forum

Return to Roots (awp game)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
awp
hi I'm making a video game that is very similar to Mega Man

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=94561320

If you have steam please check out the Greenlight page for me or tell your friends who like Mega Man about it

Download is over here http://beardedpixel.net/rtr/download.php

Yeah the graphics are a bit lacking, so if you know or are a good sprite artist who is looking for something to do hit me up, otherwise I'll just polish them myself

Here's a trailer video:

Azure_Kite
Looks interesting. But why a pizza slice?
tyrael6192
pizzor

why am i laughing so much lmao

good job
Topic Starter
awp

Azure_Kite wrote:

Looks interesting. But why a pizza slice?
it is relevant to the story (which is completely missing from the demo), and he is Armcannon's mascot
LuigiHann
I can probably help with sprites

Maybe
foulcoon
I voted Yes on it but it says you still have 0% of the necessary approval rating or whatever lol
bomber34
Wow :D looks great ^^
looking forward for this :3
HakuNoKaemi
Jump'n'Shoot game?

Expand it, like adding a Charged Shot or some other similar things
rust45
I played it, it was pretty fun. But some of the enemy placement felt really cheap. And I tried getting that red orb in the level but the jumps we're really freaking hard. And then the boss had he's needle attack from the air, and from what could tell, you had to run to the other side of the screen to avoid it. But he did it twice on me and I didn't have enough time to tell what he was doing and to be able to get to the other side at the same time.

Also, lol to the people on steam calling it a megaman ripoff.
Topic Starter
awp

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

Jump'n'Shoot game?

Expand it, like adding a Charged Shot or some other similar things
Later levels mix up the core mechanics (friction, gravity, moving platforms etc). I was giving consideration to adding "perks" once a particular upgrade type was maxed out, but currently don't have any plans to implement it

rust45 wrote:

And I tried getting that red orb in the level but the jumps we're really freaking hard. And then the boss had he's needle attack from the air, and from what could tell, you had to run to the other side of the screen to avoid it. But he did it twice on me and I didn't have enough time to tell what he was doing and to be able to get to the other side at the same time.
the red orbs are supposed to be either hard to get or hard to find (depending on the level). The first boss' aerial attacks need tweaking - they're dodge-able, but there's only a small window to do so which is a bit demanding for the first boss
Mercurial
Interesting, voted up.
rust45
Another thing, you should probably try to think of a different death animation, cause you'll probably get even more "Megaman Ripoff" hate with an explosion like that.

Also, I'm thinking of trying to help advertise this for you. I could just play a runthrough of the demo on my youtube and link to the greenlight page and perhaps the demo as well in the description. Would you be fine with that to try to raise awareness of the game?
Topic Starter
awp

rust45 wrote:

Another thing, you should probably try to think of a different death animation, cause you'll probably get even more "Megaman Ripoff" hate with an explosion like that.

Also, I'm thinking of trying to help advertise this for you. I could just play a runthrough of the demo on my youtube and link to the greenlight page and perhaps the demo as well in the description. Would you be fine with that to try to raise awareness of the game?
You've got a good point regarding the death animation. I'll try a few things, possibly physics-based, because that's always fun.

Regarding a playthrough of the demo, let me tinker with a few more things (I've been upgrading a few bits of the engine) and put up a patch first.
Topic Starter
awp
okay I updated the game today

but you have to re-download the entire thing instead of just patching it because the old installer was a piece of shit
rust45
Well, I actually managed to defeat Brohawk this time, so I was able to get to the cave stage. I have just a few things to say about that stage.

- The spikes seem to blend in too much with the floor and ceiling, after I was caught off guard I noticed them just fine, but they are hard to see when you first do the level.
- Twice I had a mini mushroom thing drop an extra life on me, perhaps it would be wise to make them unable to drop high value things.

Also, sometimes in the second stage I would have an enemy drop what looked like a very glowly thing, and it would give an icon below for health for a short period, I had no idea what this was doing to me. (Edit: Just read the Version 1.01 update. But it would be nice that the timer graphic would have some kind of icon to tell you what you had, cause I grabbed one before I even saw what it was, and I couldn't tell what it was doing)

And, I love the upgrade system, I don't know how it's gonna work in the full game, but I already love the concept.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I think the bosses should have less invincibility frames, they seem to take too long to kill because of how much they're invincible. And I'll start working on that vid once I play through the demo more, I want to be able to talk about a bunch of things so people won't just see it as a megaman ripoff.

EDIT2:
Topic Starter
awp

rust45 wrote:

EDIT2:
Intentional. Before you were able to shoot upward, that was designed to allow you to go in one side and hop out the other. If it had a blocking effect I'd likely put it in the foreground in front of the water.

I could try tweaking the cooldown timer graphics to show the emblem on the medallion instead of just the coloured circle on the medallion. If you see the medallions beforehand you can get the gist of what they do just by the colour, but I hadn't considered the "first-time effect". NOTED!

Boss invulnerability cooldowns are intended to be a second each. Generally, if it's lower they just die in a matter of seconds, especially once you upgrade your weapon (or play on Easy). I suppose an alternative to this would be to cut the cooldown by, say, 67% and double the boss HP. That would open things up a bit more, but what I want to avoid is straight-tanking bosses. With the one-second cooldown it works more along the lines of "take a quick shot, then go on the defensive and wait for the next opening" sort of approach, which is how I want it to work.
Topic Starter
awp
Goofing around with customized enemy death effects

Elisha_old
Up voted ... Looks awesome. :D
theowest
I like your game. Still working on it?
Topic Starter
awp
in the past two weeks it has slowed to a near-halt (MAGfest, new job, partying, illness)

I was just thinkin' 'bout getting back to work on it but went naaaaah I'll do that tomorrow

I've found some good "level design music" recently so I plan to use that to full effect
Azure_Kite
I love motivational music, especially if it inspires me to work on something. This looks great already, so best of luck with it all, awp!
Quaraezha
Currently in school, haven't played it yet.
How long does it usually take to beat the game?
Topic Starter
awp
It is not done yet, but speed runs can be done in probably 40 minutes