forum

Passive HP drain in standard osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Avexis
As a preface I am not the best player in the world, not by a long shot. I am not commenting expecting any change to the game, rather I am just here expressing the one thing that triggers me the most.

Passive HP drain has screwed me over so many times on harder difficulties. I'm at the stage where I can pass high 5* - 6* maps (though it's usually with a C in accuracy lmao), so I understand that the one reply I will get is "Practice and get good". But, the issue is, this one feature really demotivates me to practice. For example, I was playing a high 5* beatmap of a song by Camellia (I forget which one rn), the drop was super difficult for me. This one time I got past it on about 1/4 health, after trying the song on and off for a few days. That was an achievement for me, but the next 20 seconds was really slow sliders, so slow that the decay killed me.

Yes, I did the drop badly, though I passed it none the less. It just felt like the game was chastising me for not doing it almost perfectly, and not giving me the sense of accomplishment for completing a hard part of a song, allowing me to try and complete the next hard part of the song. If I failed at the next hard part, I would feel a lot better about myself knowing I've progressed. However, failing to decay because of a slow section just made me stop playing that song all together, because I know that until I get better, I won't be able to complete that song at all.
Endaris
Drain is calculated across the health you can gain across the map.
That means during the drop, drain is weaker due to the presence of the slow part.
It is questionable whether you would be able to pass it with "about 1/4 health" without that in the first place.

If you want to play hard maps for passes, I recommend you to play Multiplayer as you can fight until the last second there.
Topic Starter
Avexis

Endaris wrote:

Drain is calculated across the health you can gain across the map.
That means during the drop, drain is weaker due to the presence of the slow part.
It is questionable whether you would be able to pass it with "about 1/4 health" without that in the first place.

If you want to play hard maps for passes, I recommend you to play Multiplayer as you can fight until the last second there.

I see, I never knew that it was precalculated. I haven't made a beatmap before and assumed that drain was a setting you could increase to increase the difficulty of a map.

I would play multiplayer if I didn't feel so embarrassed about my skills, and I don't have friends that play this. So maybe I'll just try go down the "git good" route.

Thanks for the reply!
Endaris
You're correct, you can increase the HP value of the difficulty to increase the drain overall but the actual drain in the song is always based on the map itself as well. You can easily verify this by adding a new combo to every single note in a map and you will see that passive drain becomes a lot stronger.
Vuelo Eluko
Also, if you decide for example to have a gigantic spot with no notes rather than using a break, you will massively reduce the drain of the map. hp7 can feel like hp3. But yeah if your map is very dense and heavy on new combos the opposite can happen, I've seen hp5 maps that feel like hp8.

Essentially the value of hard passes is intrinsic, as difficulty is subjective in those cases, there is no normalization of difficulty by star rating or even by hp drain when it comes to how hard maps are to pass.