forum

Passive hit sounds

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rubiha
What is the difference between active and passive HS. What are passive HS? On my map, there are some sounds that have a delay before the peak of more than 5ms. For example, soft-hitclap10. But if you cut them, they lose their original sound and in fact become unnecessary HS. I don't really want to kill the aesthetics of sounds. I hope this can be neglected. May I state that such a HS is a passive HS? Аnd therefore the rule "Active hit sounds cannot have a delay more than 5 milliseconds" does not apply to my sound? Due to some formality, I would not want to drag this sound into the storyboard. So what is passive HS?

map link - https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/434681#osu/984714
Endaris
The ranking criteria has a glossary part for each section.
Active hit sounds: Hit sounds that reach their peak impact exactly when they are clicked.
Passive hit sounds: Hit sounds that are not designed to match a player's exact clicking, such as ambient sounds.

That means each hitsound on a note that corresponds on a click cannot have a delay. Hitsounds on sliderends or spinners may have a delay as you don't click actively to trigger the hitsounds.
Topic Starter
Rubiha
"- Active hit sounds must use the `.wav` or `.ogg` file formats. `.ogg` files must use a bit rate of 128kbps or higher. `.mp3` files have slight delays, and therefore are reserved only for longer passive hit sounds, such as ambient noises.
- Applause files and other passive hit sounds must use the `.mp3` or `.ogg` file formats. Applause files usually have long durations and `.wav` files are unnecessarily large in comparison." by pishifat. What is ambient noises? Its a passive HS? applause combobreak count1s gos readys sectionfail sectionpass its a passive HS?
Endaris
I'm not sure about count1s as these should definitely be exactly on time but sectionfail, sectionpass and applause are definitive examples of ambient noises.
As I mentioned earlier, it is also imaginable to use delayed sounds on spinners or sliderends however the sound should very clearly not identify as a hitsound in the classical sense as this would only confuse the player in regards to the timing they hit.
pishifat
"hitsounds" are sounds that are played when clicking an object. applause, countdown, pause-loop, etc aren't considered hitsounds, and therefore aren't affected by this rule.

an example of an "ambient noise" hitsound is the normal-hitfinish2 on https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/47710#osu/178966 at 00:41:999 -