forum

Better extraction function

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
akstylish
It seems like osu can extract songs by itself only when it's not in a subfolder(group). Am I doing something wrong? I'd like to unzip the packs to subfolders and let osu extract the songs. Better yet, how about osu do all the job just by putting unzipped packs into song folders?

Sorry if this has been suggested or already implemented.
Echo
When you download a map (.osz, but IE renames to .zip), just drag and drop this onto osu (either the icon or the game window).

http://pe.ppy.sh/beatmap-import.png
Topic Starter
akstylish
Oh, that's not what I meant. I only download packs(too lazy to donwload individual beatmaps :p), and I'd like to sort them by pack names. Obviously drag&dropping the pack itself doesn't work, so I have to unzip the pack manually. But even then osu doesn't recognize the zipped songs inside the pack folder, so I have to take them out of the subfolder, let osu extract them then put them back into the subfolder.

Is my explanation a bit clearer now?
Echo
In that case, just hit F5 after you finish extracting the pack.
peppy
This was actually not a problem with my implementation, but packs were kinda made without consulting me first... which meant they are rar'd and not in the format I wish them to be. Unfortunately due to licensing issues I can't unrar files, which is the root of the problem.

As for extracting songs in subfolders: I can *maybe* add this as a check when you hit F5, but it won't be an automatic thing. Checking each subfolder takes a fair amount of disk IO which I would like to avoid if possible. Youre best bet if this really annoys you is to use winrar and "extract each archive to its own folder", then hit f5 in osu! to read the new maps.
Gemi

peppy wrote:

As for extracting songs in subfolders: I can *maybe* add this as a check when you hit F5, but it won't be an automatic thing. Checking each subfolder takes a fair amount of disk IO which I would like to avoid if possible.
I would definitely like to see extraction of zips/whatever in subfolders, since I keep my songs organized in subfolders and now it takes extra steps to first put them in the music folder, have the game extract them, then move them to the subfolders and then reopen the game. And most likely I'm not the only one to do this, so it's likely worth adding in.
Topic Starter
akstylish

Gemi wrote:

I would definitely like to see extraction of zips/whatever in subfolders, since I keep my songs organized in subfolders and now it takes extra steps to first put them in the music folder, have the game extract them, then move them to the subfolders and then reopen the game. And most likely I'm not the only one to do this, so it's likely worth adding in.
Because we're used to another certain rhythm game...;)
adamskii_uk

Gemi wrote:

Agreed. :)

I was going to request this a while back but I had already requested for other features, and I didn't want to appear too greedy by asking for too many features at the same time. :P :lol:
Gemi

akstylish wrote:

Gemi wrote:

Because we're used to another certain rhythm game...;)
Not really. I originally had all songs in one folder and thought is was nice, but then I realised that when I don't have time to play new maps immediately I need some easy way to see which songs are new, so I've been placing all song packs after that to a folder of their own to see the newest songs separated. All older songs are in just one huge "unsorted" folder since I've played through the fun songs of the older packs earlier and I no more need to have them separated.

(Yes, I made this post just to say that I'm not requesting features just "because it's in rhythm game XYZ" but because it's genuinely a good idea for osu specifically.)