forum

[Taiko](halp plz i nub) Reading Streams

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Rdyjin]
'Sup.

Taiko's the main reason I enjoy osu! and I've been working pretty hard at improving at it, after I finally got tired of only being able to do non-taiko specific maps. I have the goal of eventually being able to at least handle Accepted maps for Taiko.

I've been messing around with my technique and even started following the TBT guide, and I have been improving, but there's still one thing that is just remaining to be a huge obstacle for me, and I just want to make sure I'm not doin' it wrong or anything like that which would make it harder for me to improve.

Getting into longer, faster streams, I have a huge difficulty reading it. It's not that apparent in really basic streams such as dkddkd but when I start doing, for example, Go My Way!! as suggested for practicing Taiko, when a long stream shows up my eyes will slowly drift from the right side of the map to the hit circle, and halfway through the stream I'm limiting myself to basically an artificial Flashlight mod. Everything just falls apart after that.

Am I reading notes in general wrong because my eyes are drifting? Or is this something that practicing faster/harder maps I'll eventually overcome and be able to handle?

I just want to make sure if I'm doing something horribly wrong I can change it rather than handicap myself by coming up with some complicated manner of getting around the issue.

Thanks.
darkmiz
Go My Way!! is bpm 180, so don't bother with that map, and start training from low bpm songs.
Your pattern reading speed will improve after much practice.
MMzz
There really isn't a way to "do streams wrong"

Just do whatever is comfortable to you while streaming and you will adjust naturally.

And do what the above post said. Lower BPM songs will give you a better understanding, I know it might not be fun but it's worth it for practice.
Mithos
Practice on slower songs, or just songs with lower approach rates. You will learn how to read the different patterns quickly this way, and then one day you will be like "Oh snap, I can do this pattern at 200+ BPM now!". Don't rush yourself and enjoy the ride. Taiko is a fun rhythm game, even if you cannot do SUPAREXTREME300BPMDEATH streams.
Saturnalize
Try this
Good for finger training and triplets, but worth a lot for training since it composed by many simple patterns. http://osu.ppy.sh/b/75183&m=1
And extra worth of reading notes, ofc! (And try Taiko Oni if you want to test your stream skills)