forum

General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
WhoAteFred
AKA:abuse items, got it.
Hika
X items? WHOA, PEOPLE USE THEM? I never actually use them.
NaomiMinette

Hika wrote:

South
or u can trade for the machop in the giant pokemart ._.
Hika
>Machop
who uses this
DeathxShinigami

Hika wrote:

>Machop
who uses this
It's people like you Hika that makes me doubt the osu! player base of Pokemon. Machop is by far one of the best mons to have on your team at that point in the game. It completely obliterates all of the Normals in the Gym when you first receive it by a trade and can pull it's own weight with the rest of your team. I mean sure it's not going to be Machamp if you have no one to trade with but it's a good mon to use in HG/SS.
Hika
so mad

Actually, I forgot she was a normal type user. It makes sense but I don't ever recall going to the Pokémon Center in Goldenrod so I had no idea. Machop is just not my type of Pokémon, woooo ~opinions~.

EDIT: I kinda forgot to say that I'm not always about strategy. Whatever I have, I stick to it & I'm pretty biased about certain Pokémon. I'm probably not the only one at least.
South
arcanine > other pokes
bmin11
I loved Arcanine until BW2. God I had to grind him hard just to use for story mode orz
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Blazevoir wrote:

Hika wrote:

I used to not to until I read about it and tried it myself in HGSS 'cuz I was stuck against Claire.

My Furret swept Claire thanks to those items. You guys should really try it out yourself some time - it makes certain fights 100x easier. Tripling your Pokemon's stats is just amazing, period.

EDIT: *Quadrupling, not tripling. My bad.
South

bmin11 wrote:

I loved Arcanine until BW2. God I had to grind him hard just to use for story mode orz
arcanine was first poke i ever grinded to 100 ._. and he kicks total a** now
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Arcanine is very good in the Pokemon World Tournament, actually, but you have to breed and train it right.\

Milotic is also great with DxS's amazing EV spread. I actually cloned an extra (pokecheck + pokegts IIRC) just for PWT so that I could replace Hypnosis with Toxic while keeping Hypnosis for mp battles.
bmin11
Can I also take a look into the build as well?
mm201
Sandshrew got me through Whitney. Arcanine always seemed to have a pathetic movepool, but I haven't looked at him much since gen3.
My first lv100 was a Jolteon. It's part of a long story involving shiny Seviper. >___<
DeathxShinigami
Arcanine in my opinion I think still isn't that good. 95 speed I find to be too slow at times and the attack stat can disappoint me when I need it to shine too :c

Though a good moveset of Blitz, E-speed, Wild Charge + CC is pretty decent but the recoil hurts. There's also Crunch and Morning Sun. So good enough movepool to make decent sets.

@bmin The Milotic spread I run is just 252hp + 252def +4spdef, Bold. Since there's no point of keeping Milotic in against special based elec or grass mons since Milotic loses 1v1 against them anyways. Rather patch up Milo's not so good Defense instead to make it more balanced. Thought Ekaru ran a different spread I could be wrong.
bmin11
I didn't had any lv.100 (closes was Swampert with lv.92 for gen 3). I had no post elite four gameplay pretty much :/

EDIT: How about the movepool? If I have to guess, Surf/Recover/Toxic (switch Surf to Scald if not Toxic) and a last move that I can't think of with my head.
Azure_Kite
My first level 100 was A kabutops.
Hika
Funny thing is that my first level 100 was actually a Swampert, my second one being Torterra.
DeathxShinigami
@bmin I use any combo of Scald/Surf/Beam/Recover/Dragon Tail/Toxic Right now my set is Scald, Beam, Recover, Tail atm.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
My Milotic:

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=2229068

The move set's not what I use, but that's the spread in question. It's optimized for level 50, though.
mm201
Scald/Surf OL makes me sad.
@Ekaru: >Perfect IVs >Totally legitimate and not RNG'd /sarcasm
South
idk wtf any of this IV and RNG nonsense is ~.~
Ava

KingFloyd wrote:

idk wtf any of this IV and RNG nonsense is ~.~
+1, tbh I still don't understand about IV and EV system. Can anyone tell me in a simple way please? :3
mm201
IVs (individual values) are a kind of hidden stat like your Pokémon's "genes." They make it a bit stronger or weaker in particular stats. Their effect is fairly small. They only make a difference of 31 points at level 100.
EVs (effort values) are another hidden stat meant to relate more to how hard your Pokémon trained. They have a larger influence of as much as 63 points at level 100, but you can only max out two stats on a single Pokémon this way before its stats stop increasing any more. (You can ration them across more stats if you want.)

The effect of both stats is proportionate to level, so IVs only make a difference of 15 points at level 50, etc.

IVs are randomly determined for each Pokémon and can never change. You can pass them on using breeding in a very limited way. Because of this, getting perfect IVs is extremely hard to the point of being impossible to obtain for all practical purposes.
EVs are obtained by battling other Pokémon. You can find which species is worth what on most online Pokédexes.

RNG (random number generator) manipulation is when, using the magic of math, you are able to predict values (like IVs) the game intends to be random, sort of like using weighted dice when gambling. Some consider it cheating.
South
yea i watched some tutorials on EV training and ima give it a go, pokerus looks a little hard to acquire but i could pull it off without that. ill see how long it takes and deem whether i think its worthy of my time or not :D
Hika
Alright, here's a question for all. What natures do you prefer on your Pokémon?
This isn't a matter of googling for me, but I'd like to know.
bmin11
No preferences, but it's always kinda funny to find conflicting natures like timid Braviary or naughty Chansey.

Stat wise; jolly, timid, bold, calm, careful, and impish. Really depends on the pokemon I guess.
NaomiMinette
Adamant, Modest, Brave, and Quiet for me.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

Scald/Surf OL makes me sad.
@Ekaru: >Perfect IVs >Totally legitimate and not RNG'd /sarcasm
Caught. Yeah, that's one of my RNG'd Pokemon. I do have some decent non-RNGed breeds, though:

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221174 (Aww, its EVs are off)
https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221105
https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221111
https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221181 (Maybe I should raise it, actually...)
https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1221106 (I LOVE IT! That defense stat is shit, though)

And some other ones that I won't bother listing. :P

EDIT: I'm sitll butthurt about that Haxorus. I wasted an entire vacation just trying to get ONE Axew that had a 31 Attack IV. But NOOOOOO...
DeathxShinigami
Adamant, Modest, Jolly, Timid, Sassy, Careful, Impish, Calm, Bold

Only one's that are viable imo.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Adamant, Modest, Jolly, Timid, Sassy, Careful, Impish, Calm, Bold

Only one's that are viable imo.
^Except for mixed sets and certain gimmick teams, this, this, and this.
Ava
I forgot the nature's names, but since I prefer speed than anything so.. Well, you know :)

QUESTION!

How to distribute EV?
NaomiMinette
It depends which stats you wanna raise. I'll just go with a basic example: if you want a fast attacking Pokémon, put 252 (NEVER GO FOR 255!) points in both Attack and Speed and the remaining 4/6 in whatever else stat you want. As for its Nature, make sure it's one that lowers either its Defense, Special Defense, or Special Attack.

If you're unsure about which 2nd stat to raise, then have fun figuring out how to distribute from there :P
mm201
Picking EVs is a rather deep subject involving magic stat numbers, taking n hits, outspeeding common threats, KOing common threats in n hits, and optimizing defenses. Your best bet is to consult Smogon's spreads for the set you want to run, and adjust the important stats to correct for imperfect IVs. (Good set descriptions on Smogon indicate the magic numbers they aim for.)

My mixed Electivire has Lonely nature. About the only useless natures are neutral ones and perhaps Lax/Gentle.
South
i got the pokerus on a random trade over the gts yesterday :D
Topic Starter
Ekaru

KingFloyd wrote:

i got the pokerus on a random trade over the gts yesterday :D
That's exactly how I first got the PokeRUS in 2007. :D
Azure_Kite
I remember getting pokerus after a few hundred hours in Gold.

I was like "wtf, did I just break the game?"
Drakari_old
Why has nobody posted this yet?
Hika
I should check twitter more often if they keep doing stuff like this.
Laharl

mm201 wrote:

About the only useless natures are neutral ones and perhaps Lax/Gentle.
To be honest, I like the neutral ones too. I find them quite useful if you just want a random pokémon without EV's while blazing through the game for the first time, collecting badges and so on.

I'm happy, btw.
My friends and me met to go for a pokémon tourney with 6 players and I got second with a team out of:
  1. Eelektross
  2. Accelgor
  3. Hydreigon
  4. Chandelure
  5. Carracosta
    and
  6. Reuniclus

They weren't all Lv100 but luckily it didn't matter.
Gonna trade my Hydreigon to B2 to teach him Dark Pulse. FINALLY. =D
show more