forum

Any tips for a new mapper?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AndaRucz
My first map is currently in the making and I had no idea whether i'm doing fine or watching a train crash in slow motion. Do you experienced mappers have any tips for someone who has just begun mapping? What are some things that beginning mappers do wrong?

The next paragraph is a question more directed to me personally.

My first map is one with a 5.5-star difficulty. I don't know if i'm shooting too high for a goal making a map with such a difficulty level. Should I put the map i'm working on temporarily on hold and work on something with lower standards till I am experienced enough to create a decent map with that level of difficulty? I'd also like to note that my map follows the majority of the vocals, is this bland? What are some tips on making maps that follow the vocals intersting and not lack luster?

This is my first post on the forums. I apologize if it's a little all over the place. Thank you!
lewski

AndaRucz wrote:

What are some things that beginning mappers do wrong?

In terms of actual mapping? Everything. No one's first maps are even close to decent, because they don't know how to make a decent map yet. The good news is that when you're just starting out, you improve a ton with every map you make, which leads us to a specific thing I've seen loads of new mappers do wrong: getting stuck on one map. After you complete your first map, don't get mods or anything like that, just move on. Your next map will be way better than the first, no matter how many mods you get on the first one. You'll get noticeably better in no time at all.

AndaRucz wrote:

Should I put the map i'm working on temporarily on hold and work on something with lower standards till I am experienced enough to create a decent map with that level of difficulty?

Nah, just keep mapping, it's valuable experience. However, making maps of a level you can play somewhat comfortably is a good idea at first because you can test them to see if they play how you want them to. When you're more experienced, it'll be easier to tell how something plays without actually playing it.

AndaRucz wrote:

I'd also like to note that my map follows the majority of the vocals, is this bland? What are some tips on making maps that follow the vocals intersting and not lack luster?

Focusing on the vocals is completely fine; it's how I (and a lot of other people) prefer to map, too. However, you'll run into problems if you ignore everything except vocals. Not mapping any of the other instruments when there are no vocals and making really long sliders that skip over a lot of stuff and/or cause an unfitting dip in intensity are two common mistakes people make when using this approach. Instead, it's good to strike a balance between vocals and instruments: even if you mostly focus on vocals, switch to another instrument if that instrument suddenly does something more interesting (e.g. a drumroll) or if only following vocals would be too boring (e.g. a syllable is really drawn out).

tl;dr: just keep mapping and it'll be all right
xenal
lewski tl;dr :

AndaRucz wrote:

a train crash in slow motion.

and keep crashing it until it pass.
Yukanna
dont place a bunch of random slider nodes all over the place to create a slidershape. also, join mentorship and have high spirits. Be sure to find your top 3 inspiriations as well(in terms of mappers) and try to have a favorite mapper to look up to. :)