forum

First time mapping, looking for feedback

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nefaell
Hello,

I am currently 1 minute into my first mapping and I would really like some feedback before progressing any further. I want to be sure I'm not forgetting something important or making critical mistakes.

Thank you very much for your time!

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1066086#osu/2232298
cagmcpe
Your map is good bro, but one suggestion try not to make the combo higher than 10, this makes the map harder to read, I'm not qualified to go in-depth on your map. and try learning some basic music theory so you can improve your map rhythm choice. You had potential, keep up the good work.
Topic Starter
Nefaell
Thanks! Yes, not making any long stream is also what I had in mind for this difficulty at least, and learning about basic music theory is actually a pretty good idea. Do you have any idea of where I could get started?
lewski
Don't worry about making mistakes or not knowing important stuff, no one makes a good map as their first one. Don't let that get you down, though, just keep mapping and focus on how you can best represent the song: Are some sounds stronger than others? Which instruments do you want to represent the most? Are there any repeating patterns of sounds in the song? How do the pitches of different sounds relate to each other? How can you represent different timbres?

Those are just a few things I think about, but it all just comes down to thinking about what's happening in the song and representing that in your map. Try different kinds of things and see what's easier or harder to play, what feels right for different things in the song, and so on. Map all kinds of songs, and don't get too attached to one map. And most importantly, have fun mapping.

cagmcpe wrote:

try not to make the combo higher than 10, this makes the map harder to read

It really doesn't. Your combos just need to reflect patterns in the map and/or song.
Topic Starter
Nefaell
You make a lot of good points, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you very much!
cagmcpe

lewski wrote:

Don't worry about making mistakes or not knowing important stuff, no one makes a good map as their first one. Don't let that get you down, though, just keep mapping and focus on how you can best represent the song: Are some sounds stronger than others? Which instruments do you want to represent the most? Are there any repeating patterns of sounds in the song? How do the pitches of different sounds relate to each other? How can you represent different timbres?

Those are just a few things I think about, but it all just comes down to thinking about what's happening in the song and representing that in your map. Try different kinds of things and see what's easier or harder to play, what feels right for different things in the song, and so on. Map all kinds of songs, and don't get too attached to one map. And most importantly, have fun mapping.

cagmcpe wrote:

try not to make the combo higher than 10, this makes the map harder to read

It really doesn't. Your combos just need to reflect patterns in the map and/or song.

yea, your right.. yea dude just map a song then a map another then repeat. improvements comes along.