forum

"Too big" size screen/swindow for osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cirno-_old
In pro vids when they show their gear I noticed that many are using a small screen. I use a 24" LCD and Osu is in fullscreen. Sometimes I feel as if jumps are hard to notice and some streams are hard to track. I usually just play semi-casually, so I just shrug it off. But I was just curious if good players actually do play on smaller sizes.

What size is your Osu! ??
Remonwater
I play /w a 24" LCD in full screen 1920x1080 as well and am using full area /w my tablet
I don't have any trouble noticing jumps or streams- regardless of AR- but I do have trouble hitting the very bottom left/right and top left/right notes.

Just keep practicing and you'll get to use to any size/sensitivity/area; although u shouldn't force yourself to play with a certain style. Use whatever you feel comfortable with and enjoy
Aqo
You'll eventually get used to whatever screen size you're playing with and it will feel natural to play that way once your reading is suited for it; no size is better than another.

Most players play windowed because they have IRC running in the background, as well as other applications that you lurk in breaks during maps.
YayaBunWa

Aqo wrote:

You'll eventually get used to whatever screen size you're playing with and it will feel natural to play that way once your reading is suited for it; no size is better than another.
This.

Most players play windowed because they have IRC running in the background, as well as other applications that you lurk in breaks during maps.
Not sure about this though; I certainly don't have two screens setup, but I still use such programs and simply alt-tab to and fro.
lolcubes

Aqo wrote:

I actually play windowed because on my 27" screen I almost have to move my head to see corners of my screen. So yeah, if you think it's too big, try windowed. If you can't see everything in an instant, you should consider changing to a smaller playing area.
G0r
I need to clear this up before responding... It does take more hand movement to get around the screen with higher resolutions on Osu, right? I mean... everything gets larger, so it's not exactly changing the distances, but as far as your DPI is concerned, you're still moving further, I think. I think that this would be pretty important for deciding what resolution you want. Personally I use 800 by 600, because it always seemed to me that smaller was better in every way. I agree that it makes it easier to see what is happening.
thelewa

G0r wrote:

I need to clear this up before responding... It does take more hand movement to get around the screen with higher resolutions on Osu, right?
Usually people compensate for this by adjusting their sensitivity.

There is an advantage to playing with big windows / fullscreen, it helps with HR and HD+HR.
kriers

thelewa wrote:

G0r wrote:

I need to clear this up before responding... It does take more hand movement to get around the screen with higher resolutions on Osu, right?

There is an advantage to playing with big windows / fullscreen, it helps with HR and HD+HR.
Did you know, the better your aim, the bigger the circles appear?
CXu
800x600 windowed because, y'know, my computer sucks and lags at whatever else I put it on
kriers

CXu wrote:

800x600 windowed because, y'know, my computer sucks and lags at whatever else I put it on
And your aim is one of the best there is- proves my point, right?
Tanzklaue
smaller screen means less movement (for mouse) and worse aim (for mouse). I don't play on the smallest size, simply because it is too small and I can't see shit on that.
I have 1024x768 and I'm happy with that. maybe tablet players can use fullscreen better than small screens, but for mouse players, a window is preferable, atleast that's what I experienced.
thelewa

kriers wrote:

thelewa wrote:

Did you know, the better your aim, the bigger the circles appear?
THEY ALL APPEAR SMALL TO ME

HELP
Aqo

Tanzklaue wrote:

smaller screen means less movement (for mouse) and worse aim (for mouse).
No; This is relative to your sensitivity as was already mentioned earlier. If you lower or increase your window size, lower or increase your sensitivity along with it and the movement your hand does IRL will be exactly the same. Same thing for tablet areas. The screen size only affects your eye movement and unless you're using a huge monitor like lolcubes you can probably go with whatever.

If you want better aim, lower your sensitivity. If you want less movement, increase it. Usually the prior is much better because the few inches you're going to move your hand are going to be trivial either way and aim accuracy is much more important.

thelewa wrote:

THEY ALL APPEAR SMALL TO ME

Two hours of this and AR4 becomes intolerable :D

omg since when circles in osu were so big
Fai-Chii
640x360 windowed mode
Because My Netbook is lowspec and Easy to aim
Frizz
Talking about changing resolution means changing sensitivity as well...

Back when I was still using 800dpi, I need to change my sensitivity to 650dpi whenever I go from 1366x768 fullscreen to 1024x600 windowed. Ever since I started using 400dpi I never feel that I need to change my sensitivity, be it 1366x768 fullscreen or 1024x600 windowed. And for unknown reason I prefer using 1024x600 windowed nowadays.

btw I'm using 15.6" LED monitor.
hinamizawan
Try to play 1280x960 windowed, I use a 27" monitor but I guess it's better for you to stay around 22" and 24" monitors...
Topic Starter
cirno-_old
Well I use a tablet, not a mouse :P I don't think sensitivity is an issue with me. I'll try it today :)