forum

Question regarding Map Packs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nerfs
Not to be confused with https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmaps/packs

There are some mapsets that are structured like map packs, which have multiple songs in a single mapset. Now some of these mapsets have a difficulty named "Marathon" or something similar, and it tells you to delete that specific diff. Also, this diff is empty: no hitobjects, no audio.

Why do mappers who create packs do this? I know that creating a mapset like this requires a hacky approach, but what does the empty marathon diff do? (Asking since I'm trying to make a map pack of my own)
lewski
As far as I know, there's no reason to have a marathon diff. There's no need for a hacky approach either; you can just make one mp3 with all the songs and map a different part of it in each diff. Things may have been different in the past, though (for example iirc at some point you could upload a larger .osz if you had a diff called Marathon)
Topic Starter
nerfs
Oh, I see. Thanks!

Making a large mp3 with all the songs in the pack doesn't seem to break anything either, since the site and the client only shows the relevant drain time and BPM.

It might make timeline navigation in the editor slightly harder, but at least I don't have to mess with .osu files anymore. Will definitely use this format instead.
Endaris
There used to be a limitation in filesize for beatmaps up to 30MB.
However if you uploaded your set with only a single difficulty called "Marathon" you could bypass this filesize and upload beatmaps up to 100MB and thus get long mp3 at a decent audio quality uploaded in the first place.
After that it was apparently possible to add more difficulties as long as the Marathon diff was kept.
These filesize limits were partially lifted with regards to storyboards but I don't know exactly for what the server checks now when you upload a beatmap.