forum

What BPM should I be using?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yuvira
I've got a beatmap with a song at 87 BPM, but someone's suggested making it 174 (because 87 is relatively slow when scaling speed by BPM). To be clear, the BPM is 87 in normal time, but are there any guidelines or best practices in using a specific timing for the BPM? Basically I'm just wondering if it's fine to double the BPM for scroll speed, or if standard time should always be used as the basis for a map's BPM.
xenal
If the bpm is 87, then 87 shall it be. If it requires you to map it using 1/8 or even 1/16, do it, it's better than lying on the true bpm.

Edit : just realised what you meant with scroll speed, that's mania, then not sure.

Edit2 (from #modhelp) : unrankable, use larger Slider Velocity instead.
Topic Starter
Yuvira
Ah, my bad, I should have specified that I'm asking for Mania (also slider velocity doesn't affect Mania scroll speeds).
WhiteWeebWolf
Alot of maps do double the bpm to make it easier for the mapper to plot the notes for the song. but if the song is slow and not in the least bit intense then you shouldnt need to double it. But if it does have an upbeat kick to it in any point then it is a good suggestion to double the bpm, otherwise your forced to have your snap ticks be 1/8 to 1/16 which is way too messy for the mapper to deal with. I hope i made some sence lol ;)
lewski
There's no point in doubling the bpm unless you want to map 1/32 or something dumb like that, although in that case you should probably reevaluate that decision unless the bpm is super low. Raising the bpm just to avoid 1/8 and 1/16 is just silly and misrepresentative of the song.
Topic Starter
Yuvira
I don't have any issues with mapping at the base BPM. I was asking about increasing the BPM for the sake of the Mania scroll speeds experienced by players, since the BPM in standard time is relatively slow (or so I've been told).