forum

osu! Release (20120827)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Today's update fixes most of the bugs which have been reported since the last release a couple of weeks ago, but doesn't bring much else to the table. Lots of bug fixes!

Unfortunately I made a couple of mistakes with this update, which I will explain here:

1. I changed a piece of the protocol to allow for more mods to be added in the future, but overlooked one particular communication sent to bancho when making multiplayer games. For this reason, I had to force an update for all clients, meaning you will not be able to connect at all until you update. Apologies for this.
  2. I accidentally toggled on a setting I have had implemented for quite a while which displays map backgrounds when they are deleted locally. This was part of the osz2 update testing code and I forgot to disable it before making this build. As a result, anyone who has altered their map files is likely fuming right now about how they are going to quit, never play again, hunt me down and take out my family.

This seems like a good opportunity to see the overall reaction to bringing something back which should have never been removed in the first place. Firstly, I am surprised to see exactly how many of you actually delete the files, and disappointed in a way. I am even more disappointed to see that people aren't making use of the Fun Spoiler settings, which I hoped would allow a mutual agreement on how the game is played. I'd be highly interested to hear your opinions on why the fun spoiler adjustments (which allow dimming the background up to 90%) is not a viable way forward.

I will be removing this new "feature" next patch, but will leave it up for a bit just to see what people form both sides have to say about this, so we can figure out how to move forth into an ecosystem where you won't actually be able to access these files anymore. I'd really like to avoid adding a disable for backgrounds altogether, if possible.
This thread will remain open until the first post which rages at the temporary change explained above. I hope we can have some adamant conversation before this happens (and shame on the person to end this :P).
Ohrami

peppy wrote:

I'd be highly interested to hear your opinions on why the fun spoiler adjustments (which allow dimming the background up to 90%) is not a viable way forward.
Because you have to play the song once and you only get 90% background dim

That's all

This is pretty much the opinion of all high-level players
BrokenArrow

peppy wrote:

As a result, anyone who has altered their map files is likely fuming right now about how they are going to quit, never play again, hunt me down and take out my family.
I love you.
CerZe
I think maybe allow for more dim before having to complete the map. Especially since I can't beat many maps the first time around T~T.
ninja: Actually, many times I can't pass a map at all, and then I'm never able to fully dim.
Liut
I'm fine with having a forced bg but the replacement bg we have now sux...that's all.
Just let us update all the maps in order to have a proper bg , i'm not going to download all the maps again.
Expect this it's all fine ^^ good work
Lilabloom
i find it overall a good idea to disable background removal.. but would suggest to enforce a background on each map then (which would include those maps who doesnt even have a background).

another thing, some maps has quite abit "lame" skins, which is only a bother in many ways. at most it would make people "delete" them. add a option to disable that (if possible)..

else.. good update, dont care about vid / wallpaper. so gj :)

EDIT : just saw you can disable skin, but alteast make us possible to do that from start, instead of ruining the joy of playing a map <.<
iHateFatPeople_old

peppy wrote:

Firstly, I am surprised to see exactly how many of you actually delete the files, and disappointed in a way.
As if this wasn't obvious already. Either way, you'll seal your fate depending on which actions you take.
ryza

Kyou-kun wrote:

Because you have to play the song once and you only get 90% background dim

That's all
This right here.

It's a waste of time to play through it once. Have you ever yourself tried to play mods on an insane with a background? It's just outright distracting.

I'd rather get to playing the game in a way that's enjoyable for me right off, rather than wasting time either sitting there with no fail + dt or playing through it once and doing terribly.

I don't think allowing this harms the community at all - it makes more players happy, and the players who DO like to keep all of this stuff can very well do so.

I know the funspoiler settings are your compromise with the playerbase, and a big change from your previous stance, but frankly, it's not good enough. If you take a look at most other music games, they keep the playfield clear and easy to read. Most note tracks are kept black - and for good reason. It's not fun for an experienced player to miss because their eyes ended up focusing on something else in the middle of a song, or because they couldn't see well enough, or any other various reasons.

Also, if you ever do implement this feature again in the future, add an option to re-download the original background - the low resolution hurts my eyes.

That's all I'd really like to say. I understand your position on this, but I just think it's plain wrong.
Ohrami

Silynn wrote:

It's not fun for an experienced player to miss because their eyes ended up focusing on something else in the middle of a song, or because they couldn't see well enough, or any other various reasons.
Emphasis on this sentence
Touche
95~100% dimmed > 90% dimmed

Also, some backgrounds only can dim to 50, idk why
rickyboi
this is bullshit.
Topic Starter
peppy

rickyboi wrote:

this is bullshit.
I was hoping we could reach the two page mark with this thread, but oh well :lol:.

I will reply to those that stated their opinions thus far:

T o u c h e wrote:

95~100% dimmed > 90% dimmed
Also, some backgrounds only can dim to 50, idk why
To get above 50% dim you have to play the map once.

Silynn wrote:

It's a waste of time to play through it once. Have you ever yourself tried to play mods on an insane with a background? It's just outright distracting.
I don't find it a distraction, personally. But this is definitely a per-person thing.

Silynn wrote:

I know the funspoiler settings are your compromise with the playerbase, and a big change from your previous stance, but frankly, it's not good enough. If you take a look at most other music games, they keep the playfield clear and easy to read. Most note tracks are kept black - and for good reason. It's not fun for an experienced player to miss because their eyes ended up focusing on something else in the middle of a song, or because they couldn't see well enough, or any other various reasons.
There are many exceptions to this in arcade rhythm games, but in most cases you are correct. That said, I don't believe a non-moving background dimmed to 90% can cause a measurable distraction against highly contrasting Hit Objects. And I realise the last sentence was immediately dismissed by most of you that disagree; that's fine and expected.

If the current compromise is not good enough, then it needs further work. As long as people are deleting backgrounds, there is going to be conflict, because in the near future the ability to do that will not be there (for the best or worst). No, this is not because I want to wage war against a segment of the osu! player base, but because I want to fix the file format, which is currently a mess, and is holding osu! back in many ways.

Silynn wrote:

Also, if you ever do implement this feature again in the future, add an option to re-download the original background - the low resolution hurts my eyes.
There's a reason it wasn't supposed to be public yet :P.