forum

Edit someone else's beatmap.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AstralSeyyah
I found a beatmap which is unranked but a bit hard to play for me. I edited it a bit (editing is probably easier than creating a whole new beatmap). So I can play it now. But the question is can I upload it for other players to play? is it legal? or is it ethical?
Keiga
You can upload it but probably not rank it. People might also accuse you of stealing if you don't credit the original map.

It's legal though, since it's just a game.

Best way to figure out if it's ethical or not is to ask the original mapper for permission first.
JBHyperion
Uploading content from other users with minor modifications is not allowed under osu!'s Beatmap Submission Rules without the explicit permission of the original creator(s). Specifically, see point 3:

Do not plagiarise or attempt to steal the work of others. Do not also upload or use other people's work without their explicit permission (including, but not limited to, skins and guest difficulties).

Modifications include, but are not limited to: changing difficulty settings, playback speed, slider velocities, object placement and/or orientation, game mode conversion.

Whether modifications are considered major enough to not fall under the above plagiarism guidelines is at the Global Moderation Team's discretion, so if you have any questions, please contact a team member BEFORE uploading as your content may be removed and a silence issued.

EDIT: Moved to Beatmaps > Help > General Questions subforum.
Topic Starter
AstralSeyyah
Thanks for the answers. I should keep it for myself :D But it was fun I might be create some beatmaps in the future :)
OsuMagic360

AstralSeyyah wrote:

I found a beatmap which is unranked but a bit hard to play for me. I edited it a bit (editing is probably easier than creating a whole new beatmap). So I can play it now. But the question is can I upload it for other players to play? is it legal? or is it ethical?

You could also leave a mod for the map suggesting the changes and the mapper might change it.
LittleTiger38
I actually made that too and the mapper gave me permission but how can I upload it?