forum

[Proposal] Use ms for rules containing length in beats

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Venix
At the moment, in diff-specific RC every length is provided in 180BPM beats which makes it a bit tricky to calculate e.g. spinner recovery time on higher/lower BPM.

I think it would be useful to have milliseconds next to length in beats (in brackets for example) for each point containing it. It would make it much quicker and easier to determine proper spinner recovery times, perfect overlap intervals, etc.

----------------------------------------------------

An example from osu!standard Easy RC:

Current:
Spinner recovery time should be at least 4 beats. This is to ensure adequate time to click a hit object following a spinner.
Proposed:
Spinner recovery time should be at least 4 beats (1332ms). This is to ensure adequate time to click a hit object following a spinner.
dennischan
This suggestion makes a lot of sense, however we should also consider that with this change previously allowed spinner recovery times may be now outlawed.

For example, with 200 bpm and the new rule, you can't have spinner recovery time lasting only 4 beats on an Easy. However, currently, most BNs would be lenient and allow 4 beat recovery time on slightly higher BPMs.

So we should also consider that this rule change will affect the actual interpretation of the RC, and is not just a wording change.
Serizawa Haruki
I think looking at the exact ms makes things unnecessarily complicated. If anything, I would add a table that scales the number of beats to the BPM, similar to https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria/osu!/Scaling_BPM
This article already contains stuff like "For example, Easy difficulties require 4 beats of recovery time after spinners according to the Ranking Criteria. At 180BPM, that is true, however at 120BPM, it would be fine to use 3 beats of recovery, and that could gradually shift to 2 beats at 90BPM."
It could be expanded a bit though in order to cover more rules/guidelines and more BPM ranges than just 180, 120 and 90
pishifat
i don't think this would help with much? like, a ms value would be compared in the same way as, say, 4 beats of 180bpm. it's either faster or slower, and having a more precise number wouldn't really impact a decision being made (or, at least it owuldn't affect decisions in a more effective way imo)