forum

Question for all you mouse/ex-mouse players

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Remi_Scarlet
First post on these forums so 'sup, but that's not my question.(nor a question at all.)

I've been using a mouse since starting to play and I've had my fair share of experience with tablets, but I like mouse better. Now for the ~3-4 months of active playing, I've been using an old, old mac mouse.(w/ my pc) it's the oval type but the entire mouse is one giant button. Here's the problem, though. Occasionally, it likes to stop responding for like .2 seconds. Might not sound like a lot but when you're playing streams or jump maps on hard/insane, that's all it takes to make the drain eat you alive and hack your combo to 0.

Now the question (for all you tl;dr'ers)

Any new mouse you particularly recommend? I know some people say that it doesn't matter. I mean hell, I've been using a 10 year old mouse on insane maps, but if I'm going to buy a new mouse anyway, might as well get a nice one rather than a free bank of america mouse.(which a friend of mine uses)

Particularly, comfortable grip even after 2-3 hours of gameplay is greatly appreciated.(something my current mouse lacks)
Wired preferred as it guarantees no signal derps/mouse no respondy and stuff. Also my laptop's USB ports are only on the left/I'm a righty, so a generous length on the wire'd be nice.

Sorry if it ended up being tl;dr anyway ^^; (i just hate having my ~700 combo broken by mouse derps every 15 minutes.)
silmarilen
im using a logitech g300 and its great, never have problems with mouse derping.
Tanzklaue
just try some mouses in the store, there isn't something like a perfect mouse that everybody should use.
Joof
Most mice these days should be long enough, my mouse, I find is too long that it gets in the way, and since my mouse is so light, I can feel where the wire is getting blocked and it's really irritating.

Also, mice depends on your budget, how much are you willing to spend? If anything, you could just get a normal casual mouse instead of a gaming mouse like most people these days get, they're not too expensive, and they work.
RaneFire
I have just recently done some mouse research so I'll share some of my opinions.
I settled with a Logitech G400 (hopefully v1's are all gone and I get a v2).
If you don't like the shape of these mice then hopefully this is at least a starting point for you.

Other mice I looked at:
- Razer Deathadder 3.5G (or 3G if u can find it)
- CM Storm Spawn
- Razer Abyssus (Light like a WMO 1.1a at 72g, and simple shape) - But hasn't received great reviews, surface affects sensor behaviour.
You could just get WMO 1.1a, apparently it's still a great mouse, but only at 500hz poll rate.

Here's a thread with some good mice:
http://www.esreality.com/post/2024663/m ... s-sensors/

If you want the latest in technology, there is the G500, Mionix Naos 5000, etc. But they use the ADNS-A9500 sensor known to cause hardware level acceleration, some say it depends on the playing surface, some say it's every surface.
Mukku
mx518 is the best
Frizz
MX518 had prediction :<
G400 is a better MX518, go get it instead.

If you'd like to spend a little more, then go get DeathAdder. Both ergonomic form and sensor are the best out there. If you don't like its relatively large size of DeathAdder and/or prefer ambidextrous mouse, get Abyssus. It's cheaper than DeathAdder but it still uses the same sensor as DeathAdder. Only lacks thumb buttons though.

RaneFire wrote:

If you want the latest in technology, there is the G500, Mionix Naos 5000, etc. But they use the ADNS-A9500 sensor known to cause hardware level acceleration, some say it depends on the playing surface, some say it's every surface.
G500 has a really bad sensor placement, don't even think about getting it.
Joof
I heard that most Logitech mouses have negative acceleration and it can't be turned off, is this true?
Frizz
That's because they're using laser sensors and all of them have acceleration.
Their optical ones especially G400 is fine. I do fast swipes a lot while playing FPS and there is no any kind of acceleration going on.
Wishy
Try Wacom Bamboo series, oh wait.
Topic Starter
Remi_Scarlet
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I've checked out all the mouses you've recommended. I actually think I like what I'm reading about the g400. I'm oing to look at just a few more + anything else others might recommend but i definitely like the g400. Again, thanks for the responses!
Kanye West
I used my cousin's G700 and it was pretty good but it's on the expensive side at $80. Also it's wireless so it has cursor lag sometimes. Now I use my stock hp mouse and it works fine :D
Sorun
Another g400 user checking in(previous MX518), I like it a lot, but it feels a little to bulky. I would go for something a tad bit smaller, possibly the G9x or any razer mouse since they all seem pretty small and quick. Probably want to check out the razer death adder since it's the cheapest. Hopefully someone who uses razer will chime in because i'm not 100% sure about razer quality.
Espionage724
I have a Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 which uses BlueTrack technology. Seems to work fine for me accuracy-wise, but I'm not a mouse-only player. The mouse was $13
Triskelion91
Hey w0lfie, I'm using a g500 and it's really good! :p
winber1
Whether a mouse is good is really personal opinion, or at least that's what I think. If you want life span... well probably buying higher quality mice is better, but for actual osu! playing, it all depends on you. I really liked my first mouse I used, which was some random crappy mouse made in China. To be honest, I'd switch back to that mouse if it didn't actually break on me. Doesn't really matter if the mice is "good" or not imo. Though I guess you can't really try a mouse before you buy it so that's a downside ._.

You don't need any of these high tech mice. A $5 mice will do as long it fits your grip and you are able to click comfortably :x

I have a Razer DeathAdder that I use when I'm bored, but imo it's not that good for how I play. It's also a little on the small side for me actually. My hands are relatively big :<
However, I do use it for regular common work on my computer since it does look cool and feels nice imo (just not that good for osu! but that's just my opinion)
Sorun

winber1 wrote:

Whether a mouse is good is really personal opinion, or at least that's what I think. If you want life span... well probably buying higher quality mice is better, but for actual osu! playing, it all depends on you. I really liked my first mouse I used, which was some random crappy mouse made in China. To be honest, I'd switch back to that mouse if it didn't actually break on me. Doesn't really matter if the mice is "good" or not imo. Though I guess you can't really try a mouse before you buy it so that's a downside ._.

You don't need any of these high tech mice. A $5 mice will do as long it fits your grip and you are able to click comfortably :x

I have a Razer DeathAdder that I use when I'm bored, but imo it's not that good for how I play. It's also a little on the small side for me actually. My hands are relatively big :<
However, I do use it for regular common work on my computer since it does look cool and feels nice imo (just not that good for osu! but that's just my opinion)
Sounds like a g400 or mx518 would fit you well, there praised by users with big hands. Also just wanted to mention that yeah a g400 may be $40, but logitechs customer service is amazing. My first MX518 started slowing down after 2 years so I called up Logitech and they replaced in less then 15 minutes on the phone completely free of charge. Then I broke my second MX518 due to rough playing during my counter strike days, it was my fault, but I decided to give Logitech a call and they said they would still replace it AND best of all they upgraded me to the G400 for free because the MX518 was out of stock.

Logitech service is absolutely superb, no other PC gaming company comes close. I notice reviews as well as my friends say razer and steel series are really strict with warranty replacements so that's kind of the reason why I stay away from those companies.
winber1
I'm a tablet player now :<
Sorun

winber1 wrote:

I'm a tablet player now :<
Don't want to throw the thread off topic, but i'm curious about tablets. Which one did you get?
Frizz
inb4 one of those wacom tablets
Topic Starter
Remi_Scarlet
Thanks again, guys! I ended up going with a g400 and it should be here by next week!

@Triskelion, fancy seeing you around here, eh?
-Athena-
Congrats on making your decision.
It really sucks that where I live they don't let you try any gaming mice, everything is boxed up ;_;.
I made the wrong decision and got a DeathAdder, much too big for me to claw grip (I read on some websites that it was easy, probably they had big European hands).
I'm living with my decision though, slowly adapting.
winber1

Frizz925 wrote:

inb4 one of those wacom tablets
but actually. It's not very expensive and I can do what I want on osu!

If I'm bored I also draw on it sometimes because I am a decent sketcher and it's just a hobby of mine. Not planning to do anything amazing on it :S
kriers

-Athena- wrote:

It really sucks that where I live they don't let you try any gaming mice, everything is boxed up ;_;.
I made the wrong decision and got a DeathAdder, much too big for me to claw grip (I read on some websites that it was easy, probably they had big European hands).
I had the opportunity to try a deathadder while I was on Dreamhack. It felt like a good mouse for mouse only, just saying. You should learn palm grip, since it's better for mouse only.
Frizz

-Athena- wrote:

DeathAdder is mainly made for palm grip users. You should just get Abyssus at the first place if you prefer claw grip that much.
Also, seconding to kriers. DeathAdder has larger buttons and I find it better for mouse only than my G400.
Topic Starter
Remi_Scarlet
Mouse only as in no keyboard and hitting rhythms with the buttons, right? If so, I move my mouse way too much whenever I click to make it even a consideration, lol.

I'm personally a claw type user myself. Though I do have decently large hands. (for an asian)
-Athena-
Yup, thanks guys, with my new mouse I'm getting better at alternating I noticed, but my jump speed and stream speed took a hit, I'll put more effort into it.

Btw did I mention that the DA is sexy as all heaven?
kriers
I was looking for a new mionix, but they were sold out today :( considered buying a deathadder, but once you've used a qpad 5k or a mionix naos 3200/5000 for too long, you just can't go back :P
- Z e o n -
the serie G for logitech are great ;D

i have the g9x and is good mouse , very confortable

bye :D
Allyses
I honest don't know what mouse am I using. It's microsoft's wireless mouse. and it sucks -_- I need to get a new one
Frizz
wireless is shite for gaming
hinamizawan
Mouse: rankwhore will
Tablet: becoming more skilled