forum

[resolved] Make RC more clear regarding spread.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +16
Topic Starter
Ashton
Hello everybody,

As many of us know the ranking spread goes as follows:

...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Normal. Because osu!mania does not have a difficulty-specific Ranking Criteria yet, an osu!mania beatmapset's Normal difficulty is defined as a difficulty below 2.00 stars. For hybrid beatmapsets that include osu! difficulties, the additional modes' lowest difficulties cannot be harder than a Hard.
...between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Hard.
...between 4:15 and 5:00, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than an Insane.
...anything higher, the beatmapset is exempt from reasonable spread rules.

I have no issue with these however I think it becomes a tad muddy when we talk about "harder than a hard", "harder than an insane", or the more commonly one that I personally struggle with "harder than a normal".

The guideline for Normal already has this: "¹ If you have an Easy, make sure your Normal is a bit harder than your Easy, of course. If you do not have an Easy, you should still make your Normal suitable for beginners. A 1.6-1.7 star Normal will comfortably make up for an Easy.

² Well, unless you spam 1/4 sliders everywhere. Or shoehorn 1/2 sliders in for that matter. Certain BAT members have been known to rage via PMs over this sort of thing."

To me this could be a bit misleading. It's understandable, but at first glance I'd consider anything in the realm of Normals would be considered OK as the lowest difficulty, however as mentioned avove, it seems that you need to make an "easy-normal" or easier than the average normal for it to be the lowest difficulty?

I'm not going to get into whether or not this should be the case, however I do think adjusting the RC to mention that if a Normal is used as the lowest difficulty that it must be easier than the average Normal. Or simply allow any suitable Normal as the lowest difficulty.
abraker
Topic Starter
Ashton

abraker wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/87

o
Stefan
hm