forum

Blinded by the beat scores! (A suggestion?)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Magmabear
Ok, I noticed that when I played the hidden mod that sometimes the mappers put beats back where a previous beat was. It's kinda' hard to explain. But anyway, when you hit a beat, the score of it would pop up, and it waits for a bit before slooooowly dissolving away.

Now, because of this, and since Hidden mode doesn't have any circles to which you can see it and it disappears after a bit, it's impossible to see the next beat.

You may think that I'm complaining over nothing, but sometimes this also applies to when I'm not using hidden mode. Sometimes in a jumble of beats that are very close together, the beat scores get in the way and I can't see what's going on. Of course there is my ability to hit notes to put in as a factor too, and I acknowledge that I'm not incredibly good like somebody like Cyclone or even Peppy. But I can get through a pretty tough beatmap ok. But I usually can't do that when the scores are blocking my view of what I'm supposed to hit next (ex. Christmas for you on hard). No matter how many times I play it, I still can't see it because the scores are in my way.

What I suggest is pretty simple actually: Make the time for when the scores stay on the screen slightly shorter, just slightly, and instead of them fading out, have them instantly disappear, or have them fade out faster

Tell me what you think, and please be nice. And I'm not trying to be mean, like "Oh, Peppy sucks at making this game! Nothing is right!" I don't want to change osu dramatically or anything, just a small change so that people can see the beats a little bit better, that's all.
Echo
I think that's a "feature" of hidden mode and shouldn't be tampered with at all.

When you're not using hidden mode, the approach circles should be more than enough to tell you there's a beat underneath.
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
YoshiKart
Unfortunately, this is the way the game is supposed to be made. If you played Elite Beat Agents or Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (2) before, you'll know that stacked notes are a part of the game. Hidden mode forces you to memorize the beatmap for the most part anyway.

The way to beat this is to just look at the approach circles when Hidden mod isn't on, and have them memorized when you want to apply Hidden.

EDIT: Echo and peppy KSed (sort of).
Topic Starter
Magmabear
Well, actually, I'm not talking about Hidden mode itself, Hidden mode is just fine the way it is. I'm just talking about the scores that are blocking my view sometimes.
Actually I played EBA for a bit and the scores actually disappear quicker than osu does.

Just a question: Does it really matter if the scores are displayed for a longer time? I mean, I think that we all know which score is which when you hit it and that we naturally process it which score it is in about half a second or less. Like for EBA we all know that Orange is 300 and green is 100 and blue is 50 and red is that you missed it. I don't think the scores need to be up there for that long to show us what we got, especially on really fast beatmaps because you're already on your way to the next beat by the time you hit it.

(Is it only me that thinks this? It's okay if it is because that means that something must be wrong with me)

Even if it's only a few milliseconds that would actually help wonders.
Topic Starter
Magmabear
Oh, and I'm not talking about stacked stacked notes, where there are a lot of notes underneath notes. Those are a no brainer. its just clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick and you got it.
peppy
I personally like the current timings. I spent a long time fine-tuning them and this is what I came up with. I haven't played ouendan or EBA since starting osu! dev and don't intend to go out of my way to mimic anything from those games.
Topic Starter
Magmabear
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Cyclone
Sometimes when playing on hidden, i have a skin setup(copy of another skin) with blank hit300's. It's uses are limited to a small number of songs, but a good example would be Oblivion [Darri Mix]

Also i only use blank 300 so i know if my timing goes off.
peppy
^ Lame.
Echo
That's cheap, like my "pause to change to tablet to do spinners" trick. No, I don't do it anymore.
An64fan
Aw, hey, come on, you don't like the frustration of having a hard time hitting stuff? :P It's half the fun!

If all fails, watch Auto do it, then practice the map like a hundred times to get it. Besides, cutting down the time that you see the scores only a smidgit isn't going to do you any good.
Atmey