forum

General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Hika
Funny thing is that my first level 100 was actually a Swampert, my second one being Torterra.
DeathxShinigami
@bmin I use any combo of Scald/Surf/Beam/Recover/Dragon Tail/Toxic Right now my set is Scald, Beam, Recover, Tail atm.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
My Milotic:

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=2229068

The move set's not what I use, but that's the spread in question. It's optimized for level 50, though.
mm201
Scald/Surf OL makes me sad.
@Ekaru: >Perfect IVs >Totally legitimate and not RNG'd /sarcasm
South
idk wtf any of this IV and RNG nonsense is ~.~
Ava

KingFloyd wrote:

idk wtf any of this IV and RNG nonsense is ~.~
+1, tbh I still don't understand about IV and EV system. Can anyone tell me in a simple way please? :3
mm201
IVs (individual values) are a kind of hidden stat like your Pokémon's "genes." They make it a bit stronger or weaker in particular stats. Their effect is fairly small. They only make a difference of 31 points at level 100.
EVs (effort values) are another hidden stat meant to relate more to how hard your Pokémon trained. They have a larger influence of as much as 63 points at level 100, but you can only max out two stats on a single Pokémon this way before its stats stop increasing any more. (You can ration them across more stats if you want.)

The effect of both stats is proportionate to level, so IVs only make a difference of 15 points at level 50, etc.

IVs are randomly determined for each Pokémon and can never change. You can pass them on using breeding in a very limited way. Because of this, getting perfect IVs is extremely hard to the point of being impossible to obtain for all practical purposes.
EVs are obtained by battling other Pokémon. You can find which species is worth what on most online Pokédexes.

RNG (random number generator) manipulation is when, using the magic of math, you are able to predict values (like IVs) the game intends to be random, sort of like using weighted dice when gambling. Some consider it cheating.
South
yea i watched some tutorials on EV training and ima give it a go, pokerus looks a little hard to acquire but i could pull it off without that. ill see how long it takes and deem whether i think its worthy of my time or not :D
Hika
Alright, here's a question for all. What natures do you prefer on your Pokémon?
This isn't a matter of googling for me, but I'd like to know.
bmin11
No preferences, but it's always kinda funny to find conflicting natures like timid Braviary or naughty Chansey.

Stat wise; jolly, timid, bold, calm, careful, and impish. Really depends on the pokemon I guess.
NaomiMinette
Adamant, Modest, Brave, and Quiet for me.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

Scald/Surf OL makes me sad.
@Ekaru: >Perfect IVs >Totally legitimate and not RNG'd /sarcasm
Caught. Yeah, that's one of my RNG'd Pokemon. I do have some decent non-RNGed breeds, though:

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221174 (Aww, its EVs are off)
https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221105
https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221111
https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221181 (Maybe I should raise it, actually...)
https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221106 (I LOVE IT! That defense stat is shit, though)

And some other ones that I won't bother listing. :P

EDIT: I'm sitll butthurt about that Haxorus. I wasted an entire vacation just trying to get ONE Axew that had a 31 Attack IV. But NOOOOOO...
DeathxShinigami
Adamant, Modest, Jolly, Timid, Sassy, Careful, Impish, Calm, Bold

Only one's that are viable imo.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Adamant, Modest, Jolly, Timid, Sassy, Careful, Impish, Calm, Bold

Only one's that are viable imo.
^Except for mixed sets and certain gimmick teams, this, this, and this.
Ava
I forgot the nature's names, but since I prefer speed than anything so.. Well, you know :)

QUESTION!

How to distribute EV?
NaomiMinette
It depends which stats you wanna raise. I'll just go with a basic example: if you want a fast attacking Pokémon, put 252 (NEVER GO FOR 255!) points in both Attack and Speed and the remaining 4/6 in whatever else stat you want. As for its Nature, make sure it's one that lowers either its Defense, Special Defense, or Special Attack.

If you're unsure about which 2nd stat to raise, then have fun figuring out how to distribute from there :P
mm201
Picking EVs is a rather deep subject involving magic stat numbers, taking n hits, outspeeding common threats, KOing common threats in n hits, and optimizing defenses. Your best bet is to consult Smogon's spreads for the set you want to run, and adjust the important stats to correct for imperfect IVs. (Good set descriptions on Smogon indicate the magic numbers they aim for.)

My mixed Electivire has Lonely nature. About the only useless natures are neutral ones and perhaps Lax/Gentle.
South
i got the pokerus on a random trade over the gts yesterday :D
Topic Starter
Ekaru

KingFloyd wrote:

i got the pokerus on a random trade over the gts yesterday :D
That's exactly how I first got the PokeRUS in 2007. :D
Azure_Kite
I remember getting pokerus after a few hundred hours in Gold.

I was like "wtf, did I just break the game?"
Drakari_old
Why has nobody posted this yet?
Hika
I should check twitter more often if they keep doing stuff like this.
Laharl

mm201 wrote:

About the only useless natures are neutral ones and perhaps Lax/Gentle.
To be honest, I like the neutral ones too. I find them quite useful if you just want a random pokémon without EV's while blazing through the game for the first time, collecting badges and so on.

I'm happy, btw.
My friends and me met to go for a pokémon tourney with 6 players and I got second with a team out of:
  1. Eelektross
  2. Accelgor
  3. Hydreigon
  4. Chandelure
  5. Carracosta
    and
  6. Reuniclus

They weren't all Lv100 but luckily it didn't matter.
Gonna trade my Hydreigon to B2 to teach him Dark Pulse. FINALLY. =D
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Drakari wrote:

Personally, I was going to wait until they actually made the announcement to see if it was anything notable. I've been trolled by things like this often enough to not want to get hyped until I see the announcement.

HOWEVER, it's undoubtedly the same announcement as the Japanese Jan. 8th announcement, so if they troll us I will be sad.
LukaXD

Ekaru wrote:

Drakari wrote:

Personally, I was going to wait until they actually made the announcement to see if it was anything notable. I've been trolled by things like this often enough to not want to get hyped until I see the announcement.

HOWEVER, it's undoubtedly the same announcement as the Japanese Jan. 8th announcement, so if they troll us I will be sad.
Pokedex 3D Pro^2 ??? I feel kinda sorry for the people that spent money on the non pro version, they had to buy the pro version without any discount :/
Topic Starter
Ekaru

LukaXD wrote:

Pokedex 3D Pro^2 ??? I feel kinda sorry for the people that spent money on the non pro version, they had to buy the pro version without any discount :/
The non-pro version was free. >_>

EDIT: So, they're doing a countdown for this on pokemon.com, and this countdown says it's "MAJOR NEWS".

I call keychains.
LukaXD

Ekaru wrote:

LukaXD wrote:

The non-pro version was free. >_>

EDIT: So, they're doing a countdown for this on pokemon.com, and this countdown says it's "MAJOR NEWS".

I call keychains.
FREE? They make us pay here T.T
Topic Starter
Ekaru

LukaXD wrote:

Seriously? That's a rip-off. It was designed to be free software - hence how you had to unlock everything - and most certainly was free in many places.
LukaXD

Ekaru wrote:

LukaXD wrote:

Seriously? That's a rip-off. It was designed to be free software - hence how you had to unlock everything - and most certainly was free in many places.
It was only €3.99
The pro one is €14.99 o.o

I'm not sure about other shops, but my friend and I use the Italy eShop, idk if it was free elsewhere.
I didn't get it anyway, so I won't complain much :D (EDIT: Because I got my 3ds LATE, and by late I mean 3 days ago, my friend actually bought it, not me)
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Pro's 15 USD here, which is equal to 11.4 euro.

But yeah, having to pay for the normal version was a rip-off. They should've given you a discount if they made you pay for it.
Hika
Oh my god, I think I have an idea of what they're doing. They're insane!

They're obviously going to announce probably something new of the Pokémon series if I'm thinking logically. But if not, then poor us for not being Japanese. Oh, you know what would be even better? THOSE RBY REMAKES!

I have made myself excited.

EDIT: No, I'm going to have to take those spoilers off. I want to make you all excited. /fangirling
bmin11
Another RBY remakes? No thanks.
Hika
Ahhh, we shall see! This is killing me to no end right now.
LukaXD
I guess it's Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remakes.
G1>G2>G3>G1R>G4>G2R>G5>G3R???
G = Generation
R = Remake
Can you see the pattern?

It's kinda too soon for the remake I think, but the pattern is as follows, there won't be a G6 until we get a G3R, gen.3 is meh, I love gen.2 the most <3
Hika
Oh Gen. 2 is just amazing to me. <3 But I mean who knows, can't help but sit through if they do make the remakes. I personally don't care because as a true Pokémon fan, anything Nintendo does is just perfect. *q*

Now, I can't wait to see the new news!
Azure_Kite
I'd be all for a R/S/E Remake, but really, what's changed graphically since then apart from battle animations? R/S/E kinda set the bar that they've been hitting ever since then, at least as far as the Overworld is concerned.

I'd like to see Black/White 3 where you get on an international airplane for 999999 Pokedollars to get to Hoenn, and then you can sail/surf/fly to Orre, Johto, Kanto and Sinnoh.
LukaXD

Hika wrote:

Oh Gen. 2 is just amazing to me. <3 But I mean who knows, can't help but sit through if they do make the remakes. I personally don't care because as a true Pokémon fan, anything Nintendo does is just perfect. *q*

Now, I can't wait to see the new news!
Gen 2 introduced me to pokemon, when i went to second grade new kids arrived at our school and what do you know, they had pokemon and a game link cable, so every lunch break we'd play like mad until ruby/sapphire came out.

Also Nintendo has had it's share of fails, from virtual boy to REGION LOCKING << nobody does this, not even sony -.-.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
I'm still betting on something like key chains or an event Pokemon. It *is* a worldwide announcement, though, so I'm going with event Pokemon 'cuz I like avoiding setting myself up for disappointment.
mm201
If it's a new gen, I'll school girl giggle like I did for gen4. RS remakes would be a pleasant surprise as well. I won't be disappointed if it turns out they're trolling us.
Hika
I've never had to deal with regional locking & I probably don't need to worry about it because I don't care! 8-) I've just been pleased with what Nintendo has been doing for the Pokémon franchise at the very least. I can't say much against it but it's just WOOOOOOO.

& Yes, if it's a new gen, I will also giggle like a school girl on a warm summer day in Japan.

P.S. - My dream set me up for disappointment just in case they're trolling us. ):
show more