forum

Sorting beatmaps by type on website

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
NightDragon_old
The beatmaps section has gotten really big and hard to just skim through certain songs. For instance, I like typically like jpop, cpop, and anime songs, but there isn't really a way to search through just these genres. So I was wondering if it was possible to have a list feature like the one on the website right now, but also add a sort of "folderish" like placing certain beatmaps into different categories like anime, cpop, jpop,... listing by genre and type. This will allow for people looking for a certain type of music to find the music easier. Although I don't know what categories there might be.

P.s. I looked through the feature requests searching for if they had some topic like this but I couldn't really find one, please tell me if there is a topic like this, all I found was a topic requesting sorting by BPM.
Echo
I'm concerned about a few details about this such as who decides on the genre, what happens to overlaps, who decides on the set list of genres, etc. We have a "tags" field in beatmaps which could be used to do something like this already, but I haven't really seen it being used much.

There has been some discussion on this already (eg. this really old thread). I'm not saying I disagree, I just want a system that works well if it's created.

I believe ID3v1 (metadata for mp3 files) has a genre setting, but it wasn't very effective so they took it out in ID3v2.

By the way, are you in NZ? You're like a guy I know.
LuigiHann
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4241 was the best I could come up with. It would still be nice to have some broad sorting on the website, but it's easier said than done.
kingcobra52
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Download: xi-on - Mysterious Mountain (OnosakiHito) [Nold's Insane].osu
LuigiHann
The main problem is that there are potentially infinite genres. The only way this could work as a sorting method would be if we chose a fixed (small) number of categories and stuck with them. Even then someone would have to go through every map and sort them manually.
Atmey
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Olinad
I suppose we should make a double division: first of all songs should be divided for language (English, Japanese, Chinese, German, French, Dutch, Italian...) so that you can get a song in your language if you want. Then We should put them into categories, like Pop, Rock etc.
Obviously we would have all the languages in the genres, and all the genres in the languages... I dunno if I explained it clearly :D