forum

My first Osu! Standard beatmap

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Noviahoa
I decided to create an Osu beatmap on one of my favorite artists, Jack Stauber.

The song is MILK, from the shop opera that aired on adult swim. I don't have any experience in creating beatmaps, and any criticism will be nice for the map lmao.

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1075596#osu/2250648 (link to the map)
-TechNote
The offset of the map shouldn't start after the time when the music starts after the spinner. The music begins to start at around 00:08:833 and the offset is timed at 00:14:633. You should start by adjusting the offset to start sometime before the spinner at the beginning of the map. There are also no timing points to indicate when the song speeds up and slows down throughout the map. You should also include adding a primary timing point on the first slider at 00:09:699 and then shorten and extend the sliders to precisly end on a given beat in the song while adjusting the speed in the timing panel (also don't use a high beat snap divisor as this will only make it more frustrating to map when you can easily put it to 1/2 or 1/3 and then change the speed of the sliders and circles afterwards as you go).

Since you are also mapping an easier difficulty, I would recommend using a cs (circle size) that isn't greater than 4 throughout the mapping process. The cs size doesnt fit the tempo of the map. On points 00:21:566, 00:21:699, 00:21:966, 00:23:299, 00:23:433, 00:24:899 and 00:25:033 should all be converted to a smaller slider to give it a more timed feel to the beat rather than trying to get the exact amount of circles in for the vocals of the song, and at 00:28:333, you need to move that circle to 00:28:233 if you are to keep it there, otherwise i would recommend making the 3 circles at points 00:27:833, 00:28:033 and 00:28:333 into a reversing slider after moving the latter circle 1 tick sooner to point 00:28:233. The circle after that at point 00:28:633 is extra and unneeded in the map/song. The stream of circles from point 00:34:633 to 00:35:166 is excessive, though i understand you were trying to make it fit with the music in the song. Try making that into a small reversing slider as well so that when it comes to playing the map people are less likely to sliderbreak or miss. Lastly, make sure that you are not setting a new combo for every circle throughout the map and that you are not making unusual patterns between circles and sliders.

People enjoy maps that are easy to follow and consistent, not crazy and all over the place. think of "Flowing" as you map your circles and sliders, because the last thing someone wants to play is a map that is straining on the hand and off-beat. It will take time and patience, but consistency is key to making good beatmaps! I hope this info helps-