How do I make a beatmap

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BusteRalph
how does one make a beatmap
Your Good Self
So first of all, welcome to osu!

The answers to a lot of your questions can probably be found in the wiki, though some pages may be a bit outdated due to the recent redesign.

Making a beatmap is known as "beatmapping", often shortened to just "mapping". To get started, follow the steps in the wiki link here: https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Beatmapping

Once you're set up, you should read up on a couple of guides that experienced mappers have helpfully compiled. One of the stickied threads on this forum (General Questions) is the Mapping/Modding: Guide Compendium. You probably want to start with the Guide to Beatmapping for Absolute Beginners, which covers the basics. It gets a whole lot messier from there.

Making a beatmap is simple. Making a playable beatmap is less simple. Making a decent beatmap is harder still, and only the best creations are ranked/approved and given a public scoreboard. That is the end goal of most mappers - to see their beatmap be ranked and to see others enjoy their masterpiece.

I think I'm rambling too much compared to your initial question so I'm going to end my response here. GLHF!
Topic Starter
BusteRalph
Oh ok. Thank you for your help.
Polnareff
check out pishifat's videos but since you are very very new to the game i suggest you first learn to play the game itself since you won't be able to emphatize other players when mapping and that can lead to unplayable or very clunky beatmaps
Ayayano

Polnareff wrote:

check out pishifat's videos but since you are very very new to the game i suggest you first learn to play the game itself since you won't be able to emphatize other players when mapping and that can lead to unplayable or very clunky beatmaps

Pishifat is great! Watch him!
But I personally think that if you can grasp the concepts and ideas well enough you can make playable maps even if they are outside of your difficulty range. Even if you are new to the game, go ahead and try to map, it might make sense to start with lower diffs since you might have a better intuition on how they play but I think no difficulty is impossible.
Best of luck.
lewski
meh, pishi isn't that great, if you're just starting out you'll get a fat load of nothing out of watching his videos (except his timing and editor videos)

even after the very beginning, I'd argue that it's better to learn the rest yourself, since you'll form your own values instead of just taking someone else's mapping ideas at face value
Ayayano
Well Im not saying to blindly apply all of pishi’s concepts but still having some knowledge of said concepts can allow you to see what kinds of things might work when you experiment in the editor. Otherwise we will have everyone putting jumps randomly and ignoring everything that makes a map playable and fun. (And yes they will learn with trial and error but my point is they dont have to, someone else already did that trial and error and its OK to learn from that and apply those lessons from the get-go).
dennischan
pishifat's ideas are interesting and they are pretty concrete and clear ideas, easy for new people to grasp.
I don't think there's a problem for people to start mapping through watching pishi's videos since without any guide at all, mapping is very intimidating and hard to get started so people would just give up.

So I think pishi's videos ate pretty good to recommend to newbies
oofboy1234oof
you could get a audio file by getting a youtube link and copy the link into a youtube mp3 converter and it will turn a video into a audio file. to get a background just go to google and search for anything you like then click on the picture and then right click and press "save image as." this will turn the image into a file and simply just drag the files into osu!.

(sorry for bad spelling im a kid XD)
Zelzatter Zero

oofboy1234oof wrote:

(sorry for bad spelling im a kid XD)
Since you're a kid so I think you should know one thing, that what you're doing is necropost and it's highly discouraged.
Asphiee

BusteRalph wrote:

Oh ok. Thank you for your help.
After, getting a grasp on how to make a map its good to talk and ask some mappers in-game so you'll get some tips.

A guy approached me out of nowhere and asked me lotsa stuff and asks me for checks everytime and I think it really helped him out since he's been progressing quickly than those who are self-learning like the majority of us in this forum I guess. Having a mentor to guide you is lot faster since they'll share you their knowledge they've accumulated in their mapping "career?" I guess.

So, first try mapping some maps first then get a mapper whos willing to teach you some stuff.

Where to find those mappers?

1. In #modhelp channel
2. The MD guys here
3. Your favorite mappers

If they're busy, move on to another mapper.