forum

[Proposal] Increase .osz file size limit to 36MB

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PokemasterBrian
The reason why we could increase the file size limit might be influenced by a recent beatmap that was over 26MB in size according to the current RC: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/906786#osu/1892257

I am unsure about the rule because it was not mentioned in the current RC, but according to an article about file compression:

Osu! maps, according to the current ranking guidelines, must be under 10 MB, or 24 MB if the song has a video.

Also, from an article about beatmap submission:

Try to keep .osz files under 12 MB, or 26 MB if you include video/storyboard.

I am proposing an increase for the maximum file size limit to 36MB, pending feedback from staff and community.
dennischan
I am not aware of a hard file size limit in the osz currently. I've also checked the RC, albiet briefly, and could not find the rule that you mentioned which limited the file size to a maximum of 26MB. Please quote the relevant rule in the OP. This is because if the rule that you are proposing to change does not exist, then any further discussion makes no sense.
Topic Starter
PokemasterBrian

dennischan wrote:

I am not aware of a hard file size limit in the osz currently. I've also checked the RC, albiet briefly, and could not find the rule that you mentioned which limited the file size to a maximum of 26MB. Please quote the relevant rule in the OP. This is because if the rule that you are proposing to change does not exist, then any further discussion makes no sense.

Changed the OP to mention some articles that mention the file size limit.
Cynplytholowazy
The ranking criteria has no any rules nor guidelines that state the file size limit of the .osz. The one you stated is probably from a very old source of the RC, or a general recommendation of a beatmapset.

>according to an article about file compression
This forum is for Ranking Criteria proposal and amendment, not for others. For the corresponding article you mentioned, you should probably consult the article creator, or open a pull request in GitHub if it is a wiki entry.
Mayflower
-GN Junior is correct
pishifat
not related to ranking criteria exactly, but it'll be fixed with https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/2320