forum

Brief Guide to Becoming an osu!catch Beatmap Nominator

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ascendance

Introduction

Hey guys!

I've been wanting to make this post for a while but never really had time to do it. Now that the numbers in the BNG are pretty low and I see a good number of people aspiring to be a Beatmap Nominator, I figured there's no better time to write this than now.

A bit about me: I'm currently a member of the osu!catch Nomination Assessment Team, and have been for about 5 months now. Before that, I've been a Beatmap Nominator and just a regular user on and off for about 3 years. I've got experience on both sides of the coin concerning evaluations, and as someone who now approves and rejects new aspiring BNs, I'd like to write this to give users a checklist of things to look out for in their own mods as well as what we're looking for as members of the NAT.

Important Links

• CtB Modding Manual - "How to mod CtB" by JBHyperion
    Basically the Bible for modding osu!catch maps. Even though it was made 3 years ago, this post has a wealth of information that basically every aspiring Beatmap Nominator should be aware of when looking to advance.

osu!catch Modding & Mapping Hub Discord Server by Ascendance
    The largest congregation of osu!catch modders and mappers out there. The server features several places to ask questions, promote beatmaps, and integrate more into the community that you'll be serving as a Beatmap Nominator.

Mapset Verifier by Naxess
    A recent program created by NAT member Naxess that scans the mapset and folder for blatantly unrankable issues. This should not be used as a replacement for modding a beatmap, but rather as a failsafe to catch anything that may have slipped by.

General Ranking Criteria & osu!catch Ranking Criteria
    The rules of creating a rankable beatmap. As a modder, your entry into the Beatmap Nominators relies heavily on your knowledge of the Ranking Criteria.

Modding and Mapping Code of Conduct by JBHyperion
    The CoC is an outline of how you should behave in the modding and mapping ecosystem. It's incredibly important to remember that being a Beatmap Nominator also means that you should be a good example to the community as an elevated user, and that your acceptance into the BNG relies in part on your ability to be that example.

Beatmap Nominator Rules
    I mean this is literally what it says it is. As a Beatmap Nominator, you're held responsible for the knowledge of all information in this article. Some of this information is even quizzed on the exam, so it's important that you know it!

Traits of an Aspiring Beatmap Nominator

When becoming a Beatmap Nominator, a big problem is that some people just don't know what to look out for. Below, I'll be outlining a few things that I look for in applicants. This might not be the case for all NAT members, but it should give a good idea of where and how you can improve.

1. Being able to mod lower difficulties (Cup / Salad / Platter) just as well as higher ones (Rain / Overdose)
    We get it. Modding low difficulties is boring, tedious, and often times it's hard to find anything that isn't nitpicky. However, being able to mod low difficulties just as well as higher ones is critical to your success in the Beatmap Nominators. Mistakes are found more often than not in lower difficulties simply due to the amount of restrictions and rules on them.
  2. Appropriate forum conduct and off-platform conduct
    One of the biggest internal conflicts we have is "Hey, this person said this on Twitter, should we count this against them?" And often times in response, we see "It's off-platform, there's not much we can do." However, I'm here to put this to rest. Your off-platform conduct, especially as a Beatmap Nominator is taken into account when confronted with serious behavioral problems or similarly inappropriate content. As long as you advertise yourself as "X from osu!" anywhere on there, you can get in trouble for it. Similarly, on forums and beatmap discussions, the Code of Conduct applies everywhere. Constantly being warned and silenced could lead to your rejection from the Beatmap Nominators.
  3. Proficiency in finding unrankable issues that can't be detected by programs
    Things like timing and metadata can't be detected by something like Mapset Verifier or Modding Assistant, so it's up to you to confirm the validity of both issues. When it comes to these skillsets, people who can accurately find metadata like Noffy or provide precise timing like Hareimu can be invaluable when looking for a second opinion. However, it's important to at least learn the basics of timing and metadata yourself to avoid disqualifications for these reasons as a BN.
  4. Capable of modding the mapset as a whole as well as individual difficulties
    One of the most important words in catch is "spread" and being able to identify key issues with spread is paramount to your success in the Beatmap Nominators. Many modders tend to not cross-check between difficulties to identify potential spread issues which could lead to potential disqualifications should the issues be severe enough. Basically, you should be checking for overarching issues within the mapset (rhythm, difficulty settings, etc) as well as modding individual difficulties as normal.
  5. Being able to explain your points and give examples on how to fix them
    One of the most important things we look for in applicants is their ability to explain the reasoning behind their points and give potential fixes to these problems. As a modder, it is imperative that when you feel something is a problem, you explain it thoroughly and ensure that the mapper understands the intent behind why it's a problem.
  6. BE ACTIVE
    DON'T JOIN BN IF YOU'RE JUST GOING TO DIE AFTER 2 WEEKS. The requirements are low and you have an incredibly handy mod score calculator on the BN website so please use it to check in advance how many mods you need per 30 days.
  7. Don't write essays
    With the introduction of modding v2, things have become a much more streamlined process of individual and concise points rather than long walls of text. If your mods are an eyesore or a headache to read, there's probably a little too much there. If you have a lot to say, try splitting it up into separate points.
  8. Don't force your opinions on mappers
    It really sucks seeing applicants try to shove their own style down a mapper's throat. Your job is to help promote quality content to the ranked category as a Beatmap Nominator, not recreate someone's map in your own image. You might be able to help solve something through your experience as a mapper, but in most scenarios, you should be looking to suggest things that correlate with the mapper's own image of their map.

Traits of a Beatmap Nominator

As a Beatmap Nominator, your experience on osu! will definitely change. People will begin messaging you out of the blue for mods, icons, and other various forms of help. Especially if you're new to the BNG, you'll likely have a hard time in the first few months which will cause you to burn out and eventually the experience won't be as enjoyable. Below, I'll outline a few things you can do to ensure that your BN experience stays manageable and enjoyable.

1. Learning how to say no
    One of the most requested things on this guide, learning how to simply say no to checking or modding a map is important to the longevity of your career as a BN. Fresh into the BNG, we get that you want to help as many people as possible, however, this often becomes unmanageable and leads to heavy burnout, sometimes even within the first month of becoming a BN.
  2. Organizing yourself
    Organizing your modding activity (and nominating activity!) can help make life a lot easier as a BN. Not only does it help you keep track of what you've done or need to do, it also provides a way to point out mistakes that you've made in the past on certain maps (unrankables missed, wrong metadata, etc) and an indicator of what you could improve on moving forward. JBHyperion's CtB Modding Manual provides multiple organization examples.
  3. Rechecking maps (over and over and over again)
    The amount of times I've seen BNs bubble, the bubble gets auto popped for an update and then rebubbled without a new check is astonishing. There are even times when a random AIMod error sneaks in and that can create several problems when it comes to BN Evaluations. Always recheck, check AIMod, check mapset verifier, and just play through all difficulties to ensure there's nothing you missed the first 20 times around. Constantly be covering for yourself in terms of spotting unrankables.
  4. Dealing with situations you may be unsure about
    There will definitely come some times where you're unsure about certain elements of a map, whether it be something that's outside of your comfort zone or maybe even outside of your playing range. The most important thing in these cases is to learn when to walk away. Even if you love the rest of the map, if you and a mapper can't find an agreement on something, don't force yourself to continue the nomination process. It also helps substantially to get more opinions on things that you have trouble playing or understanding to see if maybe there's more support for it. If you decide to leave, make sure you communicate this to the mapper. A little communication goes a long way.
  5. Be on your best behavior on all platforms
    Anywhere where you advertise yourself as "x from osu!", you'll be held accountable for the way you present yourself. While you aren't a staff member, you are an elevated user and are frequently in the spotlight when it comes to behavior when compared to that of an average user. Stay within the boundaries of osu!'s Community Rules and the Code of Conduct at all times!

Conclusion

I'll likely write more as I think of more things to write. This should give a pretty good indicator of what we're looking for out of new BNs and some tips for those who manage to get in. I'd be happy to answer any comments, questions, and concerns as this thread stays up so that things can be clarified or maybe even more things can be added to the main post. If anything is unclear or could be worded better, please let me know!
OnosakiHito
I need to steal this for taiko.
Topic Starter
Ascendance

OnosakiHito wrote:

I need to steal this for taiko.

hopefully it helps those guys too :D
mantasu
Today my first std BN application got rejected but this guide will definitely help me improve. Even though it is meant for CTB it's still useful for other modes.
Thanks
Topic Starter
Ascendance

seselis1 wrote:

Today my first std BN application got rejected but this guide will definitely help me improve. Even though it is meant for CTB it's still useful for other modes.
Thanks

Glad I could help :D
hypercyte
A lot of this can apply to aspiring bns for other modes too!

Nice guide <3
Topic Starter
Ascendance

hypercyte wrote:

A lot of this can apply to aspiring bns for other modes too!

Nice guide <3

thanks a lot <3
mousepascals
ooo
Pennek
this seems useful for basically any mode