forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Alisson
I started playing with a tablet + keyboard 2 months ago, before that I couldn't barely pass a 4 stars AR9 song. So I started playing around to be used to the tablet, with a really small area, and then I could pass some harder songs, then after reading these tips for the first time, I changed the tablet area to a bigger one, an area like thelewa's (he posted his area in some other topic I don't remember). Firstly, I couldn't pass again these 4 star AR9 songs. But in a two days playing something like 5 hours a day, with little interruptions between each hour, I was a little better than I had been with the smaller area, and I haven't changed since then. At that point, I could pass 5 star songs with B rank and 4.5 stars with A rank.

After that, I decided to start FCing all songs (I had about a thousand songs) in difficulty order, starting from the ones I could FC. I'd never imagine it'd help me to improve much more than simply trying to pass harder 5+ star songs. Exactly what everybody said, it's quite annoying to FC easier songs. Now it'been 7 weeks since I started FCing easier songs, I have about a hundred FCs, including those 4 star AR9 songs I couldn't pass before the tablet (2 months and a half ago). When I just wanted to have fun playing harder songs, I suddenly could achieve 400, 300 combo in 5.3 star songs and got A rank, I couldn't believe it's real lol.

My goal is to buy a red switch keyboard (at the moment I don't have a mechanical one), keep FCing more and harder songs, step by step, and be the best of my country (this means about top 100# in world). It's a very hard goal, the best guys from my country are really good, today I can't imagine me doing the things they do, but 3 months ago would I have thought today I'd be doing the things I do? Never...

Thanks for all knowledge you guys shared.
-Atri-
Well, it's impossible to become Cookiezi anyways D:
[ Sakurai ]
This thread is so great. I found so much stuff to become a better player. Thank you.
MiloSx7
Why would ANYONE want to get better at the game that's about clicking circles?
Haha. Joking. Very good guide. The fun thing about this game is an improvement. I always like to compare my newer plays to my older one and think: just why was this hard to me back then? :D
I've been reading it once every month and the funny thing is that i always understand it differently as i get better :D
Verniy_Chan
Nice thread..
Froic
A lot of people have recommended me to make my active area larger.

i tried this 2 days ago but i am still having trouble with far jumps and can't seem to get that muscle memory going.

need some advice on this please D:
Gumpy

Mankachu wrote:

Play More
Froic

Gumpyyy wrote:

Mankachu wrote:

Play More
i tried but my hand isn't long enough to reach far jumps :C

I'm trying to move my wrists as much as possible but Im not retaining any muscle memory in my wrist movement.

my hand also shakes a lot whenever I do jumps.
dung eater
dragging might be more stable, you could hold pen from further away from the tip, you could set up your are to better suit the range of motion you are now comfortable doing or you could keep practicing (if you've got a largeish area it's probably just a matter of learning a comfortable grip and playing more to stop bigger shakings)
Yuudachi-kun
My grip keeps constantly sliding down and into weird positions. It's weird how this didn't happen the first two days I had my tablet but now it happens every map and I hope for a break in the songs so I can re-adjust.
SomeLoli
My grip used to move when I started out and was dragging, ever since I switched to hovering my grip doesn't move at all. I hold the pen a bit higher hovering as well so maybe that made the difference....who knows
Bane
I come back after 2 weeks break and I'm still worse than I was before despite continuous play. Why do I even bother with this game.
Yuudachi-kun

Sajtail wrote:

I come back after 2 weeks break and I'm still worse than I was before despite continuous play. Why do I even bother with this game.
I'm signifcantly worse each morning and take 4 hours to reach my final form which is only 4.2% better than my waking up form.
SomeLoli

Sajtail wrote:

for fun? getting mlg isn't that important
ZenithPhantasm
Have a loli sit on your lap=Instant 300bpm streams
Yuudachi-kun

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I would find one but they don't let me around the primary schools anymore.
Nathan

Kheldragar wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I would find one but they don't let me around the primary schools anymore.
Hey me too
GSG95
Fap with your mouse hand more.
nbs4
is this thread ok for noobs to post in
GSG95

nbs4 wrote:

I am a noob.
Froic

nbs4 wrote:

of course! its not like peppy is gonna read this and ban you XD

*peppy walks in room*

*raises hands in the air* IM INNOCENT!
nbs4
I meant is this thread socially ok to post in, but ok.
Yuudachi-kun

GSG95 wrote:

nbs4 wrote:

I am a noob.
Same
Bengon
Can anyone give me some tips on doing slow streams better? I made a big mistake and tried to learn streaming at around 180bpm and now I can't go below it without getting a bunch of misses or 100s. I've been trying to do slower streams over and over, but It seem's pretty futile as I just end up going to fast because of how used I am to doing faster streams.
Cladnic
When it comes to the square jumps (jumps with a square pattern) I have been having a really hard time. What i have been doing when trying to beat the map is that I have tried to just go with a circle motion with my pen on the tablet.

This have worked in some cases but it feels really weird like i'm not really playing the way I should play. I just can't get the feeling from it.

Do anybody have some advice?
Like is there another motion you can use? And have you had this problem your selfe and did you solve it somehow or just play for a while and something just clicks?

Please anwser :)
/Cladnic
Cladnic

nbs4 wrote:

Yes of course :)

This thread is for improvement and learning right? And I personally don't think the "pros" have much to learn from other players so you could say that this is only for noobs :D
lilelf29

jesus1412 wrote:

It can be very tiring and hurtful for your arm in the beginning if you are not used to it. But don't worry, it will stop after a few days.
I'm not quite sure about this "few days" comment.
I've been playing everyday for around 3 months now and I get forearm aches everyday during play/after play.
It's normally okay again in the morning though.
Soft

nbs4 wrote:

Let's be real, most of us are noobs.
- Makii -
I have problems with increasing the rate at which I tap.
Any tips on how to click faster with one finger? :)
Froic

NanozZ wrote:

I have problems with increasing the rate at which I tap.
Any tips on how to click faster with one finger? :)
practice makes perfect!. usually the problem is not how you can increase the rate at which you tap, but the level of control that you have over the speed that you tap.

try this map https://osu.ppy.sh/s/96661 insane mode. don't think " i must tap as fast as i can just because its a stream". try thinking "ok this is the beat of the song and i have to tap as close to the beat as possible". keep trying. eventually you will get the hang of it.

to increase my tapping stamina i play stream maps like o'er the flood, unpleasant sonata, and hatsune miku mythologia's end.
Yuudachi-kun
I think anyone would start to miss every note trying to go as fast as possible at 143 bpm.
Froic

Kheldragar wrote:

I think anyone would start to miss every note trying to go as fast as possible at 143 bpm.

true dat. lol.

siingle tapping 150 bpm streams require lots of control in your fingers. thats why wubwoofwolf can HD + HR scarlet rose. both his fingers are in full control as if they have a brain of their own xD
Ikikaera
After playing frequently for 1 year, I still can't stream long streams. Even if they're 180 BPM. After some time one of my fingers just stop moving and I keep getting misses, I often can't follow a long stream with my cursor for too long either.
Any way to prevent that from happening?
Yuudachi-kun
How long is long? Even I fail 167 bpm after ~400 notes.
figifugu
I seriously thought it was just gonna be "just practice" thread but this gave some serious advice. Thank you!
Ikikaera

Kheldragar wrote:

I consider long streams as anything that has more than 10 notes...
iiyo
I'm going to play standard and when I play the grip on my mouse feels off and I can't do squares that well any tips?
Yuudachi-kun

Chris9427 wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

I consider long streams as anything that has more than 10 notes...
Have you tried tensing your elbow/arm? Somehow that makes me faster for brief periods of time.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/130500?m=0 near the end has a 50ish note long stream.
Ikikaera

Kheldragar wrote:

Have you tried tensing your elbow/arm? Somehow that makes me faster for brief periods of time.

Oh god this map.
And yeah, my arms are pretty tensed up as soon as I'm doing something that requires me to push my limits. And I'm already at my limits at 190 BPM and/or long streams.
My singletapping isn't that fast either, but I'm getting there.
Yuudachi-kun

Chris9427 wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Oh god this map.
And yeah, my arms are pretty tensed up as soon as I'm doing something that requires me to push my limits. And I'm already at my limits at 190 BPM and/or long streams.
My singletapping isn't that fast either, but I'm getting there.
My singletapping was slow as shit too. Then I suddenly found out I could get through the opening of scarlet rose and spammed that like 30 times (I got 3/4 in as my record). Also Cocaine.

Now it's a lot better so uhhh....

e: Also 180 bpm square jump practice map and he has no mittens helped too.
show more