forum

Does anybody actually use the countdown thing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
badmoxx
I'm talking about the option in the Design section of the song setup, I have maybe seen it in one or two maps but that's it, is there any reason for not using it or is it more like there isn't reason to use it at all? I imagine maps with a very early offset or that are silent before a loud first note would theoretically benefit from the countdown, especially since it can be customized.
Cyan Cookie
It's just an option that works on some songs and/or if the map starts with high intensity
xenal
No, there is no reasons why in modern mapping someone would use it. Modders are more likely to just ask you to turn it off because it's more annoying than anything else, on top of hiding part of the screen with a large "GO" drawn on top of the playfield covering the first few circles if they are in the middle. It's more a legacy from old inis days.
Endaris
There is no reason to not use it if your map actually starts with the first sound you can hear. (basically what Cyan Cookie already wrote)

While the default sound is not the best I believe that many maps would actually profit from a custom countdown in the beatmap skin that is tailored to the song in terms of pitch / character.
It goes without saying that on most modern maps the associated sprites SHOULD be replaced with something more suitable.

As for the reason why people don't do it:
Probably lack of knowledge about beatmap skinning, skinning in general, lack of expertise in image/audio editing.
Topic Starter
badmoxx

xenal wrote:

No, there is no reasons why in modern mapping someone would use it. Modders are more likely to just ask you to turn it off because it's more annoying than anything else

I imagined it'd be more of an annoyance than anything else in most maps, probably there are alternatives ways to deal with the things I mentioned, if I recall correctly osu! puts a 3 second wait time in early offset maps anyway.

Endaris wrote:

While the default sound is not the best I believe that many maps would actually profit from a custom countdown in the beatmap skin that is tailored to the song in terms of pitch / character.

That's part of why I asked in the first place, I still think it could be a great styling choice for people used to storyboarding/skinning, it's an option in the Design section after all, and it could be nice to see it being used correctly (in a way that doesn't interfere with gameplay and is visually appealing while in theme with the song).