burningpipe
Been playing for 4 months , i don't play it everday , just a couple of times every week.

my best play has been 48 pp with a stupid normal song , i can't seem to get across that barrier no matter what i try , i've been playing hard-insane maps and i just don't get better, i use mouse and keyboard, i don't instantly fail in those maps but i can't pass them either , even if i do i just can't get over 48 pp ):
Yuudachi-kun
Give actual star values; normal an hard is too vague.
Aki desu_old
Thanks for the guide sir. But I'm bad at following fast sliders. My hands starting to hung up. :|
kyun_DELETED

Kaienyuu wrote:

SpiduhBMX wrote:

SpiduhBMX wrote:

Stretch. Take breaks. Long ones if necessary.
even if ones everyday activities are osu & osu. feels bad
mycookiee
Thanks, this helped a lot.
show more