forum

Performance Points

posted
Total Posts
show more
JappyBabes
@Aqo You must realize that this isn't a potential skill rankings, it's a ranking based on your performances.

Also, airman isn't even on that spreadsheet.
nrii_old

JappyBabes wrote:

@Aqo You must realize that this isn't a potential skill rankings, it's a ranking based on your performances.

spreadsheet is flawed in general, i know of a few hard maps that will be top or near top on many top 100 players that arent on this list

edit: equally looking at tom94's tops, he has a hd+hr SS on a map that is 327 on this list, lower ranked than a hd+hr non SS of a map that is 409 on this list. the map weighting is lower, hes rank 1 on both, and his acc is higher on bulletproof, so why does the lower weighted map give more pp?
Tom69_old

nrii wrote:

JappyBabes wrote:

spreadsheet is flawed in general, i know of a few hard maps that will be top or near top on many top 100 players that arent on this list

edit: equally looking at tom94's tops, he has a hd+hr SS on a map that is 327 on this list, lower ranked than a hd+hr non SS of a map that is 409 on this list. the map weighting is lower, hes rank 1 on both, and his acc is higher on bulletproof, so why does the lower weighted map give more pp?
Afaik the "best performance" tab isn't ordered. I believe ppy once said something about that.
nrii_old

Tom94 wrote:

Afaik the "best performance" tab isn't ordered. I believe ppy once said something about that.
i've had friends play maps that are my top's and they also appear at the top of their list, it has to be ordered by something

i also had a marisa map on my top, then dropped 2 ranks on it and it moved down by 1 and then off. pretty sure it is ordered by pp.
lolcubes
I actually assume it's ordered as well. My list has been absolutely the same for a long time, until I SS'd Jutenija, when suddenly it came out on top (and gained quite alot of pp for it).

While the spreadsheet might be "flawed" in our eyes, keep in mind that we don't know how pp is calculated, and from what I can tell those maps probably have a much higher contesting rate than others, thus the pp earnings are bigger. I might be wrong though.
winber1
I haven't really done anything lately, but my Best Performance is moving itself around lol, and those maps seem kinda old so I don't think contention played a role in it. So idk, doesn't seem to be related to best pp on my list, but I guess we'll see some day.

Aqo wrote:

We have Player A and Player B, playing a map.

Player A first played that map with 89% accuracy and a few miss, and then proceeded to retry that map again and again for several hours, having about 50-100 retries on it, until eventually getting an SS on it. Even despite getting that SS, if Player A kept playing that map he would most likely get 95%-97% accuracy on an average run.

Player B played that map and had 98% accuracy on his first try. He thought he might try going for an SS on it, so he played it again, then getting about 98% again, maybe slightly higher. He then decided this map isn't very fun for him, and moved on.

Who do you think is a more skilled player, A or B?
And who is PP going to rate higher?
You are basically trying to rank people by using one song. The thing is you really can't do that. Even in a perfect pp calculation world, you still need an average of at least several maps. It doesn't really matter if Player B played a few times, got a good score, got a little less pp than Player A, and moved on to either just take a break or play/rank on other maps. If Player B is truly better, he would then be able to get much better scores than Player A on other maps, in which case his PP would clearly show (though I'm still assuming a perfect pp calculation world). Obviously, right now, that may not be the case, but I'm just saying that you can't attribute this to one map... It doesn't matter if on one map a "worse" player obtains a higher rank than you. Secondly, the computer cannot measure your emotional state, and calculating pp by play count is WAY too unreliable. So much crap happens in the real world that could make your play count skyrocket for certain reasons or another (whether emotional or physical (e.g. you are tired or you are depressed, or your mom is being an ass, not that my mom is :x)
[CSGA]Ar3sgice

Aqo wrote:

Player A first played that map with 89% accuracy and a few miss, and then proceeded to retry that map again and again for several hours, having about 50-100 retries on it, until eventually getting an SS on it. Even despite getting that SS, if Player A kept playing that map he would most likely get 95%-97% accuracy on an average run.

Player B played that map and had 98% accuracy on his first try. He thought he might try going for an SS on it, so he played it again, then getting about 98% again, maybe slightly higher. He then decided this map isn't very fun for him, and moved on.

I don't think someone who can only do 89% can magically get a SS even if playing for 3-5 hours :o

I think, by tring to get the SS, player A practise a lot on his limits(?), so player A will get more pro, but player B just brush score, and stays the same skill

so pp system is in order to encourage people play for skill~
boat
Really aqo, you're not getting the point. ar3sgice mentioned it already, but I'll have a go at it too. Person B is to not gain more PP than another simply because he is on a higher level than person A, as how well you can do on a map is limited. Rather, its up to said person to if he wants his performance rank to reflect how good of a player he is, its up to him to play and score well on harder maps in order to prove that he is a more skilled player, but the score on a map of said level shouldn't give more or less depending on how long it took for a person to achieve a perfect score.
lolcubes
You know what the irony here is?
Just because this list is now revealed, everyone will play those maps, meaning other maps will receive even less attention. Haha.

inb4 conspiracy theory! :D
Tanzklaue
I don't think that popularity should have any effect on the ranking at all.

think about it. if a map is popular, many top players have ranks on it, with mods. yes, if I now play that map, my rank isn't that high, and it would be higher if there weren't that many ranks on it. but does it make me a worse player? no, of course not. your effort is the same, whether the map is popular or not, it doesn't change the actual difficulty of your accomplishment.

a little example here: we take one map, and every player plays his best on this one map. after everybody has done that, we freeze time.
what we now have is an almost exact ranking of skill to that point of time on that specific map. sure, some people played the map more often than others, and luck and momentum is also a random factor, but overall, it is pretty accurate.

in reality, not everyone will play his best on every map, or even play every map. so you might get ranks on maps that you wouldn't achieve if everybody played this map with everything he got. but still, this doesn't make you worse, or others better. it just shows that many people didn't played the map, or only played them no mod.

long story short: the ranks of other players (and so your rank) on a map should not affect the PP, because it takes no additional skill to play a map many others played before you.
I hope my point is somewhat clear, as I had difficulties to really say what i wanted to say :o
winber1
The reason it exists is because if a song is popular, a rank #100 will be worth more than a rank#100 on a non-popular song. On non-popular songs it's easier to get higher ranks, and so rank #1 on some map not many people like to play is not nearly as hard to achieve then #1 on a very popular map (because a lot more pros start playing the map). With that in mind, a rank #10 on that popular should be worth a lot more than rank #1 on some map no one really cares much about. Removing this will probably cause a lot of weird pp changes, probably for the worse (because there are a lot of maps where not as pro people have #1's or top 10's that could mess up the pp rankings)
Yuugo

winber1 wrote:

The reason it exists is because if a song is popular, a rank #100 will be worth more than a rank#100 on a non-popular song. On non-popular songs it's easier to get higher ranks, and so rank #1 on some map very people like to play is not nearly as hard to achieve then #1 on a very popular map (because a lot more pros start playing the map). With that in mind, a rank #10 on that popular should be worth a lot more than rank #1 on some map no one really cares much about. Removing this will probably cause a lot of weird pp changes, probably for the worse (because there are a lot of maps where not as pro people have #1's or top 10's that could mess up the pp rankings)
Just gonna quote this to spare myself some typing. I'm gonna be acting as if the pp algorithm is really simple here, for clarity reasons.

To continue on this, let's take two maps, for example, Bad Apple's hardest diff and a map the simply completely copied that map and got ranked anyhow. We now have a map that get's weighted the same except for the fact that the original Bad Apple has a crazy amount of plays. Now you friggin love Bad Apple so you play both maps to SS but you have a principal distaste towards mods, so it's just gonna be a gold SS.

On the original Bad Apple (I'm gonna be pulling numbers out of my ass now) this would land you on #1230. On the copy-cat map, you're #60. If the popularity of the map wouldn't be taken into account, the new map would be worth a lot more points, you've made it into the top 100 after all! This shows that it wouldn't be fair to treat the maps that way, since you've preformed equally on them. With a modifier for popularity these ranks should give more or less the same amount of pp (again, I'm kind of pulling that out of my ass, but I think that's the ideal reasoning).

The problem right now is that your ranks above 500 won't even get considered. But peppy already told us this will be changed somehow, we just have to wait how exactly this will turn out.
AdRon Zh3Ro
"tons of FCs with high acc, why is it here? because osu"

I really did saw a nightcore at top rankings... But this...
Lybydose
suddenly, 8 new scores appear in the top 40 of lonely dreaming girl
roym899
I wonder why it can happen that you improve your score but lose pp? It just happened to me on a song which was in my Best Performance list. I improved my rank and I lost around 20 pp. (I also lost 0,01 accuracy, maybe that's the problem)
Mismagius
lol someone deleted everything
lolcubes

Blue Dragon wrote:

lol someone deleted everything
Yeah. As long as people act like this I doubt anything good can happen out of all of this. :<
vahetpole
Just as I was beating those unfairly high players, this happens... Someone must have had it saved, other than peppy.

// and it's back.
roym899

roym899 wrote:

I wonder why it can happen that you improve your score but lose pp? It just happened to me on a song which was in my Best Performance list. I improved my rank and I lost around 20 pp. (I also lost 0,01 accuracy, maybe that's the problem)
Ok I improved the accuracy now, too and the PP got way higher now.

But I also have another question: When only scores in the top 500 are considered, is also only the accuracy of these scores considered?
Ziggo

roym899 wrote:

Nope, I had the same issue even though I also improved the accuracy of my record. I guess it's some weird bug or something like that.

roym899 wrote:

Ok I improved the accuracy now, too and the PP got way higher now.
Well, that's nice for you then. PP can still decrease even with improved accuracy though.
bwross

Aqo wrote:

I'd just like to point something out that just occurred to me, which is related to how scoring and the PP system works with taking into account only good plays and not bad ones:

Player C realized that under the new Aqo replay point rewarding system, he should play the map a 1000 times on a machine disconnected from the net until he could do it in his sleep. Then he moved over to the connected machine, played it once and SSed it, scoring beau coup de Aqo-PP.

Factoring in number of plays is Capital-B Bad. It just encourages silly and aberrant player behaviour. People shouldn't ever feel obligated to hide their practicing or to avoid the online aspects of the game. People shouldn't be punished because their machine lags more than someone else's and costs them more replays. People shouldn't feel that they need to always be in top condition and ready to play seriously whenever they play... they should be able to kick back and play casually, even if they're drunk or sick in bed or playing offhanded for fun and can barely get through songs.

Yes, Player A might have gotten a bit lucky. But that's okay, the system doesn't need to penalize bad play to correct for that, decay will eventually take away any points that Player A cannot reproduce again easily. Plus, while Player A was playing that map a 100 times, Player B could be scoring well on many maps, or doing what A is doing and scoring an SS on a much harder map. All told, Player B probably outscored Player A in PP during that time period, even if Player B didn't get more PP on that one map.

Only rewarding good plays and not penalizing for bad plays is one of the main factors that lead PP to rate farming over skill on a lot of the maps. While it's understandable that penalizing bad plays might be demoralizing for all of the players who are not used to competitive ranking boards, the system has to work in a way that makes sense when going with the decision of only taking into account good plays (this is related to worth of SS/S/etc, on different levels of OD. An SS on low OD usually means no more than "farming" and not actual "skill" with the current system and the nature of what maps players choose to play. Rewarding extra for high-accuracy on a system that ignores retries basically rewards extra for farming and for playing easier maps).
That's not farming. Farming would be if you could just keep playing new maps and have your PP grow without end. You can't do that in the new system, because the weighting curve will cut you off after so many maps, and the only way you can get more PP then is to score higher than your previous plays. It might look like you can farm, because if your PP is built on junk already, playing low level maps can stoke things up a bit and look like farming. But it's ultimately self defeating... eventually you'll need to post better and better plays to advance. Plus, better scores means that you get to add more of them together (because the weighting function won't push them under the threshold until later)... it's bonus squared. Sure there is a bit of an issue with PP being "soft" for lower values... where a player might be able to advance quicker in the short term with lower level maps, but another player playing higher level maps will be actively becoming a better player, and will ultimately be able to score higher.

Besides, the problem you seem to be going on about can be addressed better (and without destroying the game) by addressing OD. I'm sure peppy has already considered that low OD makes high accuracy less impressive and the bonuses involved might need to be tweaked accordingly, because that's pretty obvious.

That's not to say the PP system is ideal. It would be nice if a player could feel that a 560th place SS rank Hard/Insane was worth something and didn't feel that they'd have been better off underplaying their ability on the Normal map for a top-40. An ideal system would recognize that a player capable of one was capable of the other and their ranking would be set accordingly without making players ever feel they should or need to underplay. But that would require an excellent objective measure of difficulty, which is a very hard problem... the PP system approaches from a more subjective angle, which is a good approach to the problem given the constraints and difficulties posed. The weighting function is an excellent approach, as is the decay, they make a solid statistical approach to calculating a variable that's expected to trend. The top-500 cutoff is a bit ugly, IMO, but I can see why it's there, even if it does contribute to underplay behaviour (one suggestion to alleviate this a bit would be to consider having SSes be eligible at any rank... past 500 they're probably not worth much anyways (and might well be worth 0 if too far down), so it's not like you can farm a million 500+ rank SSes and have them count for much given the other limitations). The fact that you can lose PP on a map when you improve a score on it is also less than ideal.
nrii_old

Lybydose wrote:

suddenly, 8 new scores appear in the top 40 of lonely dreaming girl
9 now, +6pp thx
Jordan
ROFL just as expected. Now that everyone knows high weighted maps every noob can go farm good ranks on simple maps and get loads of pp for nothing. Gj publishing the list...
nrii_old

Jordan wrote:

ROFL just as expected. Now that everyone knows high weighted maps every noob can go farm good ranks on simple maps and get loads of pp for nothing. Gj publishing the list...
and what's stopping good players doing the same and beating the "noobs" ranks?

btw you could already do this by checking people like sette and shadowsouls top ranks, full of hards you could dt for easy pp
winber1

nrii wrote:

laziness
Mismagius

Jordan wrote:

i thought the point of online games with rankings WAS competitivity
Tanzklaue

Blue Dragon wrote:

Jordan wrote:

i thought the point of online games with rankings WAS competitivity
funny, I thought the point of games overall was fun :/

jokes aside, leaking this list was probably not the best thing to do, since now, like lolcubes said, everyon will farm these maps, making other maps even more worthless.

plus some bored cracks could get behind the alggorythm, but that's really unrealistic.
SoND
Is there a "sliding scale" for points distribution vs number of unique players instead of a flat cut-off point e.g. rank #1000?

Some maps have pretty much everyone playing them making the chances of getting into the points zone very slim and a lot more demanding. Even if you do really well there's already another 4000 that have done slightly better, it can put you off spending time at the map. Perhaps the reward makes up for it but idk because I don't rank high enough :D

How does the system handle maps with few scores (<500) but high difficulty with plenty of the top ranking players?

Note my curves should actually be curvy.

Note: I understand this could be unworkable nonsense
Mismagius

Tanzklaue wrote:

plus some bored cracks could get behind the alggorythm, but that's really unrealistic.
why would anyone do that anyways? the list of highest pp ranks is there.
nrii_old

Blue Dragon wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

why would anyone do that anyways? the list of highest pp ranks is there.
but it is and it isnt, the list goes some way but is flawed imo, either with high rank maps that dont give much, or maps that arent even on it that give a fucking shitload
edit couple examples:
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/86377 #782 on list and giving insane amounts
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/134550&m=0 just took #2 on this and its in my top 4 top ranks, not even on the list
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/48506 #741 on list yet kyou-kun's top ranked map, ahead of her f.i score which is map rank #206

this isnt to say the list is wrong, but i get the feeling there is more to it than just this list
Tom69_old

nrii wrote:

Jordan wrote:

btw you could already do this by checking people like sette and shadowsouls top ranks, full of hards you could dt for easy pp
This is like score farming. Boring. That's what stops at least me from doing it. The original aim of PP was to reward good scores, not a certain set of beatmaps. :>
nrii_old

Tom94 wrote:

This is like score farming. Boring. That's what stops at least me from doing it. The original aim of PP was to reward good scores, not a certain set of beatmaps. :>
dont get me wrong im not saying its good this way, just that this guy is crying over nothing
JAKACHAN

nrii wrote:

Jordan wrote:

Everyone loves playing hards with DT...
HashishKabob
Yo man, I just came to say yo.. system's whack man!

#46 PEACE
Kert

JAKANYAN wrote:

Everyone loves playing hards with DT...
No
vahetpole
Am I the only one who cannot access the top weighted maps list on google docs?
MillhioreF
peppy deleted his post about it too... it seems he decided to cancel making the list public xD
Jordan

nrii wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

dont get me wrong im not saying its good this way, just that this guy is crying over nothing
I'm not really crying over nothing xD just saying what Tom said: farming is boring. I want to play the hardest diff of a map to gain pp (talking of already high rank) not simple diffs that give me 5 times more pp than some insanes :[
Icyteru
^That would be fucking hard to calculate, in fact, I'm pretty sure that's the aim peppy was trying to achieve in the first place.

Anyway, yea I just noticed, even though hards on DT are easier than most insanes, I get more pp from hard DT than hidden insane FC.Top rank: Hard DT.

I only ever played 2 hards and both on DT, yet they both are on my top ranks list.

Something needs to be done about this.
Kert
Well, weightning is seriously too influenced by amount of plays or something, because
Demetori - Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
I got 2 PP for these really small circles
Is that okay?

UPD: this is probably another case and is related to how HR modifier works
It should have a higher multiplier for higher OD and circle size and on the countrary
show more